IGNORED

Windows 11

Markman

Blimey - here we go - I am getting messages saying Windows 11 is coming and my PC cannot be upgraded (even though it is only a couple of years old) is this another way of making money - is it safe to keep Windows 10 or is a new PC Needed?

And (I do appreciate the IT knowledge on here) I have Outlook and everyday get asked to upgrade to the new outlook - is that a must do - do all my current folders and things migrate across if I do?

Thanks to anyone who knows and can answer

Definitely no need to upgrade. I've no idea what the differing features are, but Windows 10 is still supported (i.e. they are still releasing updates and security releases) until the end of next year. If what you've currently got works for you then you're probably fine.

• Like 1

@Markman

Windows 10 goes out of support in Oct 2025.

There is no urgent need to upgrade even beyond that date, your PC will still run but won't get any more updates.

It's likely your current PC is falling the update compatibility on part of the installed hardware, e.g you might not have enough RAM.

If you can make a note on what it's failing the upgrade on I can offer some more advice.

With regards to Outlook, to the average user, the 'new' Outlook is mainly cosmetic. Everything you have would migrate over. It typically offers you an option to switch but also to switch back once installed if you don't like it. No need to upgrade that if you prefer not to.

• Like 1

See here for some details/questions at the bottom and a Compatibility Check at the top

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/get-windows-11

See here for spec requirements

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-11-specifications

If it's not compatible for an OS upgrade to Windows 11 then you can wait until it's out of support as others have said or take the hit :( on a new laptop.