IGNORED

England Squad

Super

1 minute ago, Harry said:

That’s what I’d do. 

Palmer has operated more on the right or centrally for Chelsea this season though so don't think playing him out of position for England benefits him. I also don't think you can play all of Bellingham, Foden or Palmer simply because they all like dropping into that number 10 position and we need people running in behind Kane.

I'd be really tempted with Gordon on the left, seriously impressed me this year everytime I've seen him and think his pace with Saka on the other side and Kane to pick them out could be frightening!

Pickford

Walker         Stones      Maguire       Trent (Unsure on Maguire and Trent but struggling to make a case for others)

Rice           Bellingham

Saka             Foden               Gordon

Kane

Lot of good players not picked for that team with the second CB being my concern

1 minute ago, hinsleburg said:

Palmer has operated more on the right or centrally for Chelsea this season though so don't think playing him out of position for England benefits him. I also don't think you can play all of Bellingham, Foden or Palmer simply because they all like dropping into that number 10 position and we need people running in behind Kane.

I'd be really tempted with Gordon on the left, seriously impressed me this year everytime I've seen him and think his pace with Saka on the other side and Kane to pick them out could be frightening!

Pickford

Walker         Stones      Maguire       Trent (Unsure on Maguire and Trent but struggling to make a case for others)

Kane

Lot of good players not picked for that team with the second CB being my concern

Trent isn't the best defensively, playing him outside of position looks a big risk to me.

For me Colwill is one of the most surprising omissions considering how weak we are at left back...

Fair play to Gareth, some ballsy decisions which have been lacking lately from him imo.

Glad he dropped Rashford, Chilwell and Henderson. 

Still feel he overlooks Tomori too much, I feel he's better than Dunk. Dier maybe a little unlucky too, been generally ok for Bayern Munich.

No complaints really.

Love the way everyone starts picking their starting line-ups and stating "player x MUST play here" etc.

They've probably already got 3 or 4 potential line-ups in mind to use across the tournament, depending on opposition, resting players etc.

Tournaments are won by squads, not 11 players.

The team that starts against Serbia won't be the one that finishes it (hopefully in Berlin on 14th July).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Malago said:

Foden is wasted on the left.  Play him as the 10, play Bellingham alongside Rice and Palmer on the left of the front 3

49 minutes ago, Harry said:

That’s what I’d do. 

And Bellingham will be wasted in a more defensive position,  so I don't think there is an ideal answer 

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Love the way everyone starts picking their starting line-ups and stating "player x MUST play here" etc.

They've probably already got 3 or 4 potential line-ups in mind to use across the tournament, depending on opposition, resting players etc.

Tournaments are won by squads, not 11 players.

The team that starts against Serbia won't be the one that finishes it (hopefully in Berlin on 14th July).

Ok. Let’s close the thread 

🤣🤣

Only kidding. Of course the same 11 won’t play every game, I think people always do like to play the ‘what’s the optimum 11’. Just a bit of fun. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

And Bellingham will be wasted in a more defensive position,  so I don't think there is an ideal answer 

Bellingham wouldn’t be in defensive position. He’d be the ‘8’ with Rice as ‘6’ and Foden as ‘10’. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Bellingham wouldn’t be in defensive position. He’d be the ‘8’ with Rice as ‘6’ and Foden as ‘10’. 

Bellingham plays as a 10 for Real and 8 is more defensive.

I personally think there is no chance Southgate plays Rice, Bellingham and Foden in the centre, he has always played a double pivot in CM

54 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

Pickford

Kane

A few of them do like the ‘10’ position but they are all clever enough players to make space and combine with each other. I think Gordon does have a chance to be fair. From the left. But if Jude is the ‘8’ with Foden as ‘10’ they’ll both get in the box and behind Kane at times too. 
Anyway, you say Palmer hasn’t played on the left and then go and select Trent on the left too, where he’s never played! 🙃

Only kidding. That left back spot is a hard one without any decent option beyond Shaw (who won’t be going let’s be honest). 

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

Bellingham plays as a 10 for Real and 8 is more defensive.

I personally think there is no chance Southgate plays Rice, Bellingham and Foden in the centre, he has always played a double pivot in CM

But Real is a whole different outfit. Jude has mostly played as the ‘8’ for England. It’s the traditional box to box role. He’s fully capable of doing it and still getting the best out of him. 
I just think that with the wealth of talent in attacking areas we have to get 5 of them out there plus Rice. I don’t want to see the ‘double pivot’. I want to see us utilise our most gifted individuals and not have to shoehorn in a 2nd holding midfielder who isn’t anywhere near the level required. 
He has to find a way of getting his 5 best attacking players on the pitch and to me that means Rice as a holder and then 4 proper defenders, with no need to full backs to bomb on 

• Like 1

Pleasantly surprised by the squad - was certain Rashford and Henderson would get in. Really pleased neither did.

Not sure about a few inclusions (Jones, Gallagher) but I can understand the logic. Harvey Elliot is a bit unlucky to miss out.

Exciting squad anyway, happy with that overall.

