IGNORED

Today's games

Super

12 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

For this season.

Second highest net spend over the past decade with the highest wage bill.

They spend a bucket load and win everything, it's all rather boring really.

Hard to get excited about today with all those charges hanging over them, if they are found to have broken rules what does it mean for this season?

It probably wouldn't impact this season. The latest charges against them are, iirc, related to 2017/18, so it's likely that is the latest season where they could possibly have a title stripped from them (either directly, or perhaps indirectly through something like a retrospective points deduction). These are example punishments only, no-one really knows exactly what punishment they may suffer.

But, even if they didn't get the most recent trophies taken off them, any finding of guilt would still mean that the entire foundation of their dynasty is shit. Big stinky fraudulent shit.

Allegedly.

I'm torn between not wanting them to win anything, and thinking that the more they win the funnier it will be to see the PL/UAE's darlings come tumbling down.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

For this season.

Second highest net spend over the past decade with the highest wage bill.

They spend a bucket load and win everything, it's all rather boring really.

Hard to get excited about today with all those charges hanging over them, if they are found to have broken rules what does it mean for this season?

It's all well and good spending money. But as we've seen with other clubs, spending money doesn't = success. 

Man City posted 80 million plus profits for last season. If it was all about spending money to win like you suggest then they'd have spent that too.

You don't potentially win 4 Premier league titles going toe to toe with some great competitors in a row by simply spending money. Hence why its never been done before. 

On Google most of the results say Man Utd have the highest wage bill which is evidence once again that spending money doesn't = success. 

• Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

It probably wouldn't impact this season. The latest charges against them are, iirc, related to 2017/18, so it's likely that is the latest season where they could possibly have a title stripped from them (either directly, or perhaps indirectly through something like a retrospective points deduction). These are example punishments only, none really knows exactly what punishment they may suffer.

But, even if they didn't get the most recent trophies taken off them, any finding of guilt would still mean that the entire foundation of their dynasty is shit. Big stinky fraudulent shit.

Allegedly.

I'm torn between not wanting them to win anything, and thinking that the more they win the funnier it will be to see the PL/UAE's darlings come tumbling down.

The season they signed Laporte, Mendy, Walker, Bernardo Silva and Ederson then?

A not insignificant number of big signings who played a part of their squad in more titles after that.

The season before that there was Stones, Jesus, Sane and Gundogan.

The season before that having De Bruyne, Otamendi and Sterling.

A large chunk of their squad that's still winning (as it stands) the title this season were players signed under the period that's getting investigated.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

It probably wouldn't impact this season. The latest charges against them are, iirc, related to 2017/18, so it's likely that is the latest season where they could possibly have a title stripped from them (either directly, or perhaps indirectly through something like a retrospective points deduction).

The majority of charges span 2009-10 to 2017-18 season, but some of the charges of failure of co-operation with the PL investigations go right up to February 2023. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It's all well and good spending money. But as we've seen with other clubs, spending money doesn't = success. 

Man City posted 80 million plus profits for last season. If it was all about spending money to win like you suggest then they'd have spent that too.

You don't potentially win 4 Premier league titles going toe to toe with some great competitors in a row by simply spending money. Hence why its never been done before. 

On Google most of the results say Man Utd have the highest wage bill which is evidence once again that spending money doesn't = success. 

I don't doubt how impressive their success has been, but it wouldn't have happened without the billions they've chucked at it.

Having the highest wage bill in the league allows them to afford a deeper squad than anyone else, it creates a boring league where we know the outcome, that doesn't interest me at all.

Nobody has spent money to the level they have before, incredible that they can afford to spend 40 odd million on Kalvin Phillips, never play him and it all be ok.

£400 million worth of players on their bench alone today, how can the majority of teams keep up with that?

Edited by JBFC II
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

The season they signed Laporte, Mendy, Walker, Bernardo Silva and Ederson then?

A not insignificant number of big signings who played a part of their squad in more titles after that.

The season before that there was Stones, Jesus, Sane and Gundogan.

The season before that having De Bruyne, Otamendi and Sterling.

A large chunk of their squad that's still winning (as it stands) the title this season were players signed under the period that's getting investigated.

Yes, if anyone, or any company, spends a high level of money, more than their neighbours or competitors, over a decade, then that will likely embed superiority.

We see this elsewhere when we talk about societal generational privilege, or hereditary wealth. 

Anyway, Arsenal are no angels in that department of course. Moving from Woolwich for financial gain, buying their way into the first division (allegedly but almost certainly), being the original "Bank of England" club (so rich they could build that old art deco frontage at Highbury). 

So being financially/morally dodgy isn't something that Man City invented.

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The majority of charges span 2009-10 to 2017-18 season, but some of the charges of failure of co-operation with the PL investigations go right up to February 2023. 

Yes, but I doubt they'd get a sporting sanction (points deduction) for failing to cooperate. So I didn't refer to those.

I suspect those 35 are the easiest to prove for the PL. But likely to bring only a slap on the wrist for procedural failures. Maybe.

Edited by ExiledAjax

15 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

Net spend on transfers for one season.

But not what they've spent on the squad, the wages they pay etc 

You bitch and moan when people point out you being disingenuous, or outright denying reality, but then you go and be disingenuous over and over.

Yes Man City have spent a lot, but then so have others, yet Man City are the only ones on the cusp of 4 in a row. 

The only ones denying reality is those who say spending money = success. I thought we were all football fans on here and understood how incredibly difficult it would be to motivate a team every day for 4 years in a row. Obviously not. 

The premier league isn't a farmers league. 

