IGNORED

SOTC

Tomo

11 minutes ago, Harry said:

I wouldn’t leave Ipswich to go to Brighton. 
Historically Ipswich are the bigger club. Both get 30k gates. Brighton, no matter how hard they try, will not finish higher than 8th. Better of staying at Ipswich in my opinion, whom you can easily get to the same level as a Brighton in 2-3 years. 
If McKenna leaves Ipswich I can’t see it being for Brighton. 
Chelsea or Man U - absolutely. 
Although didn’t the Man U players ridicule him when he was number 2? 
Poch may be looking for a way out of Chelsea as he wants more transfer control. 
I see McKenna staying at Ipswich. It’s easy to forget that they are actually a fairly big club with European history. They’re bigger than Brighton 

The Ipswich squad is far from Premier League standard though whereas Brighton are well established.

It matters not what Ipswich's history or potential is if they don't have the players. It will be interesting to see how much recruitment they do in the summer but if they are relegated McKenna may have missed his big chance. Tough decision for him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Many thanks @Harry, I was guessing that it was PA, that JL was referring to in his "Ego" comments.

Ultimately i can't understand the concept of the "committee", that the club seems to have now settled on. Surely as an organisation if it wants to do things better, then it needs more experienced employees who not only have the right contacts in the game, but also have the right mentality (read Ego). Whereas a committed group, who are all focused on the same goal is commendable, you do need people who challenge and have their own views, or the group can just fall into Confirmation bias around every decision.

At the moment, the club looks like a bunch of people who "think" they know what they're doing. That may well be the case in terms of the stadium/City finance, but does Gavin Marshall know anything about being the Chief Executive of a Football club (i think not). Hence why Lisa Knights insisted on being present during the FBC podcast interview with him, in case he said anything that he shouldn't (I can't imagine PA would have needed such a babysitter).

When asked in the Podcast, what the club were going to do differently next season and in the next few years to get into the playoffs at least (given that we hadn't done in in the previous 9 seasons), GM was completely flummoxed and starting using ideas like "hope" and "fingers crossed". In essence the SLT at the club don't really have a plan as to how we are going to do things better or more effectively. You can't help feeling PA was telling them things that they didn't want to hear and thus had to go (not unlike the breakdown in relationship with NP).

Interesting summer ahead. I think I'll just follow Ian Gay on twitter (@bristolboy) as he seems sure in his own mind exactly what's going on at the club, even if the Chairman, Board, Tinnion don't. 😁

If we’re going down the ego route isn’t it worth asking who employed these “ego’s” in the first place? If you weren’t sure at interview a few phone calls in the very insular football world would find that out soon enough. The truth is probably nearer the fact that the real ego’s in the football club just don’t like being told by those that know.

To those who think the hierarchy do no wrong, if your house or life was on the line based on the combined football knowledge of Pearson and Alexander or the combined football knowledge of the Crayon Kid, the Silent Assassin and some finance guy who wears a nice suit who would you choose?

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Many thanks @Harry, I was guessing that it was PA, that JL was referring to in his "Ego" comments.

Ultimately i can't understand the concept of the "committee", that the club seems to have now settled on. Surely as an organisation if it wants to do things better, then it needs more experienced employees who not only have the right contacts in the game, but also have the right mentality (read Ego). Whereas a committed group, who are all focused on the same goal is commendable, you do need people who challenge and have their own views, or the group can just fall into Confirmation bias around every decision.

At the moment, the club looks like a bunch of people who "think" they know what they're doing. That may well be the case in terms of the stadium/City finance, but does Gavin Marshall know anything about being the Chief Executive of a Football club (i think not). Hence why Lisa Knights insisted on being present during the FBC podcast interview with him, in case he said anything that he shouldn't (I can't imagine PA would have needed such a babysitter).

When asked in the Podcast, what the club were going to do differently next season and in the next few years to get into the playoffs at least (given that we hadn't done in in the previous 9 seasons), GM was completely flummoxed and starting using ideas like "hope" and "fingers crossed". In essence the SLT at the club don't really have a plan as to how we are going to do things better or more effectively. You can't help feeling PA was telling them things that they didn't want to hear and thus had to go (not unlike the breakdown in relationship with NP).

Interesting summer ahead. I think I'll just follow Ian Gay on twitter (@bristolboy) as he seems sure in his own mind exactly what's going on at the club, even if the Chairman, Board, Tinnion don't. 😁

It made me think of this… it came up on my thread this morning…

3 hours ago, Harry said:

I wouldn’t leave Ipswich to go to Brighton. 
Historically Ipswich are the bigger club. Both get 30k gates. Brighton, no matter how hard they try, will not finish higher than 8th. Better of staying at Ipswich in my opinion, whom you can easily get to the same level as a Brighton in 2-3 years. 
If McKenna leaves Ipswich I can’t see it being for Brighton. 
Chelsea or Man U - absolutely. 
Although didn’t the Man U players ridicule him when he was number 2? 
Poch may be looking for a way out of Chelsea as he wants more transfer control. 
I see McKenna staying at Ipswich. It’s easy to forget that they are actually a fairly big club with European history. They’re bigger than Brighton 

My mate who’s an Ipswich fan says the word down there is that the Brighton deal is highly likely.

The basics are that McKenna has taken a league one team straight through this division. He’s a great coach, no doubt, but it would be highly unlikely that they do anything other than go down without significant investment. I love their approach of always “going for it” but it’s likely to be punished at the prem level - there is no way a midfield of Morsy and Luongo is competing for example.

The contrast between Brighton and Ipswich is interesting, I’d agree Ipswich are bigger historically but the current choice is between a stable premier league club against one who are likely to be right up against it. The 2-3 years piece I would concur with and there is an argument that Ipswich went up too early - had McKenna done well this year then enhanced the side before going up 24/25 then they’d be a far better bet to stay there. Against that, I think if Brighton get the next appointment wrong there is a bit of a risk of a downturn there.

So I do think there is 2-3 years potentially between their respective positions - but it’s only potentially.

Ultimately if he doesn’t go there and they go down, his stock doesn’t get any greater than Brighton still, so his gamble is that they stay up. Even then, there is still that doubt as to whether the stock increases (see Steve Cooper).

The sensible move, and the one my mate and a few people ITK down there think will happen, is the Brighton switch.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Davefevs said:

There will be a whole host of potential candidates in other leagues, @GrahamC has been searching them all out!

Interesting to hear James say that Miovski was a target but ruled out on price.  Decent as he is, I’m happy that we don’t chase players like this if clubs are gonna overprice them (which is of course their prerogative).  He’s 3x more than I’d want to pay (and it ain’t my money)!

Miovski? Isn't that what Russians tell their Mums after fleeing Putin's conscription?

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Haha 1