IGNORED

Crawley v Crewe

3 hours ago, richwwtk said:

We had a 2-1 win at Crewe which gave Gerry Sweeney his 100% record as City manager.

Walsall bought their stiffs down to play Milford Green in deepest Surrey when Gerry was the coach there. Rainy day dodgy pitch and an 8/0 score line but I got to stand next to him a feat not achieved again until Gerry Gow testimonial dinner. Gerry swears he didn’t handle the ball before he scored the equalizer at Charlton. You had to have been there to understand the importance of that hit!

I only know with certainty one other poster that was there other me and my old man !

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Congrats Crawley. Pleased for their Manager, Scott Lindsey too - suffered some personal tragedies in his life:

“He was married to Hayley for 16 years until her death from cancer at the age of 44 in November 2019. The couple had three daughters.[22] His brother Matthew died in a motorcycle accident in 1995 on his way back from watching Lindsey play in a match.”

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

We were away at Crawley on what shall forever be known as Colin Daniel Day.

Soft spot indeed! No one cared less. I switched commentary to the events at Horfield. Oh yeah Colin! I still think we should sign him in some capacity. Kitman assistant or something like that

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Soft spot indeed! No one cared less. I switched commentary to the events at Horfield. Oh yeah Colin! I still think we should sign him in some capacity. Kitman assistant or something like that

We should get Elton John to write a song for him. 😉

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I assume they will be trying to charter planes to Gatwick to save congesting the M23? 😀

They can't even congest the M32 can they?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Red Army 79 said:

Noticed that Crawley lost 18 league games this season 😂.

got to be close to a record surely of most loses in a season for a promoted team?

Only lost one less game than Huddersfield, yet one team goes up while the other goes down.

Incredible really

• Like 2

Superb management from Scott Lindsay someone whose own story is quite inspiring in its own right, excellent side with a unique style for that level (though risky hence the defeats) there play off wins over MK were some of the best EFL performances I saw last season ...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, xerox6060 said:

Superb management from Scott Lindsay someone whose own story is quite inspiring in its own right, excellent side with a unique style for that level (though risky hence the defeats) there play off wins over MK were some of the best EFL performances I saw last season ...

I really liked the variety of their tactics.

Really clever use of Addai in build-up in the first semi, launching balls into the MK box, meant MK didn’t know whether to stick or twist in the press, and they stuck.  Having pinned MK back, they then had space to pass their way up the pitch with MK too spread out to close them down.  Simple, but hugely effective.

On 19/05/2024 at 14:47, Lanterne Rouge said:

It is going to be so funny when Crawley turn over the s*gs next season.

Already beat them 2-1 in the EFL Cup this season!

I'm sure Rovers away will be the first fixture many Crawley fans will be looking for when they come out. The chance to visit such a magnificent arena and compete against a team with a 'reasonable' budget

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, fgrsimon said:

Already beat them 2-1 in the EFL Cup this season!

I'm sure Rovers away will be the first fixture many Crawley fans will be looking for when they come out. The chance to visit such a magnificent arena and compete against a team with a 'reasonable' budget

Absolutely.

Why would they think about games at Bolton, Huddersfield or Birmingham when they can visit that shit tip.

• Haha 1

On 19/05/2024 at 14:55, REDOXO said:

Walsall bought their stiffs down to play Milford Green in deepest Surrey when Gerry was the coach there. Rainy day dodgy pitch and an 8/0 score line but I got to stand next to him a feat not achieved again until Gerry Gow testimonial dinner. Gerry swears he didn’t handle the ball before he scored the equalizer at Charlton. You had to have been there to understand the importance of that hit!

I only know with certainty one other poster that was there other me and my old man !

On 19/05/2024 at 14:55, REDOXO said:

I was there Redoxo, 2-2 draw Friday night IIRC, sat in ancient wooden ( I think ) stand ,..... opposite that massive weed ridden terracing,.... as you say hugely significant result.

56 minutes ago, 7 or 11 magpies said:

I was there Redoxo, 2-2 draw Friday night IIRC, sat in ancient wooden ( I think ) stand ,..... opposite that massive weed ridden terracing,.... as you say hugely significant result.

I was also there, but on a sunny Saturday afternoon, and well remember looking aghast at the ‘massive, weed ridden terracing’ opposite.

I didn’t stay there for very long though, as we were shortly confronted by a mass of (apparently) Millwall or West Ham fans - I can’t remember which, but there were quite a few of them, mainly docker types, so quite hairy: I mean the situation was quite hairy, not necessarily the other fans.

48 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I was also there, but on a sunny Saturday afternoon, and well remember looking aghast at the ‘massive, weed ridden terracing’ opposite.

I didn’t stay there for very long though, as we were shortly confronted by a mass of (apparently) Millwall or West Ham fans - I can’t remember which, but there were quite a few of them, mainly docker types, so quite hairy: I mean the situation was quite hairy, not necessarily the other fans.

Friday night in March '76, caught the midnight (approx) train at Paddington back, bumped into some lads on train knew from watching Somerset cricket who had also been to the Valley earlier, can't remember who got our other goal.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 7 or 11 magpies said:

Friday night in March '76, caught the midnight (approx) train at Paddington back, bumped into some lads on train knew from watching Somerset cricket who had also been to the Valley earlier, can't remember who got our other goal.

This was clearly a totally different game, although both were played at The Valley.

We caught a ‘football special’ from Temple Meads and got off within walking distance of the ground.

It would have been around the same sort of time, mid/late 1970s.

In fact, looking back through the records, it was probably April 1970 or October 1971.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 7 or 11 magpies said:

👍🏿

Gerry Gow got our first. If I remember both their goals came from crosses that sailed over Ray Cashley’s head. Sweeney’s goal was lateish. 

I was right behind the goal exactly in line with Gerry Sweeney when the ball dropped to him. As he said to me it was a little bit stuck under his feet but he never needed a lot of back lift. Top Corner. 😝 we went mental. 

So that’s you, me and @Nogbad the Bad  We are gentlemen of a certain age, for sure, that can remember away games in a promotion season 48 years ago.