IGNORED

Syd Barret - Have you got it yet?

Robbored

8 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Never rated them.

Wasn't one of them (Waters) recently called out for dressing/ appearing on stage as a Nazi?

https://metro.co.uk/2023/05/25/pink-floyds-roger-waters-angers-fans-by-dressing-as-nazi-ss-officer-18846233/

Waters is a difficult character with an inflated opinion of his own importance. His political views are particularly unpleasant. 

That said Waters is an excellent lyricist.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Never rated them.

Wasn't one of them (Waters) recently called out for dressing/ appearing on stage as a Nazi?

https://metro.co.uk/2023/05/25/pink-floyds-roger-waters-angers-fans-by-dressing-as-nazi-ss-officer-18846233/

But if you watch one of his later gigs released on bluray, there's a documentary about him visiting a site of civilian atrocities during the war.

On 16/05/2024 at 22:08, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Good film, but it left me wondering if Syd realised he wasn’t anywhere near as talented as the others.  His own songs were sh*t after all.  Sadly he came across as yet another pretty boy more popular for his looks than his ability (ditto J.Morrison, M.Hutchence, etc.).

The big difference between the other two that you mention (Jim Morrison and Michael Hutchence) is that their bands tanked after their deaths, as they were the lyricist and singer, while Pink Floyd actually improved and became far more successful after Syd Barrett left. As for Roger Waters and his recent comments/opinions, the less said the better…

• Like 1

On 16/05/2024 at 22:08, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Good film, but it left me wondering if Syd realised he wasn’t anywhere near as talented as the others.  His own songs were sh*t after all.  Sadly he came across as yet another pretty boy more popular for his looks than his ability (ditto J.Morrison, M.Hutchence, etc.).

have to politely disagree.   Jugband Blues is especially poignant.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Isawjonshaw said:

have to politely disagree.   Jugband Blues is especially poignant.

But any decent songs he wrote are more to do with that ‘English’ quirkiness.  So ‘Bike’ is a charming and whimsical song, but the main part of its attraction is the naivety of the lyrics and the simplicity of the music.  A band like Caravan produced something similar, but with better lyrics and music.

I can’t help but feel fond of Syd, but that’s more to with his little boy lost appeal, the knowledge of what happened to him subsequently, and the sadness that surrounds him.  The Madcap Laughs and the follow up album are difficult listens.

On 13/05/2024 at 23:08, CodeRed said:

Never rated them.

This has always been an integral part of 'The Wall' album which is a very complex concept album. The whole album and live show is about a delusional drug-addled rock star processing his life and the causes of his social isolation. In his drug-fueled delusions he becomes a fascist leader with his fans as his followers. He's acting out unpleasant characters when he wears 'Nazi' clothes on stage.

The Wall is semi-autobiographical and in fact a lot of the main character's issues just like Waters himself, are down to the death of his father in WW2. Roger Waters' father was killed fighting the Nazis in at Anzio in Italy in WW2, when Roger was 5 months old.

I don't know if it influenced him but some drug-addled rock-stars really did flirt with far-right politics in the 70s, particularly Eric Clapton and Bowie. Clapton had pro-NF, racist rants at shows and Bowie was accused of using the Nazi salute and made pro-Fascist statements in interviews.

However having defended The Wall I can't defend Waters recent anti-Semitic utterances and his anti-Ukrainian nonsense. He's pretty much lost the plot in recent years.

14 hours ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Love Floyd, but not so much Syd Barrett years. 

The Final Cut is my all time favourite Album.  When most others love The Wall or Dark Side. I can’t even explain why but I just love Final Cut. 

Hugely underappreciated and underrated album especially the remastered version with 'When the Tigers Broke Free' track added. Actually a Wall offcut but fits into TFC perfectly.

I love it too, it can't exist without The Wall but is good enough to stand on its own. It's also one of the darkest albums ever released.

• Like 1

On 02/06/2024 at 11:50, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I’m not a huge Floyd fan, but Atom Heart Mother, which is rarely talked about, has a special place for me, but largely because of the associations when I first heard it, with Meddle not far behind.  Then they ruined it by making Dark Side of the Moon 😂😂!

Some of Atom Heart Mother is right up there!  Meddle is my go to, but I think musically Wish You Were Here is their best.