IGNORED

Jon Lansdown on buyouts, budgets and why Liam Manning can raise the bar at Bristol City

43 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Lower the price and maybe you’ll create interest in investment Jon.  Simple really.

Nobody is gonna pay £x hundred million for a mid-table Championship club.

Absobloominlutely. We have potential but you don’t pay top dollar for potential. You buy with a view to realising it and ‘ profiting ‘ further down the line from the work put in. 

Edited by Major Isewater
  • Like 5

A lot of word salad again but a few interesting takes - this quote sticks out:

”And it’s difficult when you’ve joined, having not managed in the league in a really busy campaign. We have been playing a game every 3-4 days in reality.

You can see an improvement after our last international break where we’ve had a couple of weeks (training). So you like to think, okay, well if we’ve got six weeks to really set it, how much are you going to improve? And that’s with any player or coach adjusting to the division and once you’ve seen four, five, six months, you’ve seen everything you need to see, so therefore you’ve got a real chance to hit the ground running next year.”

Now, the first part there plays to the theory that they wrote the season off on appointment and didn’t expect anything - Liam needing time to adapt to the level and the number of games (and I’ll say again that second point is utter, utter tripe as it’s literally the job).

But the second part is the really interesting bit. You pick the bones out of it then what it says is that Liam should have understood the division by now, and the expectation is that the more time he has with players, the better we should be. In effect, it’s leveraging the international break pre Leicester as a “proof of concept” and saying - go on then, if you get time on the grass you say you’ll get results. You’ve got the six weeks now and we expect you to go up another level.

I expressed a view recently that the first 10-12 games are huge next year - and this says to me from a club perspective they are. A good start is expected, mainly because it plays to Liams stated strengths and is away from the excuse of “busy schedule”. If we start badly, then there isn’t an excuse on the table that seems to wash.

If you then balance that with Liams signals of needing “funding” then the picture of the hierarchy vs coaching team in no way seems as aligned as Jon indicated to the earlier published parts.

Interesting times.

• Like 18

8 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

"Internally, however, the pre-Easter wobble, particularly in the three straight defeats to QPR, Sheffield Wednesday and Cardiff City was largely expected"

How bizarre. 

Despite everyone at Failand "rubbing their hands together" at those fixtures?

I'm glad we're getting consistent messages from everyone who currently does a little bit of the CEO's job.

I think that expecting a wobble there is more realistic than the implied hubris of "rubbing hands together", but it's one or the other.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

"Internally, however, the pre-Easter wobble, particularly in the three straight defeats to QPR, Sheffield Wednesday and Cardiff City was largely expected"

How bizarre. 

Yeah that was an odd one. To be clear, you would always expect a wobble or a small poor run - even the sides at the top have them to relative degrees. The fact is though that the three defeats there were in a run (post Watford) of form which if extrapolated over the season would have seen us down based on the ppg return - it wasn’t a three game run, it was a three month run of dire form. And I can’t believe that anyone in the club expected that.

Like Piercy, but that’s pretty poor journalism and very revisionist. Three losses you’d get. (I think) less than 1ppg over three months? Different matter.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Despite everyone at Failand "rubbing their hands together" at those fixtures?

I'm glad we're getting consistent messages from everyone who currently does a little bit of the CEO's job.

Oh wow, well remembered. 

It’s almost like they’re making it up as they go along. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Oh wow, well remembered. 

It’s almost like they’re making it up as they go along. 

Or like they have 4 different people doing interviews, all of whom have their own slant on things.

Who'd have thought that would happen when they scrapped the single point of focus that a CEO brings?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Or like they have 4 different people doing interviews, all of whom have their own slant on things.

Who'd have thought that would happen when they scrapped the single point of focus that a CEO brings?

“It’s a collaborative approach in terms of that, you should be getting the same messages from different people, it’s not just going to be one person talking all the time”

Aged like milk.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

“It’s a collaborative approach in terms of that, you should be getting the same messages from different people, it’s not just going to be one person talking all the time”

Aged like milk.

The message is consistent. 

They all consistently tell us how incompetent and clueless they are. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

56 minutes ago, Harry said:

The part which annoyed me most is the bit where he says “well; we beat the top teams so we should be able to beat the bottom teams, right” (sic). 

The lack of nuance or understanding here is off the charts. 
There’s a reason our current squad are able to perform better against a top half team than a bottom end team. It’s been very well documented, detailed and analysed on here by us simple fans. 

It’s all about how different teams set up. Every game is a counter balance of what WE can do versus what THEY will do to counter us, and vice-versa. 

Seems Jon thinks it’s a simple case of “well, we can beat Southampton so surely we ought to be able to beat Millwall, right” 

And the way he ends every sentence with “right”, as if to attempt to reconfirm some sort of understanding and certainty about what he’s just said. Right. 

I was gonna stop there but another really annoying thing :

We need younger players because they can run more!! Ha ha. That’s a bit of an insult to Weimann as just one example of a 30+ who will run all bloody day for you. 
It also completely ignores the fact (and this is a FACT), that 5 of the top 10 ‘runners’ in the Premier league are over 29 years old. 
But only youngsters can run, apparently. Right. 

