IGNORED

Jon Lansdown on Bristol City's leadership structure, his dad's position and Richard Scudamore - Bristol Live

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What makes us such an unattractive proposition then..

It is maybe £10-20m depending, £25m at the very most.

Anything is saleable at the right price. In respect of the equity and cash injections, the Championship is a money pit but that is the price you pay- most clubs have to join the madness to some extent and people buying in should know this.

Yeah the Lansdowns have done good things but all good things must come to an end. The market moved on, if they won't or can't invest to the same level sell up to someone who can at a price that is saleable.

Maybe you should ask that question to Kieran Maguire? Would be interesting to hear the answer on the pod

• Like 1

18 hours ago, petehinton said:

Also, if he thinks first team managers and CEOs are the devil because “many of them aren’t attached” and “are just passing through”, wait until he hears about first team footballers!! 

To be fair, if JL had made this rambly statement straight after Mark Ashton left, we'd probably agree with him to an extent. 

We would also agree that it's better to have people with an affiliation to the club working in senior positions - so long as they are competent!

My personal opinion is that he can structure it any way he wants, so long as the output is right. They've gone for Manning, so they'll be judged on his his success or failure.

They've restricted the budget, but do seem to be recruiting well (possibly not well enough for a top 6 push, tbc). And we'll see how they get on from a commercial angle.

Comms has always been terrible and at least they are trying to rectify that. JL is not a competent public speaker, but he's actually less shit than his Dad, who just comes across as an arse. 

It's hard not to be extremely skeptical when we've seen so much clumsiness in the last few years, but hey, if we have a good season they're off the hook to a degree.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, aa_bcfc said:

I expect Birmingham City fans are delighted with their owners. 

Come back with that quote in 3 years & see who is nearer to the Prem, eh?

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Jacki said:

I’ve only just seen the article and read this thread.

The interview is concerning on lots of levels. Jon L is a really poor communicator and with some of it you have to read what he’s said several times to make sense of it. It’s incoherent nonsense in the main.

As for the sentiments of the interview, he’s clearly stating what many of us have suspected for a while. They don’t want anyone that will challenge them as they think they know best. They don’t want to work with football experts with a track record because they come with ‘egos’ and are career focused, ‘on the way through’. The lack of understanding there is remarkable…. Pretty much all of our players would bugger off if a bigger offer came in (see Conway at the moment) and our ‘Head Coach’ did exactly that when he came here. That’s how football works, in the boardroom and all the way down. It’s a ruthless, meritocratic industry with no real security for most people who work within it and as a result, most people are in it for themselves. As for the ego stuff…. The Lansdowns have the biggest egos of all as they simply can’t tolerate being questioned and get rid of anyone who dares to do so. 

I said this when Pearson and Alexander went and I’ll say it again now…. We now have nobody at this football club with any track record of success at this level. Those at the top are arrogant enough to think they know best, and if we start to really struggle at any point I worry that they’ll have no idea how to get us out of trouble. 

Incredible isn’t it?

I’m looking forward to the third part today!

35 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Incredible isn’t it?

I’m looking forward to the third part today!

He’ll be covering all of life’s important subjects today. And we’ll all have to read it 9 times to try and work out what the hell he’s on about 😃

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Jacki said:

He’ll be covering all of life’s important subjects today. And we’ll all have to read it 9 times to try and work out what the hell he’s on about 😃

You and @Harry are on interpreter-duty today!

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Jon Letdown serves up another befuddled word salad.

I bet he thought his interview was a little Gem.

However after Lansdown Caesar leafs through the contents, Junior will probably be given another dressing down.

Thyme for the old man to give him the rocket.

Lettuce hope he's gone soon.

Cos if not, we're heading directly for the iceberg.

That was all greek to me!

However after Lansdown Caesar leafs through the contents, Junior will probably be given another dressing down.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

The club continues to look like a laughing stock, how on earth can this gimp continue to peddle such nonsense is beyond parody - get out

Given the structure created (ie: Bristol Sport) I don't think getting out is as easy as we all think. Was an admirable concept but think may have backfired and created something of a white elephant in marketing terms.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Maybe you should ask that question to Kieran Maguire? Would be interesting to hear the answer on the pod

Perhaps I will. I think it is mainly the asking price but that doesn't explain why Ipswich up to £100m or so for a 40% stake was it..then again that is out of kilter.

Birmingham are another weird one, I suppose they see potential given it is the 2nd city but the ROI in either of these is tricky to see a path to it. Ipswich caught the crest of a wave but up to £100m for 40%...hmm.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

Didn't read or listen to Lansdown. But concerned to see that next season Bristol Beats will not be spending up to the salary cap as most other Rugby clubs will be, as for example Bath, who seem to buy any player they want. They will rely on experienced players developing the young players. It doesn't fill me with much confidence of our spend this summer. I was never that confident anyway but reading this suggests the spend will be kept as tight as possible. I cannot see it anywhere near meeting Manning's idea of being backed in the transfer market 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

On 17/05/2024 at 14:26, cidercity1987 said:

Funny as **** that they then got rid of the guy who was least focused on his career (been there, done it, nothing to prove) and had settled into the area

For Manning who is absolutely the most career focused, Bristol could be anywhere, coach we have ever had

Superb post! The interview for me just underlined how hopeless and clueless about football they are. This deluded view that we are different to everyone else and that we will achieve success that way is laughable. Everyone is passing through in football, including Lansdown. 

