IGNORED

Doherty, Hard Man, Nah, Weed

cheshire_red

I'm utterly redgobsmacked. Just read Red Tops piece in The Incider http://www.theincider.com/regulars/redtop.php to find that the one who runs out of puff quicker than an OAP on top of Everest is in fact a SMOKER.

I am outraged at this news, utter disbelief. What the ##### is going on? This Forum has debated long and hard about Doherty's lack of fitness, his unbelievable lack of stamina, not once did any poster mention, that I can recall, his habit. Okay, I smoke more cigars than are good for me but it does not affect my work performance, some may question this as I am more likely to have a heart attack etc in the future, but he is the CLUB CAPTAIN and allegedly a professional sportsman????????

It begs belief it really does take the proverbial.

I cannont belive what i am hearing, that would explain his somewhat lethargic efforts come the last 20 mins of a game, when he usualy gets subbed anyway. How can our club captain and current international be a smoker, thats a disgrace.

Strip him of the captaincy permenantly and make an example of him, that is not the sort of behavior i want to see from any city player.

Over the years i have smoked on and off and also played rugby to quite a high level and can honestly say that if i smoke in the week of a match and certainly on the day of a match, i would only perform at 70% of what was possible...

This is more scientifically backed up with the beep test shuttle runs which also went down by aprrox 20% if recently smoked...

So, Tommy D you need to explain your self!

so what is the club opinion of their players smoking, especially the captain. I smoke myself so cannot really have a go, but it would be nice to see how the club itself stands on the issue!!

i'm afraid to shock you all but half the team smoke!!!!!

so theres no point slagging tommy off saying he is setting a bad example because it means you will have to slag off the team.

Any professional footballer who smokes is setting a bad example, hindering their own career as well showing total disregard for the club that pays their wages.

Whether it's one, half or all the team that smoke, they are ALL setting a bad example.

As for Doherty, I've been saying it for years - he's a liablity.

Guest pogue mahone

rather good footballers who also happened to be chain smokers during their career volume 1.

ardiles

vialli

socrates

and of course the best player of all time johann cruyff.

now, who really gives a flying monkeys **** if doherty smokes or not ? i know i don't. the fact that he is a very limited footballer has nothing to do with his nicotine intake. footballers smoke, always have done, always will.

at least he's not raping teenage girls in west end hotels, or killing people by reckless driving and fleeing the scene.

Guest pogue mahone
<br /> I think the difference there though is all these players didn't let it affect there fitness and stamina.

because it didn't have to, because the examples i gave are top quality footballers who had a very good understanding of the game.

doherty however, through no fault of his own, is your archetypal lower league "get stuck in" journeyman with poor fitness. and he would be the same even if he led the life of a monk on a high protein diet.

I must be very naive (sp). I always assumed MOST footballers didn't smoke, for obvious reasons. Saying that, as it now appears that half the team smokes, why has it taken so long for it to be common knowledge? Were many players hiding the fact before, maybe only smoking at home etc. Are they now seen in public places puffing away? Has the club let this become the norm and now accept this?

I remember reading something from Steve L saying fitness levels were constantly monitored. So is a 'smoking Doc' compared to anyone else or just himself. If he is only being monitored with himself surely this means he is giving a consistant smokers reading, not taking into account that he could be so much fitter?

I got the image of them trotting off at HT and being handed cigarrettes in the tunnel!

:sport18:

You wouldn't catch any players at Arsenal smoking OR drinking for that matter.

Ok, so we don't know how many he smokes a day. But even if he smokes a few a day that will effect his fitness on the football field FACT.

Smoking isn't effecting the fact that he has no pace and he can't pass, purely his fitness which is a vital part of playing sport I'm afraid!

Guest pogue mahone
You wouldn't catch any players at Arsenal smoking OR drinking for that matter.

maybe not anymore (parlour excepted), but given the substance abuse of some of their mid-90's squad, and the non-effect it had on their ability to play the game properly, i really do wonder what all the fuss is about.

christ, at least half of our side that played in division 1 in the early 90's smoked, and i doubt if that percentage has changed since.

christ, at least half of our side that played in division 1 in the early 90's smoked, and i doubt if that percentage has changed since.

Didn't do them much good that season then did it?

It's all about percentages. A player who smokes 5 a day might not be able to stretch for that cross in the last minute while one who doesn't smoke might.

It's an attitude thing mainly though - everyone knows smoking is detrimental to health and in a profession where health is paramount it clearly cannot be condoned in any way.

Guest pogue mahone
<br /> Didn't do them much good that season then did it?

you really think that we are the only club whose players smoke ? i would imagine the percentage is similar to any other club at our level.

<br /> you really think that we are the only club whose players smoke ? i would imagine the percentage is similar to any other club at our level.

I have no idea how many footballers smoke. I would imagine that tightly-run clubs like Arsenal and Wigan to name but two do not tolerate it in any shape or form.

If the fans know it, the club know it yet Doherty is not only rewarded with a 3-year deal but the Captaincy of the club. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark. The club need to address issues relating to the health of the playing staff. Steve Lansdown's comment on the issue in my view was unsatisfactory - cigarettes should be banned - that way there can be no "middle ground" on whether or not they are affecting performances.

Guest pogue mahone
I would imagine that tightly-run clubs like Arsenal and Wigan to name but two do not tolerate it in any shape or form.

<br /> i find that incredibly naive, especially given the behaviour of some of england's so-called top players over the past few months.

this is the real world not roy of the rovers. i would imagine that there are players at both arsenal and wigan who smoke, whether the club tolerate it or not.

<br /> i find that incredibly naive, especially given the behaviour of some of england's so-called top players over the past few months.

this is the real world not roy of the rovers. i would imagine that there are players at both arsenal and wigan who smoke, whether the club tolerate it or not.

Of course there will be players who smoke throughout the game but that doesn't make it any more acceptable. The question is over the disciplinary structure at Ashton Gate and I feel there are serious questions over the strictness of it.

Archived