IGNORED

Saturday And Jamie Smith.

Bow_Legged_Chicken

Saturday for me was just as encouraging as what a 3-0 victory would have been. Last season we played some fantastic football and won 2, 3-0. However we did not grind out enough wins from games like Satrudays.

Peterborough are known for playing crap football and we did so well grinding out a win against them, I can honestly say under Wilson he could not of got any team to grind out a win as well as we did.

We didn't play great football and it wasn't the most entertaining game but how we ground outt he result for me was fantasic and now I have seen we can play quality football and win 4-1 as well as grind out results it has boosted my confidence a hell of a lot.

I would also just like to have a word for Jamie Smith I think the kid is one of the best signings we have made for a long time. I just can't fault the guy. He doesn't ponce about backing away he gets stuck straight in and gets the job done and out of the way. Hes a fantastic player and with Matt Hill getting better and better at left back I think that it will become very soon if not already is a stronger back line than we had last season by a mile.

Just little touch ups in the midfield and attack and we are off and away. Wilkshire has done wonders for our midfield and has given it that extra bite. When Tommy gets back I'm sure our midfield will be one of the best in the division.

I think we ground out a lot of wins last season. During our 11 straight wins only 3 were by more than one goal- and of those 3 only 1 was really easy- Bouremouth. The 3-1 win over Brenford was only 1-1 with 2 minutes to go and the 4-0 victory over Chesterfield was only 1-0 with 5 minutes to go.

But you are right, we did it again on Saturday and that was all important. There are 3 points for a win whether it be 1-0 or 4-0. BUT last season did prove two things- firstly we need to kill games off- we relied too much on last minute goals. Fine when they do come (Hartlepool etc) but you suffer when they don't (Sheff Weds, PO final etc). If 1-0 we need to kill off games. One slip, poor decision by the ref, moment of magic by them yesterday and we've cost ourselves 2 points. We can't win 3-0 every week- but we need to make sure we don't rely on 1 goal every week as well.

As for Smith- I think you're right in as much as he is a great acquisition. He does however need to calm down the tackles a bit (the aggression in his game is fine but he can't afford to give away many more pens etc) and his distribution still needs to be sharper. I think both will come as he settles down further into the squad and I look forward to him being a crucial part of our campaign this season.

Percy, we ground out results last season because that's the way Wilson played them; during that famous 11 win sequence City played rubbish for most of the time and it was only because they played kack teams they managed to win, but at no time did they really look as though they were going to win convincingly.

i have got to say for somebody who broke his leg quite badly a few years back i love the way when he tackles the player always know's he has been tackled!!!

GO ON JAMIE!!!! :@

Archived