IGNORED

New Striker And Potential Funds

Guest Far_East_Red

Guest Far_East_Red

With Clayton Fortune being dropped from the first sixteen, I wonder if the Preston offer is still on the table? After an inconclusive start to the season and being unsure of regular future starts the offer may now tempt both him and the club.

Sure he is one for the future and has at times shown a lot of composure on the ball. Could even be a potentially good target man with more aggression as he linked up play well when he was tried once by DW. Amazed he wasn't tried in the reserves in that capacity rather than just thrown into the the first team as centre forward for a one-off.

Still, the point is that future prospects are secondary to the clubs needs right now. Steve Howard seems to be the perfect 'target-man' recruit. Of course Luton are doing well and City are struggling but we are unquestionably a bigger club. The 400,000 total fee from Preston might just be enough to tempt Luton into parting with Howard as I think, unless things have improved recently, their finances are more shaky than most.

The last thing the club need to do is splash out another 200,000 on a 'maybe' when the sale of Clayton could recruit what I think most would regard as the best player in that role in this league.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Ah but Preston now without the manager I expect that interest is cooled.

Why buy a new forward though? We have many and havn't been struggling through a lack of goals!

Hmmm, I wonder whether not selling CF will come back to haunt us? We had a similiar situation with Aaron Brown a few years back. I seem to remember WBA offering pretty decent money for him which we turned down. Since then, how many truly great performances did AB put in? Not many, and where is he now (actually, seriously, where is he now??). How much were Preston willing to part with?

Hmmm, I wonder whether not selling CF will come back to haunt us?  We had a similiar situation with Aaron Brown a few years back.  I seem to remember WBA offering pretty decent money for him which we turned down.  Since then, how many truly great performances did AB put in?  Not many, and where is he now (actually, seriously, where is he now??).  How much were Preston willing to part with?

Yes, I think The Baggies ofered us £600,000 for Aaron. In hindsight we should have bitten their hand off!

Archived