IGNORED

England Euro 2024 Travel Thread

MarcusX

I thought I'd create a separate thread from the squad talk and general match threads to discuss travelling to Germany this summer

It's only my second time at a tournament abroad, first time actually staying as long as possible and first time visiting Germany.

I'm driving as I've always fancied the road trip and there's a few things I want to do on the "days off" from the football

What's everyones plans?

I didn't pick up a ticket for the first game so my rough plan is drive down Tuesday night and cross the channel, stay over and finish the drive Wednesday.

Staying at a friends so we're going to go to the fan park in Frankfurt for the Germany and Scotland games - then off to the game on Thursday (thinking I may be able to do fan park for the Solevnia v Serbia game, then back for SPain v Italy - or I may just get to the ground early for the atmosphere)

Saturday I'm driving to Berlin for the weekend, heading back to Cologne Monday for the final group game and then take it from there.

I've got plans at home on QF weekend so if we get that far it may have to be come home and then head back, I've seen there's some coach travel being organised on a FB group for day trips to the KO games so may do that!

Anyone else going out there? Any specific tips or things to be aware of? Any must-see things to do in Frankfurt / Cologne / Berlin or that area?

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

I have been to Berlin many times and bars are a bit limited in central areas.

If you want an area where there are plenty of bars and restaurants look up the area around 'Simon-Dach-Straße'.

It is just off 'Frankfurter Allee' the unground station is 'Frankfurter Tor'.

• Thanks 1

I’m flying to Frankfurt on the day the tournament starts, hopefully landing just in time to catch Germany v Scotland on TV. Train up to Düsseldorf on the Saturday afternoon, then 2 nights there, and a trip across to Gelsenkirchen on the Sunday evening for England v Serbia. 

Then flying back to London on the Monday to work for a couple of days, before heading back out to Frankfurt on the Wednesday evening. England v Denmark in Frankfurt on the Thursday. Train to Hamburg on the Friday, and going to Georgia v Czech Republic in Hamburg on the Saturday (I’ve done 7 of the 10 host stadiums on previous England trips; Hamburg is one of the ones I haven’t been to yet). 

Sunday: train down to Duisburg where I’ll stay for 3 nights. From Duisburg I’ll go to Albania v Spain in Düsseldorf on the Monday and then England v Slovenia in Cologne on the Tuesday. 

Wednesday: flying back to London and then working for a couple of days. 

To cover the possibility of England finishing first or second in the group, for the last 16 I’ve booked a one-way fully cancellable flight to Amsterdam on points on the Saturday morning. It gives enough time to get across to Dortmund on the Saturday evening (if England have finished second) or to Gelsenkirchen on the Sunday (if England have finished first). If England finish third and qualify, it’s back to the drawing board; if England go out at the group stage I’ll cancel the flight at no loss. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

Heading out for the Denmark game via Dublin home via Amsterdam then see what happens 

last euros I missed was in Germany 88 so hopefully go all the way and win it this time 

I’m sure there will be plenty of city out there 

9 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

Heading out for the Denmark game via Dublin home via Amsterdam then see what happens 

last euros I missed was in Germany 88 so hopefully go all the way and win it this time 

I’m sure there will be plenty of city out there 

No scooter or beanie much missed by many on the England scene 

• Like 7

Got a ticket for the 2nd round England game in Gelsenkirchen IF they win the group. Otherwise its Serbia v Hungary or something. Long weekend around that match staying in Essen, will visit Dortmund for the Saturday  match as Germany will be playing there no doubt. 

Didn't really fancy the group stages, loads of mismatches and zero jeopardy with four third places going through 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

Got a ticket for the 2nd round England game in Gelsenkirchen IF they win the group. Otherwise its Serbia v Hungary or something. Long weekend around that match staying in Essen, will visit Dortmund for the Saturday  match as Germany will be playing there no doubt. 