I was replying to this which was about this season. "Team that spends the most money wins the league"

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Yes Man City have spent a lot, but then so have others, yet Man City are the only ones on the cusp of 4 in a row. 

The only ones denying reality is those who say spending money = success. I thought we were all football fans on here and understood how incredibly difficult it would be to motivate a team every day for 4 years in a row. Obviously not. 

The premier league isn't a farmers league. 

I was replying to this which was about this season. "Team that spends the most money wins the league"

Do I get to do what you do now and focus on this and cry about being insulted instead of addressing the flaws in what you said?

How dare you scorn me so!

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I don't doubt how impressive their success has been, but it wouldn't have happened without the billions they've chucked at it.

Having the highest wage bill in the league allows them to afford a deeper squad than anyone else, it creates a boring league where we know the outcome, that doesn't interest me at all.

Nobody has spent money to the level they have before, incredible that they can afford to spend 40 odd million on Kalvin Phillips, never play him and it all be ok.

£400 million worth of players on their bench alone today, how can the majority of teams keep up with that?

I agree that the money has of course played a big part. But then you can say the same for other teams and other sports. 

There is far more to it than just spending money. 

Others have pissed money up the wall and not had success. 

What Man City have done is spent money extremely well where they are now making profits. Bar Haaland you don't see them signing superstars like Mbappe etc. 

Everything they do is done to an incredible high performance from recruitment to coaching. 

Teams are going toe to toe with Man City in the league. 

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I agree that the money has of course played a big part. But then you can say the same for other teams and other sports. 

There is far more to it than just spending money. 

Others have pissed money up the wall and not had success. 

What Man City have done is spent money extremely well where they are now making profits. Bar Haaland you don't see them signing superstars like Mbappe etc. 

Everything they do is done to an incredible high performance from recruitment to coaching. 

Teams are going toe to toe with Man City in the league. 

They spend big money on young players with high ceilings, it's a good way of doing things but doesn't detract from the fact they spend obscene amounts of money to stockpile talent.

Teams come close but ultimately don't have the depth come the end of the season that Man City have. 21 internationals throughout their squad is crazy with the squad cap teams have.

Imo football should bring in a wage cap to stop this sort of spending, create a more equal playing field

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

They spend big money on young players with high ceilings, it's a good way of doing things but doesn't detract from the fact they spend obscene amounts of money to stockpile talent.

Teams come close but ultimately don't have the depth come the end of the season that Man City have. 21 internationals throughout their squad is crazy with the squad cap teams have.

Imo football should bring in a wage cap to stop this sort of spending, create a more equal playing field

But the same options are open to other clubs of course. Man City scout, recruit and develop incredibly well. 

If you're making 80 million profits then that does give you the ability to spend more than others. 

I do agree about a wage cap. I like the NFL model. 

I'm a football fan so I appreciate how historic 4 in a row is. Just like how I remember and appreciate Man Utds treble. 

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Incredible scenes at the Etihad. Wouldn't see pitch invasions at many other Premier league grounds. 

Good to see the fans reminding those watching they were all there after being silent for 90 minutes!

3 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Good to see the fans reminding those watching they were all there after being silent for 90 minutes!

Dunno what it was like as I wasn't there. 

My son wants to go to the trophy parade tho so I'll let you know what the atmosphere is like for that. 

• Facepalm 1

9 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Dunno what it was like as I wasn't there. 

My son wants to go to the trophy parade tho so I'll let you know what the atmosphere is like for that. 

It was silent on the tv, incredible really that a club going for their 4th straight title can’t create a bit of atmosphere.

Great team on the pitch, nothing going for them off it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yes, if anyone, or any company, spends a high level of money, more than their neighbours or competitors, over a decade, then that will likely embed superiority.

We see this elsewhere when we talk about societal generational privilege, or hereditary wealth. 

Anyway, Arsenal are no angels in that department of course. Moving from Woolwich for financial gain, buying their way into the first division (allegedly but almost certainly), being the original "Bank of England" club (so rich they could build that old art deco frontage at Highbury). 

So being financially/morally dodgy isn't something that Man City invented.

Yes, but I doubt they'd get a sporting sanction (points deduction) for failing to cooperate. So I didn't refer to those.

I suspect those 35 are the easiest to prove for the PL. But likely to bring only a slap on the wrist for procedural failures. Maybe.

Not disputing that other clubs have benefitted from spending big money before 

Blackburn and Chelsea both other examples

Has a club done it with so many (alleged) breaches and cheating as Man City though? 

Great effort by Palace in the last 7 games of the season, 19pts from 21.

Sheffield Utd, dogshit football, less than 0.5pts per game, conceded 100+goals, 3rd worst ever PL seasonal performance, and handsomely rewarded for failure.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

But the same options are open to other clubs of course. Man City scout, recruit and develop incredibly well. 

If you're making 80 million profits then that does give you the ability to spend more than others. 

I do agree about a wage cap. I like the NFL model. 

I'm a football fan so I appreciate how historic 4 in a row is. Just like how I remember and appreciate Man Utds treble. 

Those options like being part of a 13 club group and shady transfer dealings between them?

Like Troyes making a record signing, then loaning him out to Girona (part owned by Pep's brother) and then selling that player to Man City without ever playing a game for Troyes?

With there having to be a change in the Girona ownership for next season or they'll be demoted to the Europa League because it would otherwise conflict with the UEFA policy of clubs owned by the same people not being in the same competition.

7 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

Not disputing that other clubs have benefitted from spending big money before 

Blackburn and Chelsea both other examples

Has a club done it with so many (alleged) breaches and cheating as Man City though? 

Probably not.

But then football has never seen so many rules and regulations in place before.