Clueless isn't he.   And its ok be (to some extent) as long as you're wise and humble enough to recognise it as a weakness and surround yourself with people who know what they're doing and know more about the industry than you do (to help you make the correct informed decisions).

Edited by Loco Rojo
  • Like 8

8 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Clueless isn't he.   And its ok be (to some extent) as long as you're wise and humble enough to recognise it as a weakness and surround yourself with people who know what they're doing and know more about the industry than you do.

The Lansdown’s are control freaks.   Humility and humbleness are not words in their vocabulary.   Could’ve been a vastly different story here if they were. 

• Like 15
  • Flames 2

3 minutes ago, lenred said:

The Lansdown’s are control freaks.   Humility and humbleness are not words in their vocabulary.   Could’ve been a vastly different story here if they were. 

I really hoped this wasn't the case (naivety on my part) as it's a horrible feeling when you lose confidence in leadership - especially in the club you love.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

How bizarre. 

Incredible statement to make.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

The part which annoyed me most is the bit where he says “well; we beat the top teams so we should be able to beat the bottom teams, right” (sic). 

The lack of nuance or understanding here is off the charts. 
There’s a reason our current squad are able to perform better against a top half team than a bottom end team. It’s been very well documented, detailed and analysed on here by us simple fans. 

It’s all about how different teams set up. Every game is a counter balance of what WE can do versus what THEY will do to counter us, and vice-versa. 

Seems Jon thinks it’s a simple case of “well, we can beat Southampton so surely we ought to be able to beat Millwall, right” 

And the way he ends every sentence with “right”, as if to attempt to reconfirm some sort of understanding and certainty about what he’s just said. Right. 

I was gonna stop there but another really annoying thing :

We need younger players because they can run more!! Ha ha. That’s a bit of an insult to Weimann as just one example of a 30+ who will run all bloody day for you. 
It also completely ignores the fact (and this is a FACT), that 5 of the top 10 ‘runners’ in the Premier league are over 29 years old. 
But only youngsters can run, apparently. Right. 

Me too.

I specifically called out after the Boro and Southampton wins that the games that followed would be more of an indicator than those two. So arrogant.

And clueless too.  But when you make comments like “deconditioned”, you not only show a lack of knowledge, but a complete lack of class.

At least with SL, I might not like some of the stuff he says, but I can at least say that maybe he’s earned that right off the back of being a billionaire.  Jon hasn’t.

• Like 2
  • Flames 5

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

How bizarre. 

That is incredibly damning. They really do seem to be making it up as they go along.

• Like 3

Only at Bristol City does the chairman do a full length 3 part interview and fans are left more confused about the state of the club than beforehand. 

Whole lot of waffle and contradicting statements to the GM and BT interviews. 

Edited by George Rs
  • Like 10
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Incredible statement to make.

Me too.

I specifically called out after the Boro and Southampton wins that the games that followed would be more of an indicator than those two. So arrogant.

And clueless too.  But when you make comments like “deconditioned”, you not only show a lack of knowledge, but a complete lack of class.

At least with SL, I might not like some of the stuff he says, but I can at least say that maybe he’s earned that right off the back of being a billionaire.  Jon hasn’t.

Last bit is so spot on.

SL made his fortune himself, this horseshit on here at times about him being Hargreaves’ dumb partner is so patronising, especially as Hargreaves is so far to the right politically there’s absolutely no way he tolerates a passenger for a business partner.

SL earned the money & the right to spend it, completely infuriating as it was at times.

His son? Nope.

Basically we’ve gone from Oliver Cromwell to Richard Cromwell, if you know your history..

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Last bit is so spot on.

SL made his fortune himself, this horseshit on here at times about him being Hargreaves’ dumb partner is so patronising, especially as Hargreaves is so far to the right politically there’s absolutely no way he tolerates a passenger for a business partner.

SL earned the money & the right to spend it, completely infuriating as it was at times.

His son? Nope.

Basically we’ve gone from Oliver Cromwell to Richard Cromwell, if you know your history..

I don’t but I expect he was a Dick. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Last bit is so spot on.

His son? Nope.

Perhaps in 500 years time, that analogy will read :

Its like going from Steve Lansdown to Jon Lansdown 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Elvis Costello ..."Steve's army is on its way......"

Edited by TDarwall

1 hour ago, Loco Rojo said:

Clueless isn't he.

He's a living embodiment of the Dunning-Kruger effect*.

*The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people with limited competence in a particular domain overestimate their abilities.

• Like 2

This is perfect to me and despite all the criticism, at least JL has set the marker. We’ve given Liam 6 months to adapt and learn the league, we now expect results.

As said above, the first 10 games will be huge next season, even more so now in my book.

If after 10 games we are in the playoff mix, job is being done. Next review would be Christmas time, are we still there. If we are not in play off contention at either of these two checkpoints, sorry Liam but your head is on the line.

• Like 1