IGNORED

Evening Post

Desso

The talk of a multiuse (City, that other lot and greyhounds) stadium has reared its ugly head again tonight.

I suppose any proposed plans for a revamped Ashton gate will go on the backburner yet again!

When will these developers finally get it into their heads that the crap council that we have been lumbered with have no intention of helping sport in the area one iota. There is more chance of Roberts and Miller scoring in the same game.

Umm sorry. Perhaps we will get a stadium. :city:

No, you were right in the first place. Our forward looking council have as much intention of helping build a decent stadium as I have of buying a season ticket at The Gas

How much outcry do you think there would be from non football/sport fans in the city if the council used council tax money to support a new stadium (and let's face it there are many more of them than there are football fans)? Hull Council were investigated for their part in funding the new stadium in Hull. In terms of financial support from the council it just isn't going to happen for very good reasons.

However, in terms of helping to find a site and supporting the planning process then there is certainly more the council could and should do.

Why not have a drastic increase of the usage of Ashton Gate for other functions when City aren't playing? surely it can't be *that* expensive to cover the pitch and provide some jobsworths for security/safety, right? Especially with the increased return.

What am I saying- they won't even open 1/4 of the stadium for a cup game because of not wanting to get aforementioned security for fear of falling short of a few quid. Not as if the mgmt's going to live in a cardboard box if we lose to Peterbro, right?

Tins, on the other hand... :city:

Why not have a drastic increase of the usage of Ashton Gate for other functions when City aren't playing? surely it can't be *that* expensive to cover the pitch and provide some jobsworths for security/safety, right? Especially with the increased return.

What am I saying- they won't even open 1/4 of the stadium for a cup game because of not wanting to get aforementioned security for fear of falling short of a few quid. Not as if the mgmt's going to live in a cardboard box if we lose to Peterbro, right?

Tins, on the other hand... :city:

I thought that they have already drastically increased the non football usage, and this is in a very competitive market. They may have a bit of a monopoly for sporting events and large scale music events but the market is quite developed in the confrencing, banqueting and catering sector in Bristol.

I thought that the club is investing money in the Dolman stand to make it a nicer facility to attract more business.

I think it's quite easy to say why don't they but to actually generate the business does take a bit of hard work.

Oh and what's wrong with shutting down a stand for a game that will be less that a quarter full? At least then the fans will sit within sight of each other rather than being spread out.

How much outcry do you think there would be from non football/sport fans in the city if the council used council tax money to support a new stadium (and let's face it there are many more of them than there are football fans)?  Hull Council were investigated for their part in funding the new stadium in Hull.  In terms of financial support from the council it just isn't going to happen for very good reasons.

However, in terms of helping to find a site and supporting the planning process then there is certainly more the council could and should do.

I live in Ashton Vale and they have no hesitation putting a traveller site right by my house which is to be used 24/7 but they are happy to fund the support on that.

A football stadium is used on an afternoon or evening per week or even stretching to twice a week, whoopy firkin dooo!!!

I will not be voting for Lib Dems or Labour in the next election for the way they treat people, one rule for one and one rule for another and they're excuse will be traffic. Well what about a few thousand homes at risk.

MM

I will not be voting for Lib Dems or Labour in the next election for the way they treat people, one rule for one and one rule for another and they're excuse will be traffic.  Well what about a few thousand homes at risk.

MM

I would not vote Lib Dems or Labour full stop, let alone for how they treat people, but thats an entirely different discussion.

I am not fussed where City play, i would prefer them to re-do Ashton Gate, they could their home games at Twerton Park, and i'd still go to it.

I live in Ashton Vale and they have no hesitation putting a traveller site right by my house which is to be used 24/7 but they are happy to fund the support on that. 

A football stadium is used on an afternoon or evening per week or even stretching to twice a week, whoopy firkin dooo!!!

I will not be voting for Lib Dems or Labour in the next election for the way they treat people, one rule for one and one rule for another and they're excuse will be traffic.  Well what about a few thousand homes at risk.

MM

And ,like the Tories would be any different!

Council's have a duty by law to provide travellers sites, sadly the same is not true of football stadia!

I would sincerely hope that any new or redeveloped stadium would be used far more than that, otherwise what a waste of an expensive new facility, whoever pays for it.

Lost me completely on that argument - but how about voting Green!

Council's have a duty by law to provide travellers sites, sadly the same is not true of football stadia!

This is true but there is a huge site at Avonmouth for around 25 travellers that is hardly being used.

I would sincerely hope that any new or redeveloped stadium would be used far more than that, otherwise what a waste of an expensive new facility, whoever pays for it.

I was referring to traffic problems.  I didn't word that very well.  I understand there will be conference facilities etc... but the council always seem to use the traffic as an excuse.

Lost me completely on that argument - but how about voting Green!

Lib Dems and Labour are for the site. Voting Green is a good option right now trust me.

Over all I would prefer to stay at Ashton Gate and see that developed into a football stadium worthy of Premiership football as well as full Internationals.  But when our council cannot decide where to put a football stadium or even a sports facitily it winds me up when it's easy to stick a travellers site right next to a residential area so easily.

MM

If we could get the funding for a new stadium that isn't at the Ashton Gate venue and still have ownership of it then I would like to move.

Ashton Gate always seems crowded with a lack of parking facilities. If we were to redevlope it surely then it would take up space and make the outside even more packed and the parking even more restricted. Also I hear its on very expensive land so to redevelope it would cost quite a lot. However if we were to sell the land andmove to a cheaper area to build on then that would fund the new stadium quite a bit and therefore reducing the money we have to raise dramatically.

Ashton Gate has so much history and it would be sad to leave, but if practicalities for the future makes moving away a better idea for the football club then you quite simply you have to accept it and move on.

I'm not too sure how much it would cost on that new Temple Quarter quite a lot I would imagine. Though the easy access to the train station, many many more bus routes going near by and being so close to town would make it very practical.

I'm sure the club have to look into every single detail and them being the professionals I'm sure they will make the most informed choice for what is the best for the club. Whatever it is in this situation I will trust them on, as long as at the end of the day we have a nice new redeveloped stadium THAT WE OWN SOLELY.

This is true but there is a huge site at Avonmouth for around 25 travellers that is hardly being used.

Yes but that is a transit site - not for permanent use, the other site proposed was for a permanent site, and was on a site previously owned and used by a group of travellers for over 25 years! As I recall, if the council does not provide a permanent site it is unable to use the law to move on travellers from unauthorised encampments. So finding a permanent site was pretty crucial and (a bit like a stadium) many sites have been proposed but for some reason have never happened. Therefore, if a group of travellers decide to park up in your road, or at the end of your street, the council cannot make them move!

I was referring to traffic problems.  I didn't word that very well.  I understand there will be conference facilities etc... but the council always seem to use the traffic as an excuse.

oh, yes take your point, although I believe the current head of traffic and transport at the council will soon be leaving. Maybe that will help change attitudes to development. Although it is not only the council that uses traffic as an excuse, residents close to proposed developments do too - remember the proposal for a stadium on Hengrove?

Lib Dems and Labour are for the site. Voting Green is a good option right now trust me.

Well again, I'd agree with you there, although not for the above reasons.

Archived