IGNORED

This Bad Run Started On 27/2 /04 At 4.48 Pm

headhunter

We are all getting uptight because of our poor start to the season but the current form is just a continuation of where we left off last term.

Yes, we had that great run but can anyone say we looked worldbeaters at any stage of it then it all started to go pear-shaped from the moment we conceded that injury time goal at Hillsborough.

Our form in our last 21 competitive games reads as follows :

6 WINS - 6 DRAWS - 9 DEFEATS.

That is, in effect, 24 points from a possible 63 = relegation form.

I was never a Wilson fan but I think even if he had been in charge this campaign things would have got off to a similarly indifferent start.

He was never a great motivator [i know that's said from an outsiders perspective] whilst Tinman is inexperienced and managerially naieve - yes he has the coaching badges but what training has he been given in general man management techniques ?

Chairman Steve Lansdown has to be accountable as well. If he lost an executive in his company who managed a critical component of the business would he hand over the running of it to someone who just had the paper qualifications to do the job - I think not.

When Tinnion was appointed I felt that this was more than likely going to be a season of consolidation - this is looking likely after 4 games of organised chaos.

In 98 when Wardy had Lennartson brought in above him he threw his toys out of the pram and left. I think the board should be looking at something similar if our position has not improved by the end of September. Tinnion would be wise to accept that scenario and not behave like Ward.

So, who shall be our respected older statesman ? Pleat, Atkinson, Graham, Wilkinson - they all have enough money already so may offer their services at a rate we can afford !!

We are all getting uptight because of our poor start to the season but the current form is just a continuation of where we left off last term.

Yes, we had that great run but can anyone say we looked worldbeaters at any stage of it then it all started to go pear-shaped from the moment we conceded that injury time goal at Hillsborough.

Our form in our last 21 competitive games reads as follows :

6 WINS - 6 DRAWS - 9 DEFEATS.

That is, in effect, 24 points from a possible 63 = relegation form.

I was never a Wilson fan but I think even if he had been in charge this campaign things would have got off to a similarly indifferent start.

He was never a great motivator [i know that's said from an outsiders perspective] whilst Tinman is inexperienced and managerially naieve - yes he has the coaching badges but what training has he been given in general man management techniques ?

Chairman Steve Lansdown has to be accountable as well. If he lost an executive in his company who managed a critical component of the business would he hand over the running of it to someone who just had the paper qualifications to do the job - I think not.

When Tinnion was appointed I felt that this was more than likely going to be a season of consolidation - this is looking likely after 4 games of organised chaos.

In 98 when Wardy had Lennartson brought in above him he threw his toys out of the pram and left. I think the board should be looking at something similar if our position has not improved by the end of September. Tinnion would be wise to accept that scenario and not behave like Ward.

So, who shall be our respected older statesman ? Pleat, Atkinson, Graham, Wilkinson - they all have enough money already so may offer their services at a rate we can afford !!

Sir I refer you to my rant on the latest Roberts thread clearly we were #### toward the end of last season and your statistical input supports this even though many appear to have forgotten ...despite this Roberts kept coming up with the goods (goals)when we were so woeful at making chances or defending dead balls (any stats on this....)However Mr Wilson had time and money to create the rubbish that we were, where as Tinman has not so I cant agree with the main thrust of your letter as yet...but nice to see someone does actually watch the games and the stats...

Your statistics make interesting reading. However, putting it in context, the run in at the end of last season (after the Weds match) included playing Plymouth, QPR, Brighton twice, Hartlepool twice, and Swindon. Also, the shambles we've made at the start of this season surely wouldn't have occurred under Wilson so its a little unfair to group this mess in with last season. As I've posted a few times before, the 2nd half of last season (the last 23 league games) generated 48 points - if replicated over the season that's 96 points - championship winning form.

As for SL's running of his own business, he is very much a "recruit from within" man. Interestingly, his advisory team has undergone a lot of changes over the last 2 years, starting with the loss of an experienced manager, a 'youthful' internal appointment to replace him, and the implementation of a new wage structure that saw the departure of experienced advisers. He now has a 'youthful', talented and enthusiastic team of advisers. Sound familiar?

As financial advisers, a streamlining in management and support staff works because the company's whose products they recommend are able to provide much of the support. At Bristol City Football Club, however, the cavalry ain't coming - there's no-one out there to help train and develop the players. You have to do it yourself. Sacking two of the games most respected coaches and not replacing them is, to my mind, a shocking and naive decision bordering on negligence.

Is it just me, or has the Millen / Tinnion relationship raised any memories of the Phil Neal / Graham Taylor relationship shown in the 'do I not like orange' documentary? Millen must be chuffed to bits to be appointed as number 2 and indebted to Tinnion for the decision. How can he say anything else but 'yes boss'?

So for sure, the club needs an old and experienced head. With a cricketer as chief exec, do we have anyone who knows about football at board level? As Mourinho said on MOTD last night (I paraphrase from memory):"Lots of people think they know about football but what they actually know is not very much". Would we be in this mess if there was an experienced football man on the board? The same man could be used on the training ground, on the surface delivering Tinnion's orders, but behind the scenes explaining why, for example, he shouldn't be making the mistakes that he's currently making.

Who should it be? I don't know, and I don't think the board will appoint such a person either (unless they start to hear a sufficient backlash from the fans at the way the club is currently being run by them).

Guest Neilio

Even when we went on that 11 match run I can remember chating to my mates about it, everyone saying we was amazing and all this and then I said we still didn't look convincing during those wins, we still were onlying winning 1-0 or 2-1 it wasn't like we were playing football that we dream of and scoring loads, and where as the run we went on when we got promoted people used to go to the game expecting to win, knowing we would win, you would know we would atleast score a couple but during the run last season I still went to every game thinking well its going to end now... It hasn't been convincing for quite a time but things will pick up, surely ?

Although I don't think we would have played quite this badly if we still had Wilson in charge I do agree that this is being carried over from last season, as Neilio said we didn't take apart a single team on our 11 game run, I think I only missed the Notts C game from that run, and the majority of the games it just seemed that we had most of the luck and were able to sneak the win.

Tinnion has inherited a team that has lost Carey, Brown and Peacock, he also has had a lot less money than Wilson was ever given. But Tinnion has been tactically awful playing players out of position in a stupid formation. The idea of bringing in somebody to show tinnion the way seems ok because unless Tinnion can miraculously turn things around within the next couple of games it is going to be an incredibly difficult season for him.

Archived