IGNORED

Still Need A 2nd Keeper

Guest pentlandsl

Phillips was truly dreadful, he doesn't seem capable of coming for a cross or commanding his area. He is the single main reason we concede so many goals from set pieces. He is a good instinctive stopper but that is about all.

The difference today was Butler who covers up Phillps' shortcomings with his aerial power. Without Butler we would have shipped more goals and cuold have ended up with a 4-4 or 4-5.

Phillips was truly dreadful, he doesn't seem capable of coming for a cross or commanding his area.  He is the single main reason we concede so many goals from set pieces.  He is a good instinctive stopper but that is about all.

The difference today was Butler who covers up Phillps' shortcomings with his aerial power.  Without Butler we would have shipped more goals and cuold have ended up with a 4-4 or 4-5.

Thats a tad harsh, oh and by a tad i mean a lot. How was he dreadful he dealt with 3 crosses that came in his zone, including flicking one off a brentford players head.

He was, along with the defence, at fault for the 2nd port vale goal, but to say he was at fault fot he first is harsh beyond belief, the ball went 6 inches inside the top corner! Give the player who scored some credit, like the goal today it was just a cracking cross and a good header

Guest WillsbridgeRed

I just don't understand why the glaring weaknesses have not been sorted in the last year?

Afterall, isn't that what coaches, ambition and training for?

I just don't understand why the glaring weaknesses have not been sorted in the last year?

Afterall, isn't that what coaches, ambition and training for?

He's like anyone, that is his achilles heel, like tinmans right foot, like roberts brain, and most of all like tommy constant arguing with the ref.

It's something that cannot be taught, towards the end of the season he was starting to get good punches on crosses and getting them away from the area, this season he has gone back to trying to catch them, which he is very nervous about, not helped by the 'phillips your ####' that is heard if something does go wrong. If he gets back to punching the ball then he should be fine.

Thats a tad harsh, oh and by a tad i mean a lot. How was he dreadful he dealt with 3 crosses that came in his zone, including flicking one off a brentford players head.

He was, along with the defence, at fault for the 2nd port vale goal, but to say he was at fault fot he first is harsh beyond belief, the ball went 6 inches inside the top corner! Give the player who scored some credit, like the goal today it was just a cracking cross and a good header

He sets the wall, he set a two man wall where a good shot (and it was an excellent shot) could get round.

In a position like that he should have had a bigger wall, it didn't go over it went round.

you're all having a laugh, Phillips is a top notch keeper, there is no better keeper in our division. You show me a keeper who doesn't make mistakes! At our level no-one is perfect but you will find a lot of the time Phillips is keeping us in the game with some of his outstanding saves. Maybe we don't have anyone pressuring him because there is no-one good enough around who could!

Guest WillsbridgeRed
you're all having a laugh, Phillips is a top notch keeper, there is no better keeper in our division. You show me a keeper who doesn't make mistakes! At our level no-one is perfect but you will find a lot of the time Phillips is keeping us in the game with some of his outstanding saves. Maybe we don't have anyone pressuring him because there is no-one good enough around who could!

Any decent keeper in our league has always been snapped up. You say we're having a laugh but he's been to blame for a number of goals aready this season.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Sorry but a goal keepers job isn't just to stop shots, he has to have other areas to his game!

People have forgotten what its like to have a decent keeper between the posts, but then its only been in the last year that Phillips shortcomings have been highlighted.

It does seem strange that they have only become so evident now, but that's a mute point.

strong keepers breed confidence in back line.Ours dont ever know what Steve is going to do and dont trust him.

How many times have i seen balls over top or played through which he could claim but stays rooted to his line??? too many.Corners crosses free kicks etc,no presence.Opposition sense this and put the ball closer and closer knowing he wont come for it and putting more pressure on the defence.

He did seem to improve at end of last season but gone back into his shell again.

Note how he always blames others for confusion when they are looking to him for guidence....mind you Schmmical(sp) did that to and he was a wan**er,sorry ,great keeper. :)

How many goals has he prevented though? that's the thing with keepers people have a go if we're conceding. You'll find some of the crosses were in areas that should of been dealt with by the defence. People don't remember all the saves they just remember the goals!

Have to agree with what you are saying there NailseaRed. We are extemely lucky to have such a great goalkeeper. Brian Tinnion I recall said putting a goalkeeper on the bench was wasting a precious space, but I don't recall him using all the players avaliable yeeterday. I think Davis should be subbed in during half time to give the bloke a chance and to make Phillips work for his place on the team.

I do agree that competition is never really a bad thing in a team and pushes each player to improve. I just don't think Phillips deserves the critcism he gets sometimes. I definitely rate shop stopping above commanding your area, but I just think that it's not always his fault. keepers shuoldn't need to come for every single cross, I'd lay blame at a lot of our defenders feet, or should i say head!, when it comes to corners.

Phillips is a great shot stopper, but he does need to work on his control of the area. And he also needs to work on his kicking, which very nearly cost us a goal yesterday. Its usually OK, but he tends to have at least one dodgy clearance per game.

What's wrong with Stowell? He is a good keeper!

Archived