Didn't really fancy the group stages, loads of mismatches and zero jeopardy with four third places going through 

Yep me too.  And the QF if they make it in either Stuttgart or Düsseldorf - got tickets for both. Got 5 games in total with hopefully two of them being England. Seeing matches in Frankfurt and Leipzig as well.  Can’t bloody wait! 

• Like 1

I wouldn't have minded taking in a couple of non-england games, but I didn't apply via the UEFA ticket system. Might see if anything goes on sale while I'm there but not overly fussed.

Looking forward to the friendly at St James Park before the tournament too as I've never been for a game, so another UK stadium ticked off

20 years since my first tournament in Portugal 2004. 

Doing Eng v Denmark in Frankfurt. Flying to Paris then a lovely train journey through the Alsace to Frankfurt Hbf arriving late afternoon on the Wednesday. 

The good news for City fans is that Frankfurt is Germanys cider city, so lots of cider taverns south of the river, which is where I'll be heading!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, MarcusX said:

I thought I'd create a separate thread from the squad talk and general match threads to discuss travelling to Germany this summer

It's only my second time at a tournament abroad, first time actually staying as long as possible and first time visiting Germany.

I'm driving as I've always fancied the road trip and there's a few things I want to do on the "days off" from the football

What's everyones plans?

I didn't pick up a ticket for the first game so my rough plan is drive down Tuesday night and cross the channel, stay over and finish the drive Wednesday.

Staying at a friends so we're going to go to the fan park in Frankfurt for the Germany and Scotland games - then off to the game on Thursday (thinking I may be able to do fan park for the Solevnia v Serbia game, then back for SPain v Italy - or I may just get to the ground early for the atmosphere)

Saturday I'm driving to Berlin for the weekend, heading back to Cologne Monday for the final group game and then take it from there.

I've got plans at home on QF weekend so if we get that far it may have to be come home and then head back, I've seen there's some coach travel being organised on a FB group for day trips to the KO games so may do that!

Anyone else going out there? Any specific tips or things to be aware of? Any must-see things to do in Frankfurt / Cologne / Berlin or that area?

Flying to Amsterdam for a night then train to Essen for the first game. I'm then spending a few days going down the Rhine between the first 2 games (Koblenz, Bacharach etc), then train down to Frankfurt for the 2nd game. Then train out to Berlin for a couple of days before flying back to Bristol. Will go back out for the final if we get there.

13 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Same here.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MarcusX said:

What's everyones plans?

That’s a hell of a lot of driving for a couple of days!  

We’re staying in Frankfurt but I’ve only ever spent a few hours so can’t really help there nor Cologne.   I’ve spent a lot of time in Berlin though.   What kind of things are you looking to do? Happy to recommend things based upon what you’re looking for. 

Should be brilliant - really looking forward to it.

Got tickets for all England games right up to Final should they get there, through ESTC.
Well worth joining ESTC and building your caps up - especially with the next Euros in this country.

Flying to Dusseldorf for first group game then back home again.
Flying to Frankfurt for second group game, but also doing:
Berlin: Austria v Poland
Hamburg: Czech v Georgia
Leipzig: Croatia v Italy
Then to Cologne for last group game and fly home.

Cancellable flights and hotels sorted for all KO games, also if we come 2nd in group (heaven forbid!).

Tips:
- Join ESTC and get caps for future tournaments.
- If travelling on train out of the local areas, buy one of the €29.50 Euro 2024 train tickets. We've saved loads doing that.
https://int.bahn.de/en/offers/special-offers/fan-ticket-football
- Jon Darch (City fan) does an excellent website on the Euros, also worth a follow on twitter for good travel tips:

https://www.euro2024ingermany.com/
https://x.com/SafeStandingRS

EnglandFlag.JPG

Edited by 8 men had a dream
added more tips
  • Like 1

Also Into Amsterdam before England's opener and train down to Düsseldorf for a night out pre Serbia game. .  
probs do fan park for a few pre match beers on the Sunday for ease of getting from station and then to the ground unless there’s a better suggestion? 
Back home for a few games and plan to be back for the Semi. What could possibly go wrong?! 