1 hour ago, hinsleburg said:

Pickford

Kane

What ever formation you play

Play the best players in the correct position

DONT put square pegs in round holes

Why would you play Trent at left back!!! Play a left back

2 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

What ever formation you play

Play the best players in the correct position

DONT put square pegs in round holes

Why would you play Trent at left back!!! Play a left back

I have Lee Johnson’s phone number if you would like it?

2 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Harvey Elliott is an interesting one. I’ve wondered over the last year or so whether his non-selection for the senior team is in any way connected to the offensive video of Elliott impersonating Harry Kane. 

Didn’t know about this and was wondering about Elliot’s lack of involvement. On one hand, Harry has always seemed the most inoffensive, solid guy so mocking him like that was pretty crap form. Other hand, Harvey would have been about 17. Who didn’t screw up at 17. Sad to see Elliot miss out, but if it is about squad harmony I get it.

Seven to be cut then. I’d go Dean Henderson, Quansah, Guehi, Wharton, Bowen, Maddison, Eze.

That was actually a lot harder than I expected, but I think I could just about justify any of those shouts 🤣

I’d also have taken Dier and Rashford, and left Dunk and Grealish. Definitely a minority view but Dier is playing brilliantly in Germany and Rashford is very consistent for England. 

• Hmmm 1

5 hours ago, JBFC II said:

A bit confused as to what James Trafford has done to deserve a call up?

Johnstone injured, probably would have then been the 4th anyway over Henderson as then Henderson wouldn't have played. Trafford is likely number 1 or 2 in 2/3 years time depending on if Ramsdale gets back to playing and improves again. So every chance Trafford gets taken as third choice for him to experience a senior competition before he's expected to play in one, similar to when Walcott was taken as a 17 year old.

54 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Johnstone injured, probably would have then been the 4th anyway over Henderson as then Henderson wouldn't have played. Trafford is likely number 1 or 2 in 2/3 years time depending on if Ramsdale gets back to playing and improves again. So every chance Trafford gets taken as third choice for him to experience a senior competition before he's expected to play in one, similar to when Walcott was taken as a 17 year old.

I get that, however I feel like he needs to prove himself as being good enough for the Premier league first before getting England caps

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

Seven to be cut then. I’d go Dean Henderson, Quansah, Guehi, Wharton, Bowen, Maddison, Eze.

That was actually a lot harder than I expected, but I think I could just about justify any of those shouts 🤣

I’d also have taken Dier and Rashford, and left Dunk and Grealish. Definitely a minority view but Dier is playing brilliantly in Germany and Rashford is very consistent for England. 

Lost all credibility when you said you'd take rashford!

4 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Lost all credibility when you said you'd take rashford!

🤣 is a hot take at the mo. But 12 months ago he was in a lot of peoples first 11! I’d be starting Foden from the left (with lots of encouragement to drift centrally/switch with Bellingham) but I think Rashford is a better back up option than your Bowen’s or Eze’s.

• Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 1

if you go 4-2-3-1... with Kane obviously up front...

you can either drop Bellingham into the midfield 2 alongside Rice, allowing you to play Foden behind Kane, Saka right and Palmer or Gordon on the left,,, 

or you add Mainoo / Gallagher next to Rice and play Bellingham behind Kane, Saka right and Foden left...

fairly equal gains and losses with both options.... I just hope Gareth tries all combinations in the 2 warm up games...

I'd love to see a 4-1-4-1 as per Man City, with Rice holding, and Saka, Bellingham, Foden and Palmer behind Kane.

Edited by DolmanGaz

10 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

🤣 is a hot take at the mo. But 12 months ago he was in a lot of peoples first 11! I’d be starting Foden from the left (with lots of encouragement to drift centrally/switch with Bellingham) but I think Rashford is a better back up option than your Bowen’s or Eze’s.

I agree with you. 

He's definitely a better player than both of those. 

He's had a poor season by his standards, but Man United seems a toxic place to be & almost everyone seems to have struggled there this season. 

We're going into a tournament with Maguire as the 3rd top scorer through the squad which is interesting. 

I won't complain too much though, I think Southgate tends to get most things right. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Defensively we look so short. The likes of Dunk shouldn’t be anywhere near an England team.

But that’s where we are.

I'd have Tomori ahead of Dunk, and on recent form maybe Dier too.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I agree with you. 

He's definitely a better player than both of those. 

He's had a poor season by his standards, but Man United seems a toxic place to be & almost everyone seems to have struggled there this season. 

We're going into a tournament with Maguire as the 3rd top scorer through the squad which is interesting. 

I won't complain too much though, I think Southgate tends to get most things right. 

3rd top scorer for England, I assume?

Hardly a concern when you look at the number of goals the likes of Kane, Bellingham, Foden, Palmer, Saka, Watkins, Solanke and Bowen have scored this season. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

3rd top scorer for England, I assume?

Hardly a concern when you look at the number of goals the likes of Kane, Bellingham, Foden, Palmer, Saka, Watkins, Solanke and Bowen have scored this season. 

Yeah, for England.

Found it interesting that he was third, only Saka & Kane ahead.