IGNORED

God I hate plastic premiership fans

26 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Undoubtedly it is. Wandering around Nailsea Farmer market on Saturday I saw two lads wearing a Man Utd and Spurs shirts. I also saw another lad wearing a football shirt that I didn’t recognise although it looked similar to a  Brighton shirt and I looked closely at the badge and asked him which team it was ‘Porto’ he said. 

I’ve not seen a Porto shirt in Nailsea before………..:dunno:

Real “when the Common Market comes to Stanton Drew” vibes about this story..

• Like 2

I come from County Durham  so Middlesbrough Sunderland or Newcastle who I chose.

Now a City fan over 25 years because my young brother in law want to go because his dad was a City Fan .    As  a lad i only knew teams through magazines  and was proud of where i come from

• Like 1

Other side of the coin; a sports shop in Cambridge is run by an exiled Scot. He sells, for those who want them, Stenhousemuir shirts and has registered himself as the Cambridge branch of their Supporters Club. A few years ago, for some reason, he was also selling Burnley away shirts.

Back to plastics; 2008 last game of the season before the play offs and in the East End, right of the front was young lad proudly wearing his Liverpool shirt.

He's got plastic heart, plastic teeth and toes,
(Yeah, he's plastic man)
He's got plastic knees and a perfect plastic nose.
(Yeah, he's plastic man)
He's got plastic lips that hide his plastic teeth and gums,
And plastic legs that reach up to his plastic bum.
(Plastic bum)

14 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

So? My mate is a Man United fan and Bristolian.  Supports them cos of his dad and grandfather.  

We’ve got Liverpool and Man City fans on this forum.  Seems odd to me but each to their own.  Too old to be caring about such matters

That old chestnut.

They dont REALLY support em... They support sky sports and bt sports in reality.

Its not the same as us city fans who actually support our club.

• Like 3

Have to go some to exceed some of the plastic Liverpool fans I used the same pub as.

Never seen a live football match in any league involving any clubs, have never applied for any club membership AND they all had fake shirts either from a mate who went to Thailand, or from some dodgy online site.

But, whilst they didn't commit any spend or time with the club, they all claimed support.

Thing is, whilst that sounds comical, most of them were on very limited incomes and hadn't come from backgrounds where going to a game was a thing.

You can question a lot of it, but in general, a lot of them found a place they could meet, chat with other people about their favourite side and feel included.

That's no bad thing.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, glynriley said:
He's got plastic heart, plastic teeth and toes,
(Yeah, he's plastic man)
He's got plastic knees and a perfect plastic nose.
(Yeah, he's plastic man)
He's got plastic lips that hide his plastic teeth and gums,
And plastic legs that reach up to his plastic bum.
(Plastic bum)

Good old Ray Davies....

I was thinking Radiohead, with one of my favourite lyrics ever.

"She lives with a broken man, a cracked polystyrene man, who just crumbles and burns.

He used to do surgery

For girls in the eighties

But gravity always wins"

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Good fishing attempt 

No fishing.

They are glory hunters - got no real connection with man utd, other than the glory.

I mean, why dont they and there family support stockport county.... i wonder why

#plastic

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Riaz said:

No fishing.

They are glory hunters - got no real connection with man utd, other than the glory.

I mean, why dont they and there family support stockport county.... i wonder why

#plastic

If your dad started taking you to watch a team at the age of 8 then you’d probably end up supporting that team.  He’s Bristolian and his dad is a Manc.  There are different reasons why people would support teams from different cities to which they were born.  Some are certainly plastic, some aren’t. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

If your dad started taking you to watch a team at the age of 8 then you’d probably end up supporting that team.  He’s Bristolian and his dad is a Manc.  There are different reasons why people would support teams from different cities to which they were born.  Some are certainly plastic, some aren’t. 

If his dad is a manc - fair do's.

When its a family all from bristol - all subscribing to sky sports and they buy a replica once a year - thats just a plastic fan and commerical customer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Undoubtedly it is. Wandering around Nailsea Farmer market on Saturday I saw two lads wearing a Man Utd and Spurs shirts. I also saw another lad wearing a football shirt that I didn’t recognise although it looked similar to a  Brighton shirt and I looked closely at the badge and asked him which team it was ‘Porto’ he said. 

I’ve not seen a Porto shirt in Nailsea before………..:dunno:

If you’re gonna go round staring at lads chest, I’d think up a more convincing story..

• Haha 3

It’s easy really,fans go to every game they can(circumstances allowing),they are fanatics who live and breath their club,supporters go when ever they can ,and their teams result is the first they look out for every time they play.Followers are just that,they follow teams results and league positions,but if their particularly team lose,it’s soon forgotten.Next door is a Liverpool follower,never ever been to Anfield ,next door to him is an Arsenal follower,never ever been to The Emirates.To be fair the Liverpool follower did used to go and watch The Sags when he was younger,no idea why he follows Liverpool though.

23 minutes ago, myol'man said:

God I hate it when people call the Premier League the Premiership.

A guy I used to play football with used to call the Carling Premier drink, Carling Premiership!

Edited by Davefevs

On 20/05/2024 at 14:15, Bazooka Joe said:

The worst plastic is that bloody self-obsessed Bertrand.

He's all "me, me, me"

And he drives a car using unleaded fuel so it seems

"sans plombe pour moi"

• Haha 1

Is it also wrong to support/follow a lesser team? Or does it only apply to glory hunting?

I follow (mostly from afar) Crewe Alex, as my Grandad used to be a fan. My cousin got married on the centre spot at Gresty road. Grandad was always a bit jealous that I supported a “successful club” like City.

The play off final was a hard watch 😒

• Like 2

Lot of hyper-defensive fans posting on this thread.

Just to clarify again, a 'plastic fan' doesn't mean being fan of a club your family has a connection with, or perhaps somewhere where you used to live.

It means ignoring your local side(s) and instead choosing a club as your main team solely on the basis that they are successful and then loudly going on about how you follow this team - despite never (or virtually never) having seen them play live.

• Like 9
  • Flames 2

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Lot of hyper-defensive fans posting on this thread.

Just to clarify again, a 'plastic fan' doesn't mean being fan of a club your family has a connection with, or perhaps somewhere where you used to live.

It means ignoring your local side(s) and instead choosing a club as your main team solely on the basis that they are successful and then loudly going on about how you follow this team - despite never (or virtually never) having seen them play live.

You have well and truly hit the nail on the head 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't class myself as a 'plastic' as it's City over everything, even England nowadays (been there done that 88, 90, 92, 96) tbh but I do have a slight 'thing' for Spurs, purely down to when they hammered some crappy little team 9 nil when I was a nipper.

Through friends, I have been to Dortmund a few times and it's awesome but they will never come anywhere near to my feelings about our club, regardless of how good they are or how bad we are.

12 hours ago, Ring said:

Is it also wrong to support/follow a lesser team? Or does it only apply to glory hunting?

I follow (mostly from afar) Crewe Alex, as my Grandad used to be a fan. My cousin got married on the centre spot at Gresty road. Grandad was always a bit jealous that I supported a “successful club” like City.

The play off final was a hard watch 😒

I lived in Crewe for a while, so look out for their results too.

• Like 1

I have been watching city for 50 years,I have a season ticket but still support villa and go when I can.does that make a bad person.how about the ones who only go to city when we have big games ie west ham.the glory hunters.