3 hours ago, 8 men had a dream said:

Should be brilliant - really looking forward to it.

Got tickets for all England games right up to Final should they get there, through ESTC.
Well worth joining ESTC and building your caps up - especially with the next Euros in this country.

Flying to Dusseldorf for first group game then back home again.
Flying to Frankfurt for second group game, but also doing:
Berlin: Austria v Poland
Hamburg: Czech v Georgia
Leipzig: Croatia v Italy
Then to Cologne for last group game and fly home.

Cancellable flights and hotels sorted for all KO games, also if we come 2nd in group (heaven forbid!).

Tips:
- Join ESTC and get caps for future tournaments.
- If travelling on train out of the local areas, buy one of the €29.50 Euro 2024 train tickets. We've saved loads doing that.
https://int.bahn.de/en/offers/special-offers/fan-ticket-football
- Jon Darch (City fan) does an excellent website on the Euros, also worth a follow on twitter for good travel tips:

https://www.euro2024ingermany.com/
https://x.com/SafeStandingRS

EnglandFlag.JPG

Yep thats how I got tickets, through ESTC. Had my eye on USA 2026 as we've got family there, but Euro 28 now is a bonus and should aim to get to every game for that

I'll check out those links thanks!

4 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Yep thats how I got tickets, through ESTC. Had my eye on USA 2026 as we've got family there, but Euro 28 now is a bonus and should aim to get to every game for that

I'll check out those links thanks!

USA 2026 looks brilliant - but not sure how to keep the cost down for that... some big distances.
When I went there last year, it was sooo expensive. Pound in the toilet.

Just wanted to chip in on this thread. No tickets for me this year. Took a punt on the final in open ballot but unsurprisingly no joy. Going to Glastonbury in late June so can’t get a pass to travel for earlier tournie games anyway. Looking forward to watching at home anyway.

just a note regarding Düsseldorf for anyone who is going and hasn’t been before. I went on a stag do a few years back (1 day Amsterdam , 2 days Düsseldorf). Was pretty underwhelmed when the dusslwdorf leg was announced as hadn’t really heard much about it . Had a couple of really great days in the city though. Some good bars down by the big river to watch the games in, also some nice traditional pub zones . Dark beer was the local beer of choice , and some kind of roast pork bap seemed to be the go to evening grub . I reckon anyone going will have a cracker there even if it doesn’t have its name up in lights like Berlin / Munich etc 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Club and Country said:

Berlin is an incredible city... proper weird but if you head to the right places can be a mind blowing weekend!

im off out for England Denmark but very much in and out from Frankfurt sadly, and then hopefully back out for a knockout game 

Had my stag there…brilliant long weekend.  My bruv (also best man) had worked out there putting in printing machines, so knew all the places to go.  Having said that we always seemed to end up in Irish bars and eating KFC!

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

The E29.90 euro train tickets ONLY VALID WITH A MATCH DAY TICKET

Question/s,the sight will allow you to book the E29.90 euro ticket,but who actually checks that you have a match day ticket to validate your E29.90 euro train fare?

Is it a question of the train ticket being inspected on the train and if you can't prove you have a match day ticket  is not valid and you would have to pay the full fare for the journey being made?

Are the fares valid if you have a match day ticket and travel to location of the match a day or two before the game takes place

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

Went to Berlin 2 weeks ago and was completely underwhelmed! Severe lack of pubs and boy did we try and find some! A really boring venue for a stag do, more somewhere to take the Mrs!

Did a stag in Berlin for the England 3-2 win there and had a great time. Been several other times too including another England win (think Matt Upson scored?!) and certainly never had a problem finding a bar.

The main issue with the city is it doesn't really have a historic core with old squares like other European cities too. It's a very modern layout and you have to travel distances to get to different areas. 

It's definitely a party town though, the techno clubs of east Berlin are legendary. 

• Like 1