IGNORED

Midfield Has Always Been The Problem, Not Attack

cityfan

I for one. fail to understand this obsession with getting new strikers. Two years ago we score 100 goals, last season not as many but enough to get us to third spot again. Millers late miss at Swindon effectively cost us promotion. We still have more than enough goal scorers.

THE PROBLEM HAS ALWAYS BEEN MIDFIELD.

The balls played through are inadequate, often mispaced and invariably in the air. They are the engine of the team but they fail to fill the void between defence and attack.

Our attackers are small, pacey players who go past men. They need the ball to their feet to do so or inside the backs to run onto. The whole division is familiar with the City overlaps down the left wing. It's predictable and now defendable.

I would like to see a more inventive midfield, going for the return ball, running the overlap through the defence, playing the triangles, playing into space and generally supporting and providing for the attackers.

Tommy Doherty is class in this division with vision and time to spare on the ball. I think the rest of the midfield is up for grabs. ORR has alot of stamina, but positionally is poor, poor link up with Tommy and the forwards and hasn't delivered much. Clayton is new. Wilkshire will never score goals and whilst busy is not truly effective. Scotty has lost his pace. There is no one to replace the manager.

This is City's problem, not Roberts, Lita, Heff, Gillespie and others. I think all thes guys can score goals and importantly, have proved it at this level.

MIDFIElD is the problem, not the strikers!

Guest TinmansCulturedLeftPeg

Yeah because look at all the other teams in this division....I mean,come on,their midfield is sooooo much better than ours (sarcasm)!

Get real.

You praise Doherty but his position is also up for grabs on current form. His career goal scoring record is also abysmal.

Wilkshire can score goals, note that superb shot that hit the bar in the Olympics.

Agree though, midfield has been a problem for at least 3 seasons and we've watched countless players like Rowlands who could have solved the problem move to our rivals.

I think the strikers are there, only problem is Tinman doesn't agree with me, he keeps on playing other ones. ;)

I think we've got some of the best attacking midfielders in this division..the trouble is their not playing(Aaron Brown and Luke Wilkshire!)....

I could sit down alday,exaggerate and pick faults....it's the easiest thing in the world....this thread is pathetic!

Pathetic maybe....

Got to say it, but I've said it plenty of times previously regarding creativity and chances and we've lacked it. Movement off the ball especially, we seem to have the passing side but lack the movement into spaces, the work rate for it.

At times on Saturday we had Throw Ins and there was absolutely no movement off the ball and no options. I can but hope that it improves somehow.

Archived