IGNORED

Manning to Ipswich (not a rumour just my complete speculation )

I know it seems unlikely based on results but I wonder if anyone else thinks if McKenna departs to Brighton whether ipswich might come in for Manning. 

I know it appears very unlikely based on form and reputation but it would be a very similar appointment in terms of profile and way of working. 

A good left field bet ? Or is my post season imagination running away with me !

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

If they hadn’t gone up, yes, he would have undoubtedly have been on the list. He started his coaching career there, his Dons side played very well against them and he has probably more links to Ipswich than Norwich who have been linked. Hes one of McKennas mates and even if he isn’t a similar coach, prima facie he fits what they want.

They’ve likely outgrown him currently but he would have been on their list 3-6 months ago without a shadow of a doubt.

• Like 3

Manning was with us for a time before he entered proper management, featured in the youth team set-up many years ago and later did some coaching with our kids but that seems as far as this idea could run.     If or when McKenna leaves (and there seems increasing rumour and speculation he will indeed), I don't know quite where it will be but Brighton appears to be one of the forerunners right now, Manning just doesn't seem to fit the profile of someone we will or could replace McKenna with.

Yes there's links back to us as mentioned and some would argue it's a feasible candidate on that strength alone but in so many words it's an idea or objective that doesn't really fit in or seem to work.      What with Ashton and the link between club names, we've done business before, but this occasion, I just don't think it's an area we need to explore or someone or something that could feasibly be done. 

Was going to suggest he doesn't possess enough proper managerial experience or really had the chance or time to prove himself, and we'd be taking a big gamble or risk by bringing him in, until of course that's how it was with McKenna and look how that turned out to be.      Manning could never replicate that success or come near it if we brought him back over.     All said it's an interesting idea and something that carries a certain amount of logic if only for the reasons already stated but it's just not going to work for him or us if ever he were to replace McKenna.

Best guess he stays in place over there in Bristol and gives it another go in the championship next season.    We'll look for someone else, if the need arises.   (There's every chance our manager may indeed choose to stay on)  

• Like 4

Ipswich are now in the Premier league. Manning is still learning the ropes in the Championship I wont say he's out of his depth as we have played some good football at times,  however he has no plan B his tactics and substitutions are questionable sometimes so there is no way he is Premiership ready.

Every talks about the end of season unbeaten run (before the deckchairs came out at Stoke) but we couldnt score in open play against this seasons whipping boys Rotherham only a dive in the box from Tommy and a great free kick from Twine settled it. Hudderfield should have had all 3 points bar a late late penalty to send us home with a lucky point We were poor against Sunderland (should have lost) and Plymouth we were bang average. The only convincing win was against Blackburn and a very good point at Norwich.

So if Ipswich want to take a gamble they are welcome to him but clearly not ready thats just my opinion

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, westonred said:

Ipswich are now in the Premier league. Manning is still learning the ropes in the Championship I wont say he's out of his depth as we have played some good football at times,  however he has no plan B his tactics and substitutions are questionable sometimes so there is no way he is Premiership ready.

Every talks about the end of season unbeaten run (before the deckchairs came out at Stoke) but we couldnt score in open play against this seasons whipping boys Rotherham only a dive in the box from Tommy and a great free kick from Twine settled it. Hudderfield should have had all 3 points bar a late late penalty to send us home with a lucky point We were poor against Sunderland (should have lost) and Plymouth we were bang average. The only convincing win was against Blackburn and a very good point at Norwich.

So if Ipswich want to take a gamble they are welcome to him but clearly not ready thats just my opinion

Look carefully-that's not how I see it. We don't want to lose him so I understand your post but let's face reality here. Manning has created a free flowing, possession based team that has finished the season in fine style. His experience with the City group means that his near success in the Championship will definitely translate into a top ten finish in the PL. He is ready...in fact, he was born ready. Ipswich for a couple of seasons and then he'll be ready to replace Pep.

