IGNORED

One Season Wonders

Pie Eater

Reading one of the threads on here it mentioned Vegard Hassen. In his first season he was voted player of the season before loosing form and returning to norway. I was wondering who was your one season wonder.

edit grammer :)

Guest lugger22

Godridge was class but his award would be for best debut ever, I very nearly got his name on the back of a shirt based purely on that performance - fortunately I regained my senses and he turned out to be a bag of cr@p!

Godridge was class but his award would be for best debut ever, I very nearly got his name on the back of a shirt based purely on that performance - fortunately I regained my senses and he turned out to be a bag of cr@p!

yeah an absolute sensational debut that was 5-2 we won against luton i beleive!

Take that back you horrible person! Greg was the best player ever seen at the Gate!

Guest simmos the gaffer

Ralph Milne!!! Absolutely superb on his debut scoring one and making another. Did eff-all after that but was good enough for Manu to make us a stupid offer. I think their scout must have been the same guy who recommended Nicky Tanner to Liverpool!!!!

:grr:

It is interesting that some players start well then fizzle out or the opposite where they take a year or so to settle then start to perform.

I hope that latter applies to Miller and Whilkshire.

Adam Lock - he was outstanding in John Wards promo team and made the PFA div team of the year, was in Tinmans best city 11 that he had played with.

I think we would not meet his wage demand and he buggered off to be never heard of again. But it was worse for us as the defence was pants the following year and we want start back down - or is my memory shot from too much cider???

Agreed, Goodridge could hit a corner flag from anywhere. Pure class.

I remember John Shaw doing that in a night game against Man City at the Gate. He kicked the ball from the Eastend up field and the ball hit the corner flag between the Dolman stand & The open end (now the Atyeo). The ball remained in play It was class watching all the players relise what had happend and run like mad to be the first to the ball :grr::city: .

Soren Anderson surely has to be a contender - not that i think he even made half a seaosn really but my god did he make an impact when he arrived

His strike partner deserves a mention,..... Ade Akinbuyi, awesome during our last stint in Div1 (Coca Cola Championship :grr: )

How many did he score that season ???

Going go back a bit, to the old first division! Reckon Joe Royle must be in with a shout for this title. Scored 4 on his debut against 'Boro, then slowly faded as the season went on. I seem to recall that he actually packed in before the end of the season as he was tired out!! Those were the days!

Guest Spunkwood
Going go back a bit, to the old first division! Reckon Joe Royle must be in with a shout for this title. Scored 4 on his debut against 'Boro, then slowly faded as the season went on. I seem to recall that he actually packed in before the end of the season as he was tired out!! Those were the days!

he's now at Fulham mate :grr:

Anyone remember Mark Hughes (no, not that one!)? He was outstanding in his debut season which, having referred to my Bristol Babe book, was the 84/85 season (which makes me feel old and sad). He was being tipped for Welsh honours. After finishing 5th in the table and playing alongside Keith Curle, Rob Newman and Andy Llewellyn we had high hopes for an impregnable defence at the start of the next season.

The season started with us conceding 3 at home to Walsall and the next game we conceded 5 at Bournemouth. Hughesy must have spent the summer in a pie shop. That game at Bournemouth long sticks in the memory. Shock soon turned to laughter as Hughesy looked like a weeble (for you young 'uns, that something that used to wobble but not fall down), or more precisely, like a really fat bloke who'd never kicked a football in his life.

Harsh? Not sure. Anyone else remember that match? He was quickly bombed from the team and resurrected his career for a while with the Trannies I recall.

Archived