IGNORED

Elijah Morrison

53 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

International recognition for young Elijah Morrison who has been picked for England U18.

Games will be against Northern Ireland & Morocco.

That's great news, he was one of the better performers against Brum on Saturday playing a wing back(ish) role, but I have seen him play centrally and look equally as effective.

It will be interesting to see where he settles down in that respect.

• Like 2

Might be a bit soon for him but I really hope the stand-outs in the younger groups get a chance to make a mark pre-season. Obviously the decision might then still be they're not ready and need a loan/time in the under-23s but I really hope we go into pre-season with an opportunity there for younger players to prove whether they're ready. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Might be a bit soon for him but I really hope the stand-outs in the younger groups get a chance to make a mark pre-season. Obviously the decision might then still be they're not ready and need a loan/time in the under-23s but I really hope we go into pre-season with an opportunity there for younger players to prove whether they're ready. 

#nestegg

19 minutes ago, Winterstoke toad said:

This is great news and promising for us in the future . Does anyone have any clips of him ? , I’m always working when the academy games are on so can’t watch .

He had a very good game here. His First goal at 2:26 is the pick here but 2nd goal also nice as well. He was full of running in this game and taking Burnley players on for fun.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

That's great news, he was one of the better performers against Brum on Saturday playing a wing back(ish) role, but I have seen him play centrally and look equally as effective.

It will be interesting to see where he settles down in that respect.

Let’s hope he kicks on , we have had a couple over the last 18 months who seem to show promise but haven’t kicked on OTC & Dylan Kadji spring to mind 

3 hours ago, Tony Tootle said:

He had a very good game here. His First goal at 2:26 is the pick here but 2nd goal also nice as well. He was full of running in this game and taking Burnley players on for fun.

Obviously highlights are just the best bits but he looks some player going by those goals .

22 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I was a bit gutted that a renewed deal wasn't mentioned in the list of 10; he's on a two-year first-pro deal that ends in 2025. I'd hedge that he's going to break into the first team this year, maybe, so tying him down to a further two years can hurt.

Could you maybe wish for us to sign Phil Foden tonight? 🤞

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

Good idea announcing it separately, I think it shows that we see him as a step ahead of the others by singling him out. 

Maybe also get him tied down before his head is turned by those U18 millionaires in the England set up. 😐

• Like 1

Announced at 5pm on the dot so a small chance more news to come into the night. I would have guessed Williams were it not for the emergence of the PNE link.

Regardless, great news re Elijah. Seems to be very very well thought of, looking forward to seeing how far he goes 🔴⚪

Just now, Port Said Red said:

I think it's common to be +1 on both sides, but I stand to be corrected.

I'm definitely not the most knowledgeable person so happy to be told otherwise, but realistically it seems if he develops elsewhere next season and breaks into the side the season after, we're then in a position where we either have to get him to renew or cash in as he'd be moving into the last year of his deal. We've seen the same happen with quite a few academy players and it seems short sighted to not tie him down for longer. I'm probably wrong though.

58 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I think it's common to be +1 on both sides, but I stand to be corrected.

We tend to announce option clauses.  And for someone like Morrison, he’s young enough for it to be largely irrelevant, because we’d get compo.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

Announced at 5pm on the dot so a small chance more news to come into the night. I would have guessed Williams were it not for the emergence of the PNE link.

Regardless, great news re Elijah. Seems to be very very well thought of, looking forward to seeing how far he goes 🔴⚪

Serious talent and head and shoulders above others in his age group. Hopefully he continues to improve and gets opportunities in pre season and shows he can step up to first team level 

2 hours ago, nickolas said:

Decent. Probably spend a whole season with splinters in his arse with our non-academy playing head coach! 😂

You do know Manning has played Morrison in the first team right?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

We tend to announce option clauses.  And for someone like Morrison, he’s young enough for it to be largely irrelevant, because we’d get compo.

How are we feeling about a 3 year deal? Takes him to age 21 rather than 22. Given what we've seen with recent and current youngsters would you think 4 years would have been preferable?

I think it would.

Doesn't mean we didn't offer it of course but...I don't know...very hard to really predict I guess.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

How are we feeling about a 3 year deal? Takes him to age 21 rather than 22. Given what we've seen with recent and current youngsters would you think 4 years would have been preferable?

I think it would.

Doesn't mean we didn't offer it of course but...I don't know...very hard to really predict I guess.

The main thing for me is we don’t get complacent in terms of renewing / extending it!  If he gets games, then extend it.  Quickly.

I might be a little less bullish about him than most…until I’ve seen a bit more of him.  I don’t think the FAYC overall showed up our technical players in the greatest light.  We were quite direct v Swindon, played on the break v Man City, and I only saw highlights of Burnley where he scored twice.  Against Brum on Saturday he was quietly effective.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying he is rubbish, far from it, he’s an exciting talent…but I got a very different vibe from Scott (when some were still talking about Kadji) and Conway in terms of expectation to hit the first team running.  If that makes sense?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When he’s on it he’s very good. But definitely blows hot and cold atm. He’s a flair player and is very young and as with a lot young players consistency is the challenge. That will come as he develops you would hope. If it does, he’s got a lot of potential… he has most clubs in the bag to be a handful anywhere down the left hand side.

This has been a late decision and undoubtedly triggered by his England U18 call up which gives him high profile and allows the club to tie him down before other clubs start to show interest… which this call up would generate regardless of whether other clubs have seen him before or not. 

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The main thing for me is we don’t get complacent in terms of renewing / extending it!  If he gets games, then extend it.  Quickly.

I might be a little less bullish about him than most…until I’ve seen a bit more of him.  I don’t think the FAYC overall showed up our technical players in the greatest light.  We were quite direct v Swindon, played on the break v Man City, and I only saw highlights of Burnley where he scored twice.  Against Brum on Saturday he was quietly effective.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying he is rubbish, far from it, he’s an exciting talent…but I got a very different vibe from Scott (when some were still talking about Kadji) and Conway in terms of expectation to hit the first team running.  If that makes sense?

I agree he did "ok" against Brum, but from what I saw of them they looked an exceptional young group, I think the Bellingham effect is being felt at Birmingham. We (quite rightly) made a fuss about giving 8 of our youngsters pro deals, Birmingham have done so for the whole squad. In short only losing on penalties was something of an achievement for our group, so it's not surprising he didn't stand out as in previous games I have seen even though those were U21 games.

Edited by Port Said Red

28 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I agree he did "ok" against Brum, but from what I saw of them they looked an exceptional young group, I think the Bellingham effect is being felt at Birmingham. We (quite rightly) made a fuss about giving 8 of our youngsters pro deals, Birmingham have done so for the whole squad. In short only losing on penalties was something of an achievement for our group, so it's not surprising he didn't stand out as in previous games I have seen even though those were U21 games.

But I thought other City players did…Meerholz and Hewlett for example, and Skinner to an extent (first time I’ve seen him).

• Like 2