IGNORED

Roberts....

elhombrecito

I thought Christian had an excellent game today (apart from that appalling miss! :baa: ) and definately deserves to start against Peterborough on Saturday. Let's hope he does. He caused the Brentford defence no end of problems with his unpredicability for the whole 90 mins, and was todays unsung hero in my opinion. notworthy.gif

The best player on the field for me, was Luke Wilkshire who made a huge difference on his (home) return. Saying that though, I just knew that Scotty would be made MOTM.... :ph34r:

I thought Christian had an excellent game today (apart from that appalling miss!  :baa: ) and definately deserves to start against Peterborough on Saturday. Let's hope he does. He caused the Brentford defence no end of problems with his unpredicability for the whole 90 mins, and was todays unsung hero in my opinion. notworthy.gif

The best player on the field for me, was Luke Wilkshire who made a huge difference on his (home) return. Saying that though, I just knew that Scotty would be made MOTM....  :ph34r:

Totally disagree. Normally I rate Roberts, but he was the worst on the pitch today. Two good passes (one to Scotty on the right) and one other, but that was about it.

I thought Christian had an excellent game today (apart from that appalling miss!  :baa: ) and definately deserves to start against Peterborough on Saturday. Let's hope he does. He caused the Brentford defence no end of problems with his unpredicability for the whole 90 mins, and was todays unsung hero in my opinion. notworthy.gif

The best player on the field for me, was Luke Wilkshire who made a huge difference on his (home) return. Saying that though, I just knew that Scotty would be made MOTM....  :ph34r:

I thought roberts was very good but people around me were saying he was rubbish , you cant win with some people!

Guest comeonyoureds

roberts had a good game but i just wish sometimes he had a bit of composure instead of always trying to break the back of the net? that miss he had only needed to hit the target but went for power instead of accuracy.

apart from that he did well and caused a few problems although a question mark still lies on his ability to read the game, sometimes he didnt seem to know what to do with the ball, but yes he should start next saturday!

I would agree.  I await the response from "jackhartlanduk" with interest.

I'll have a fiver on "Roberts is poo", just for a change  :ph34r:

Yep, Roberts could personally deliver the moon on a stick, and these morons still wouldnt be happy; there's no pleasing some people :baa:

Yep, Roberts could personally deliver the moon on a stick, and these morons still wouldnt be happy; there's no pleasing some people  :ph34r:

Take a look back at my posts and I have been a consistent supporter of Roberts. But I genuinely don't see where the praise is coming from based on today's performance:

- I counted at least 5 occasions where he couldn't be ar5ed to go for the ball and Tinnion scootered past him from 10 yards back.

- He missed a number of opportunities to lay it off (the weird attempt on the open goal when he was on the line but 2 city players were on the edge of the box, the time when lita was breaking but he failed to spot it until too late and so on and so on).

What was so impressive? How many shots on goal did he have? How many times did he get past a defender instead of running it into them? How many times did he do a defense splitting pass (I spotted two).

Don't get me wrong - I was rooting for the guy, but I find it perverse that when he plays a blinder not many people pick on it and on a day when he is at best average, he gets nothing but praise...

Roberts had a few good touches and played well. Much better than in any previous matches.

He worked harder than usual and seemed to appricaiate the chance that Tinman gave him.

But he seemed to want to keep the ball a bit to much and seemed a liitle slow at seeing passing oppertunities.

For example twice Roberts was running through and had Lita & Murray going full pelt on the outside of him. He only relised the oppertunity when they were off-side.

But overall i'd give Roberts 7/10, a good show from the welshman!!

I wasnt to sure about Roberts today it wasnt one of his best games as a striker, but his passing was pretty good. I think it was an average perfomance from him.. He can do better and he has done worst..

I was surprised by the amount of people slating him though.. He wasnt bad today just not his best.

The only thing further I can say is that although it was only an average performance, it is our first win.

Somehow, you expected something when the line-up was read out and you realised he was up-front.

Good game or bad, he contributes something. Even today, his pace and quickness of thought is the reason Wilkshire had time and space to pick his spot.

The bottom line is he helped Leroy keep the entire defence on the back foot and helped the team push up.

He helped achieve what we were prmoised by Tins; attacking football with the opposition pegged back..