• Like 1
  • Haha 16
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, The Humble Realist said:

I know it seems unlikely based on results but I wonder if anyone else thinks if McKenna departs to Brighton whether ipswich might come in for Manning. 

I know it appears very unlikely based on form and reputation but it would be a very similar appointment in terms of profile and way of working. 

Another way of looking at it is that if you were an Ipswich fan and Manning was announced what would your reaction be? That is your question answered.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, stortfordred said:

Look carefully-that's not how I see it. We don't want to lose him so I understand your post but let's face reality here. Manning has created a free flowing, possession based team that has finished the season in fine style. His experience with the City group means that his near success in the Championship will definitely translate into a top ten finish in the PL. He is ready...in fact, he was born ready. Ipswich for a couple of seasons and then he'll be ready to replace Pep.

The only rabble that would be fooled by that are currently trying to install a big screen tv on the top of their stand.

14 hours ago, The Humble Realist said:

Return for Alf Ramsey is more likely.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, stortfordred said:

Manning has created a free flowing, possession based team that has finished the season in fine style. 

Free flowing ?

If what we’ve had is “free flowing”, l must have a different understanding of that compared to you.

But you’re entitled to your opinion.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, stortfordred said:

Finished the season in fine style my ar*e. We played 2 relegated teams and one fighting relegation and failed to score a single goal from open play in 270 minutes.

I failed to see anything free flowing at home to Huddersfield. It was another drab boring 99 minutes.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Finished the season in fine style my ar*e. We played 2 relegated teams and one fighting relegation and failed to score a single goal from open play in 270 minutes.

I failed to see anything free flowing at home to Huddersfield. It was another drab boring 99 minutes.

I assumed the post had some tongue in cheek?

• Like 4

15 hours ago, The Humble Realist said:

Next England manager odds ? ..... 

Not sure if this is already old news, but BBC Sport now running a story to the effect that McKenna has as good as said he's out of there. Chelsea, Brighton and - inevitably - Man U are apparently among the likely/possible destinations, though the latter seems to be speculative, whereas the former two are believed to be showing genuine interest.

Not that this makes any great difference to the tone of the debate here. Manning to Ipswich still about as probable as me making the England squad, but it does seem increasingly likely there will be a managerial vacancy in Suffolk...

5 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Another way of looking at it is that if you were an Ipswich fan and Manning was announced what would your reaction be? That is your question answered.

Why the facepalm @Rocking Red Cyril? Take off your BCFC blinkers for a second and explain why Ipswich fans would be happy if Liam Manning replaced McKenna.

What is so wrong in thinking a manager who has only managed in the Championship for 6 months and has a middling record (that’s fact) would not be a popular choice at a newly promoted Premier League club?

Its not a criticism of Liam, just an obvious observation. What has he done to date to earn an EPL gig? If he turns us into a top 6 outfit playing good football he will attract plenty of attention, until then………..

Think it would be a great shame and tarnish Mckennas legacy a tad to leave Ipswich right now, much greater challenge to try to keep them up.

As for LM that would be a ridiculous choice for both Ipswich and him at this stage.

I expect someone like Rob Edwards would be on their more logical short list if necessary.

5 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Shhh. Don’t tell Ipswich or Norwich. Your secret is safe with me. 

(I was looking for a whoosh but didn’t expect so many.)

• Thanks 1

We’re more likely to lose manning to the team Ipswich decide to take their manager from 😂 I’d imagine West Brom’s manager will be high on their list. If so they won’t want manning, not sure who would tbh. Maybe Oxford when they are bottom of the league in the new year after we’ve sacked LM in November.

12 hours ago, stortfordred said:

Please check you have the correct medication :whistle2:

Lots of interesting takes on this, and as per usual when it’s our player or manager we have too much bias to be objective.

Ive no idea whether he’ll go or not.

But someone yesterday was saying to chill out becayse he’ll sign the big contract, with a massive release clause and then he’ll stay.  But of course he’s gotta sign the contract first.  Why would he do that if that stopped him taking a potential dream job.

• Like 1