IGNORED

Sunderl...er, Southampton Review

BournemouthRed

City were outclassed at Ashton Gate as Southampton coasted into round 3 of the Carling Cup.

City started brightly but never created any clear-cut chances - instead relying on hopeful long-range efforts; first Wilkshire then Roberts and Woodman tried their luck. Woodman whipped in a wicked ball from the left which Peacock headed in superbly - but he was clearly offside.

Southampton looked classy in possession and although City's hustle and bustle was proving a match for them, it always seemed one lapse in concentration would see Southampton in on goal.

So it proved. After Phillips had turned a rasping drive to one side, the inevitable happened. Saints were allowed acres of space down City's right and Delap floated in a lovely ball which Beattie controlled brilliantly and lashed into the bottom corner with the goal at his mercy. It was against the run of play but it always looked likely - Southampton were showing their Premier League quality.

The South Coast club shut up shop superbly and City never had a sniff as the first half petered out in something of a whimper - only a long-range effort from the excellent Tinnion offering any threat to Niemi's goal.

City began with renewed vigour after half time with Butler wasting a golden opportunity from a glorious Tinnion corner. Peacock wasted an even better chance shortly afterwards following good work between Tinnion and Amankwaah - the big Scot blasted over from 10 yards out.

And then it was all over. Phillips strayed off his line to collect an up and under but didn't shout loudly enough. Butler headed the ball straight to Ormerod who had a simple task to score in an open net. That was game over with City struggling to make any inroads into the miserly Saints' defence - Phillips was called upon again to make a good save from Ormerod.

Lita was introduced for the ineffective Roberts, Hulbert - bizarrely, was introduced for Wilkshire and Wilson's final masterstroke was to withdraw the dangerous Amankwaah for Miller. Work that one out then.

Le Saux capped a fine Southampton display on full time with a deflected free-kick which saw wrong-footed Phillips well and truly caught out. Three-nil was a little harsh but no-one could argue they didn't deserve their victory.

Ratings:

Phillips 7 - Despite his hideous error, he made two excellent saves to keep the score down.

Woodman 6 - Tried his hardest but couldn't cope with Fernandes' trickery in the first half. A little lost positionally. Better going forward though and showed some signs of promise - as well as his inexperience.

Hill 6 - Shoddy distribution in the rain but coped fairly well with defensive duties.

Butler 6 - Not as cruelly exposed by the excellent Beattie as he might have been. Should've netted with a free header.

Coles 7 - Although he technically made more mistakes than the other defenders, it was because it was him who was always there to make them. Ready and willing to test himself against Beattie and didn't come off too badly - although possibly to blame for the first goal.

Amankwaah 6 - A threat going forward when linking with Tinnion. Hit and miss but showed promise.

Tinnion 9 - MOTM. Ran the show as far as City were concerned. All attacking moves went through him and he never stopped running.

Burnell 7 - Ran hard in midfield and has definitely gained some attacking impetus since I saw him last.

Wilkshire 6 - Seems happier in central midfield and while he never threatened consistently, he had a decent game.

Peacock 7 - Battled hard up from but suffered from severe lack of service.

Roberts 6 - Some decent runs when he was interested enough to make them.

Lita 6 - Busy when on.

Hulbert 6 - Useful outing in central midfield.

Miller N/A - Late introduction.

Despite the result City actually played quite well - there were some encouraging signs and the 3-5-2 formation seems to work well - allowing Tinnion and Wilkshire space in central midfield. The problem remains the lack of any real cutting edge - rarely did City create a clear-cut chance and when one came it was usually from a Tinnion-influenced move.

Two sloppy pieces of defending led to two goals conceded - at Premier League level you cannot afford people these opportunities; Beattie was superb throughout and scored a cracking goal.

A very good-sized crowd means some valuable revenue and now we're out of it we can concentrate on the league! :(

Thats who i would of thought, but just checking, I'm sure they didnt say...

OMG, I'm turning into butler, not hearing things.  :(

Well deserved MOTM to Tinnion  :D

they did say!

Also, I heard Phillips from the top of the Dolman! One of the loudest shouts ever surely, personally I thought Butler was atrocious today.

Cheers for report bish, have been missed.

Yes reasonably fair assessment of the match, I thought City showed some good touches but yet again they are let down by two things; poor finishing and poor defending.

Butler had a shocker, I was sat in the Williams by the halfway line and heard Phillips' shout quite clearly, so Butler ignores it as heads it into Ormerod's path who finished coolly. He also should have scored with a free header at 0-1.

I thought Burnell had his best game by miles after a shaky start, and Woodman played well too apart from a nervous opening 20.

Peacock was neutralised effectively and apart from the pace of Amankwaah and Roberts (which DW deat with in his usual fashion by subbing both) we never looked like getting at the Saints' defence.

Tinnion showed he should have played at a higher level; his passing was on a par with the Premier League players. Coles too showed mostly that he's a player for that stage but he was at fault for the first goal.

And to the third goal. How many more times have we got to suffer a poorly organised wall at a free-kick? It was dreadful. Phillips must take responsibility for this and previous free-kick errors. However Lita and Tinnion should hang their heads for splitting and letting the ball through.

Lastly, I think 3-5-2 is the best formation for City and the 4-4-2 should be s####ped.

• Admin

I heard Phillips' shout from the top of H Block in the Atyeo so can't understand why Butler a couple of metres away couldn't hear it. On top of that, aren't you taught as a schoolkid never to play the ball back into your own danger area? Butler made a positive attempt to head it towards the centre rather than towards the touchline, perhaps we wouldn't have been punished for BUTLER'S error if he'd headed it towards touch rather than the centre?

Bit harsh to dock Phillips a mark for Butler making a mistake :(

sorry but i think some of those ratings are a bit harsh! I would give Hill 7 for being the most solid out of all our defenders. Think the 6 for Woodman was harsh. I would give him 8. Also think Burnell had a great game and that was the best I have seen Wilkshire play as I was not at Notts county.

Woodman 6 - Tried his hardest but couldn't cope with Fernandes' trickery in the first half. A little lost positionally. Better going forward though and showed some signs of promise - as well as his inexperience.

6! What game were you watching, he was our best player (apart from tinman) definate to start saturday!

Guest Bootylicious

Have to agree with the above posters, Andy! Your ratings are a little harsh.

Woodman had a very steady, if unspectacular game. However, he does have one hell of a cross on him, as we witnessed last night (and Saturday). Just needs to utilise it more often! He seems to be growing in confidence and I'm more than happy to have him replacing Bell.

Wiilkshire had his best game since Notts County. He appeared to be 'up for it'. Chased and closed down Soton players (esp first half) and i even saw him tackling!

What are ratings though, eh?!

The point about last night's Wilkshire performance was that he was in the middle alongside Tins and Joe, and not out wide. The fact is, and its something blindingly obvious, that Luke is NOT a wide player. I really hope DW has cottoned onto this at last. I get tired repeating this fact, only to be frustrated when i see him yet again out wide.

The point about last night's Wilkshire performance was that he was in the middle alongside Tins and Joe, and not out wide. The fact is, and its something blindingly obvious, that Luke is NOT a wide player. I really hope DW has cottoned onto this at last. I get tired repeating this fact, only to be frustrated when i see him yet again out wide.

Archived