Can anybody say (hand on heart) any other forward in our squad would have helped the TEAM CAUSE as much as Roberts inclusion appeared too today?

His pure awkwardness causes headaches and his undying belief in his own ability (even when he has cocked it up time and again) helps lift the side.

I firmly believe the "intangible" parts of his game are not lost on Tins and he will be an automatic choice alongside Lita for the next couple of games at least.

IMHO he made a couple of good runs and then lost his confidence at the last minute, bottled it and mucked up at the last moment. Plus at points he was too greedy and should have passed earlier instead of going for the net. He just didn't have the skill to pull it off so why not pass it to someone who does rather than fluffing a shot or late pass.

If he did, he could set up some good goals and avoid the criticism.

C

Good game or bad, he contributes something.  Even today, his pace and quickness of thought is the reason Wilkshire had time and space to pick his spot.

The bottom line is he helped Leroy keep the entire defence on the back foot and helped the team push up.

He helped achieve what we were prmoised by Tins; attacking football with the opposition pegged back..

Can anybody say (hand on heart) any other forward in our squad would have helped the TEAM CAUSE as much as Roberts inclusion appeared too today?

His pure awkwardness causes headaches and his undying belief in his own ability (even when he has cocked it up time and again) helps lift the side.

I firmly believe the "intangible" parts of his game are not lost on Tins and he will be an automatic choice alongside Lita for the next couple of games at least.

Spot on Neo.

He is a striker and often gets into positions outwide because he movement off the ball is good. As a striker it is difficult not to think of scoring goals as your priority, I don't think he was helped by Lita's movement today. If we can coach him well, we have someone who is v.quick, has some tricks, and can score all sorts of goals for us; if we can coach him well

Something for the Roberts Knockers to think about. How many goals do we score in games when Roberts is in the front two? I have thought back and whilst we dont score more than one in a game that often we do seem to do it more regularly when Roberts is up front (on the wing, out of position does not count in my view).

One of the possible reasons is that for someone who often seems "brain dead" on the ball, he makes a lot of intelligent runs off the ball opening up space for other players. To see this though, the boo boys need to stop "ball watching" for 90 minutes and watch the game properly. Try having a look at what is going on all over the pitch.

I personally think Roberts can play better than he did today but he is not the useless t w a t that many on this forum would have us believe (in my opinion, of course).

Something for the Roberts Knockers to think about. How many goals do we score in games when Roberts is in the front two? I have thought back and whilst we dont score more than one in a game that often we do seem to do it more regularly when Roberts is up front (on the wing, out of position does not count in my view).

One of the possible reasons is that for someone who often seems "brain dead" on the ball, he makes a lot of intelligent runs off the ball opening up space for other players. To see this though, the boo boys need to stop "ball watching" for 90 minutes and watch the game properly. Try having a look at what is going on all over the pitch.

I personally think Roberts can play better than he did today but he is not the useless t w a t that many on this forum would have us believe (in my opinion, of course).

Spot on!!

I thought Roberts was playing too wide in the second half, until it was pointed out to me that this was pulling the Brentford defence out of position and creating more chances. What happened?

Oh yes, we scored 3 more goals.

Agree he makes some intelligent runs and pulls defenders everywhere. Two seasons ago in our free flowing season Roberts led line and we kept scoring. Rberts creates space for Murray and that is ackknowledged by his celebrations he went to him to thank him for taking centre backs out of game to leave him one on one. Whan murray moves into centre Roberts drifts out wide to cover for him.

Roberts was excellent today in the first 70 minutes, went a bit off towards the end but he caused the defence so many problems he must start next Saturday.

Although he is still too slow to release a pass I'm very impressed with how his touch and vision has improved since he signed from Exeter City.

I have to agree with a lot of the comments here. I will admit I've not been his biggest fan purely because basically he couldn't hit a barn door alot of the time, but as has been pointed out he is an excellent team player and today caused brentford all sorts of problems with his running off the ball and on it.

If only the guy could finish he'd be a hell of a player.

Guest pentlandsl

At the end of last season Roberts had me converted - he showed what he was capable of when he concentrates.

Today however he was truly dreadful, his decision making was awful and his control was lacking. He seems to nod off when he hasn't seen the ball for a while and acts like a surprised rabbit when it finally comes to him.

