IGNORED

Same Old Carey

Guest uncle john

Guest uncle john

As I live on Nottingham I thought I'd pop along to the City Ground to see Forest v Coventry and have a look at our old friend Louis Carey.

Would the move up a division, with a new 'in your face' manager (Peter Reid) suddenly put fire in his belly, adding steely tackling and clenched fists a la Terry Butcher, Sean Taylor, Stuart Pearce to an already accomplished defender? Or would the step up a division leave him floundering and all at sea, unable to cope with the new quality of attackers pouring at him from all sides?

Well, neither, really. He was exactly the same as ever. Was playing right back not centre back (with experienced Richard Shaw and Steve Staunton in the back 4), and pottered around on the right flank, never breaking sweat and daydreaming a bit in his own little world. To begin with he was a little nervous and avoided the ball, but his touch, composure on the ball, and passing were definitely Div 1 class-though they were no better than they had been at City, they definitely did not look out of place. He would push forward down the right when there was space, and a few times made daring runs right into the box alongside the strikers. He looked like the kid in Park football who wants to score and so runs out of position. Needless to say, he had to rush back to the right flank when the cross eluded him.

G00D MOMENTS.

2 beautiful Bobby Moore perfectly timed tackles that won ripples of applause from the Coventry fans.

Once Andy Reid (5 million rated, Spurs chasing him) was atttacking him down the flank and Carey just took the ball clean off him. Reid got his revenge with a vicious 2 footer, and was booked.

DODGY MOMENTS.

1.He pushed forward, Forest went on the break, Reid went clean through down the left with Carey stranded upfield, a centre back had to come across, and he crossed for Gareth Taylor to miss a virtual open goal. As the score was 0-0 at the time, it could have cost Coventry the match. Forest didn't threaten again.

2.He was running back to defend David Johnson running through after a ball over the top, another defender was there so Carey didn't have to do anything, but he put his arm round Johnson's neck from behind and pulled him to the ground. The Forest fans were screaming off off off, but a yellow card was about right.

In general though, Forest went down to 10 men, their keeper cost them two goals, and they were pretty weak anyway so this was one of his easier tests of the season. The whole second half was just Coventry playing keep ball and he played it safe and sat back in his own half. He might be exposed against some of the top 6 sides, but basically Reid has made a good signing and the Coventry fans must surely be pleased with what they've got. He's exactly the same player with all his strengths and weaknesses, and quite happy at this level. In fact, fewer long balls probably suits him.

One more thing- everyone says fans at Ashton Gate are particularly critical, which I've never believed; are we worse than any others? but at the City Ground they were clapping and cheering everything and were very patient, and even at 4-1 down were singing 'Forest till I die', though obviously individually there were moaners. But maybe that's because Forest are exceptional and City are just normal - when you've had their success for the past 25 years you can afford to let the odd thing go.

I had been pleased to see Carey go in the summer if he wanted out, but we could probably do with him back now!

wwatched the Coventry v Sunderland game on sky and thought he looked a little slow in reacting and reading the game but I spoke to a Coventry fan who said that he was like that for the first few games but is getting better and better. To be honest though is it Carey that we are missing in the team? do we not have a right back which is good enough to be his replacement?

Guest theghostofbrianmitchell

the gulf between championship and league one is very small if there even is a gulf between these two particular divisions

Cant agree with thegostofbrianmitchell, I think there's a massive gap between the two divisions, just look at the teams in the Championship, Leeds, Sunderland, Ipswich, West Ham, Wolves etc, how can you compare these with Torquay, Wrexham etc, much more quality in the Championship. : :ph34r:

do we not have a right back which is good enough to be his replacement?

I'm not totally sure yet. Obviously Smith needs time to fully settle in, but it seems to me he could be one of these players that hides the fact he isnt brilliant by always storming into tackles. Everyone seems to love him for it but I'm not totally comfortable with him so far.

Probably to early for proper judgement though.

Archived