IGNORED

A superb tribute - Graham Muxworthy.

Graham Muxworthy

Graham Muxworthy, whose death has recently been announced, had links to both of Bristol’s professional football clubs, as a player, Youth Team Coach and Centre of Excellence Director with Rovers and as an Academy and Centre of Excellence Coach with City. 

Born in Bristol on 11th October 1938, Graham played for the successful local side Exeter United prior to signing for Crystal Palace in September 1957 and he would go on to appear in two league games whilst at Selhurst Park. 

In August 1958 he joined Chippenham Town and it was from there, in June 1960, that he arrived at Eastville. However, it wasn’t until the 1962/63 campaign that he was handed a first team opportunity with Rovers. 

Freezing conditions had caused a huge fixture backlog and Graham appeared in eight games during April 1963 when he replaced Ian Hamilton in the team. Rovers drew four, won two and lost two of those games but he was released in the summer of that year and joined Bridgwater Town. 

He later appeared for Glastonbury, Bath City, Salisbury City and Weston super Mare and spent time as manager of Frome Town. 

Having worked under Rovers’ boss Gerry Francis, as Youth Team Manager, during his first spell in charge Graham returned to the club when Francis began his second stint as manager in 2001.

Speaking at the time of his appointment as Centre of Excellence Director at Rovers in September 2001, Graham said; ‘It’s a long time since I played for the club, but I remember it being a very enjoyable time in my career. 

‘I have worked for the club since then and was Youth Team Manager the first time Gerry Francis was manager here. However, when Martin Dobson was appointed as manager I was told that my services were no longer required and I went on to become Centre of Excellence Director at Millfield School before joining Bristol City where I have worked in their Centre of Excellence and Academy for the last seven years.’ 

Following his departure from Rovers the second time around Graham became heavily involved, once again, with Bristol City’s Academy and worked for them beyond his 80th birthday. In fact, on the occasion of that milestone, numerous tributes were paid to him and his work with City’s youngsters over the years highly praised. 

Throughout his coaching career he inspired many youngsters who went on to enjoy careers as professional footballers and he will be missed by all who came into contact with him. 

We send our condolences to Graham’s family and to his many friends at this sad time.

Keith Brookman May 2024

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

I knew Graham in the mid 1950's when schoolfriends and other teenagers would have a kick around in Greville Smyth Park.

He would be the very competent one playing, not just football but cricket as well. I can remember clean bowling him when the ball hit a divot and scooted along the ground causing him to miss it!

He was very difficult to play against and hardly got bowled out.

Fond memories of carefree childhood.

RIP