If anyone can get the best out of him it is Tinman, he HAS to take him to one side and re-enforce (a) he needs to concentrate 100% for 90 minutes and (b) he needs to take an extra second to look up, calm down and score or pass intelligently.

Roberts has the ability but he so often doesn't use it.

If he sorts himself out he will rightly be in the first team every game, if not then when Goodfellow is fit then he should play instead.

Murray was good today but Man of the Match for sheer quality of passing, drive and commitment has to be Tinnion - the best player by far.

At the end of last season Roberts had me converted - he showed what he was capable of when he concentrates.

Today however he was truly dreadful, his decision making was awful and his control was lacking.  He seems to nod off when he hasn't seen the ball for a while and acts like a surprised rabbit when it finally comes to him.

If anyone can get the best out of him it is Tinman, he HAS to take him to one side and re-enforce (a) he needs to concentrate 100% for 90 minutes and (b) he needs to take an extra second to look up, calm down and score or pass intelligently.

Roberts has the ability but he so often doesn't use it.

If he sorts himself out he will rightly be in the first team every game, if not then when Goodfellow is fit then he should play instead.

Murray was good today but Man of the Match for sheer quality of passing, drive and commitment has to be Tinnion - the best player by far.

Come on, if you're going to criticise, plenty of players are open to it.

Murray was awful until he scored, Doherty was all hustle and bustle with no creativity whatsoever and had a poor first half, Lita was mostly anonymous. I could go on, but what's the point - in the end City won well and they ALL played a part.

No other player has their performance dissected so brutally after each game as Roberts does. We could equally crucify almost any of them if we so pleased. :)

i was impressed by everyone on the pitch for city today

it goes to show what the players can do when they want to.

i was impressed in the first half by the way robbo and murray

kept switching and over lapping down the flank which totally

foxed the left back and didn't know who to mark.

also that 40 yard ball is back spread wide to murray to run on

to and score keep it up lads...

well done city

Guest mereyman1
roberts had a good game but i just wish sometimes he had a bit of composure instead of always trying to break the back of the net? that miss he had only needed to hit the target but went for power instead of accuracy.

apart from that he did well and caused a few problems although a question mark still lies on his ability to read the game, sometimes he didnt seem to know what to do with the ball, but yes he should start next saturday!

Spot on

A couple of games starting, and I reckon you'll see the performance improve, especially as Tin man dont have such a defensive mentality as Wonder-son, as the confidence flows back in..........s true he didnt have his best game, but then neither did Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeroy, but the pair of em both caused the Brentford defence problems, allowing Scoot, Wilks, and others to get in and create chances......hence the 4-1, which as I posted earlier is exactly what Lee M, and him did last season, at Brighton, despite not scoring.

Roberts had a few good touches and played well. Much better than in any previous matches.

He worked harder than usual and seemed to appricaiate the chance that Tinman gave him.

But he seemed to want to keep the ball a bit to much and seemed a liitle slow at seeing passing oppertunities.

For example twice Roberts was running through and had Lita & Murray going full pelt on the outside of him. He only relised the oppertunity when they were off-side.

But overall i'd give Roberts 7/10, a good show from the welshman!!

Disagree with one part of that about Murray and Lita running through, i could see both times from where i was sat roberts had the ball and knew Murray was in an ok position but knew if lita bothered to ever check a run he wouldn't have been offside and would have been in a great position. Both times Lita started his run about a yard offside and then only stopped when he was at least 2 yards offside, you could see that Robbo was just waiting the whole time for him to check his run and not be 2 yards offside, but Lita didn't bother.

Thought he had a very good game personally lead the line better than i hvae seen any city forward do for a long while, even after 70 mins when Lita was absolutely knackered Robbo was still flying down the left and right, but Lita couldn't even get close to the edge of the box by the time robbo had got to the byline, Roberts has incredible stamina, one of the few physical aspects that Lita misses from his game, he always slows down a lot after 60-70 minuites, while Robbo just keeps on going.

Overall a very encouraging performance by both of them, and the look like they could forge a very good partnership, with pace and power in abundance, the only thing lacking is finishing from both of them, but with time and confidence they will be a devastating front line.

Archived