On 17/05/2024 at 14:26, cidercity1987 said:

Funny as **** that they then got rid of the guy who was least focused on his career (been there, done it, nothing to prove) and had settled into the area

For Manning who is absolutely the most career focused, Bristol could be anywhere, coach we have ever had

Superb post! The interview for me just underlined how hopeless and clueless about football they are. This deluded view that we are different to everyone else and that we will achieve success that way is laughable. Everyone is passing through in football, including Lansdown. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Didn't read or listen to Lansdown. But concerned to see that next season Bristol Beats will not be spending up to the salary cap as most other Rugby clubs will be, as for example Bath, who seem to buy any player they want. They will rely on experienced players developing the young players. It doesn't fill me with much confidence of our spend this summer. I was never that confident anyway but reading this suggests the spend will be kept as tight as possible. I cannot see it anywhere near meeting Manning's idea of being backed in the transfer market 

Here is my take fwiw. It's disappointing if accurate even partially but...

We as a club are waiting, have been waiting post Covid for the much trumpeted a) Financial reforms and b) Redistribution to kick in.

This will mean less reliance on owner funding, as football wages and player amortisation, impairment and some other items can be only 70% of turnover.

Until that kicks in however we are kind of stuck while SL is unwilling or unable to keep putting in as much as he once did. I hope I'm proven wrong.

• Flames 2

8 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Where’s that been stated? He was moaning about the cap being too low previously. 

4 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

This is all part of the same piece. SL is fed up of losing money through Bristol Sport, and is trying to reduce his losses by investing less in the first place. It’s more risky for City than the rugby team as they aren’t at risk of relegation, whereas we know that relegation for City would blow a hole in the financial planning and any chance of a sale. Even in that case we should still be a better option for a sale and investment than the “Blue Few” but perhaps not while we are bundled in with all of the other BS issues.

15 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

7 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Where’s that been stated? He was moaning about the cap being too low previously. 

7 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

This is all part of the same piece. SL is fed up of losing money through Bristol Sport, and is trying to reduce his losses by investing less in the first place. It’s more risky for City than the rugby team as they aren’t at risk of relegation, whereas we know that relegation for City would blow a hole in the financial planning and any chance of a sale. Even in that case we should still be a better option for a sale and investment than the “Blue Few” but perhaps not while we are bundled in with all of the other BS issues.

No, the reason Bears may not spend up to the full cap limit is due to the TV deal:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2024/05/07/premiership-richest-club-bristol-spending-short-salary-cap/

8 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Pat Lam in an article in Bristol Live about going with a smaller squad and saying they will not be spending up to the cap.

• Like 1

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

No, the reason Bears may not spend up to the full cap limit is due to the TV deal:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2024/05/07/premiership-richest-club-bristol-spending-short-salary-cap/

True but SL isn’t putting in more to make up the difference - unlike some other clubs and owners e.g. Bath, Saracens,Leicester etc.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

How do we get unbundled. Because without that who is going to replace the Lansdowns or invest in City. So many clubs are getting outside investors. Even Wycombe have been taken over by a Billionaire. Yet no sign of anything for us. Or does someone know something.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

True but SL isn’t putting in more to make up the difference - unlike some other clubs and owners e.g. Bath, Saracens,Leicester etc.

3 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

What a shame the other clubs in the Rugby premiership haven't followed suit. 

What I would say is that following Bears' outstanding second half of the season, playing the style of rugby he wants, it wouldn't surprise me if SL did loosen the purse strings a little more... 

8 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

How do we get unbundled. Because without that who is going to replace the Lansdowns or invest in City. So many clubs are getting outside investors. Even Wycombe have been taken over by a Billionaire. Yet no sign of anything for us. Or does someone know something.

The issue is in part that the asking price is high (SL wants to recoup all his losses), but also the incredibly complicated structure that has been set up between the various teams and organisations. Anyone wanting to buy us would also clearly want the stadium and the HPC. But I can’t see SL wanting to be left holding the rest of Bristol Sport plus you have this problem with the Premiership Rugby rules, where their teams and fixtures have to take precedence at “their” ground. So we aren’t even the principal team playing at the Gate any more in terms of arranging fixtures. Good job there are only 9 home fixtures a season in the Premiership Rugby now…

Edited by Dr Balls
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

What I would say is that following Bears' outstanding second half of the season, playing the style of rugby he wants, it wouldn't surprise me if SL did loosen the purse strings a little more... 

I am sure he will be doing that anyway however the Bears were playing. Their tremendous end to the season will be used to justify his increasing lack of investment in the squad.

2 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

The club continues to look like a laughing stock, how on earth can this gimp continue to peddle such nonsense is beyond parody - get out

A very stable club in no danger whatsoever of having a visit from the administrators(thanks to a certain somebody), top quality facilities top half of the championship team with new additions to arrive this summer yeah a real laughing stock.

• Facepalm 3

50 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

A very stable club in no danger whatsoever of having a visit from the administrators(thanks to a certain somebody), top quality facilities top half of the championship team with new additions to arrive this summer yeah a real laughing stock.

Wouldn't say we are a laughing stock but the governance is suspect and it feels like we at top brass level, don't waste an opportunity to waste an opportunity.

I hope summer recruitment proves me wrong, there is in some ways a solid base...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Basically covered it a few months ago when they talked about clubs like Barcelona with multiple sports under one 'umbrella.' It may work for Barca but the conclusion was," why would someone want to buy three  loss making clubs in one hit."

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Perhaps I will. I think it is mainly the asking price but that doesn't explain why Ipswich up to £100m or so for a 40% stake was it..then again that is out of kilter.

Birmingham are another weird one, I suppose they see potential given it is the 2nd city but the ROI in either of these is tricky to see a path to it. Ipswich caught the crest of a wave but up to £100m for 40%...hmm.

check your inbox mate👍

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Basically covered it a few months ago when they talked about clubs like Barcelona with multiple sports under one 'umbrella.' It may work for Barca but the conclusion was," why would someone want to buy three  loss making clubs in one hit."

Yes I heard that, KM also said the failure of BCFC is mismanagement.