IGNORED

Dw & Sl In Unison

RedUn

The chairman's contemporaneous comments on the radio yesterday and the manager's words here are as one in pinpointing our problems in front of goal. The only things I'd disagree with is the idea that it is a slight problem in recent weeks because it is the major weakness that has been running like a constant thread through this season.

In a nutshell, only five teams have had more efforts on goal than we have this season and only eight have scored fewer goals ...

* Have the likes of Luton, Stockport, Oldham, Brentford, Barnsley, Wycombe, etc achieved a better shots to goal ratio than us by playing fantasy football?

* Do their managers field exactly the team the forum and radio phone-in experts say they should for 90 minutes of every match?

* Or do their players, especially forwards, care less about carving out goal-of-the-season and more about stuffing the ball into the net or die in the attempt? (The goals we concede are invariably s####py - how come we never score goals like them, especially from set pieces?)

For me it boils down to leadership of the line and the fact that the junior partner of a forward pairing needs a master of at least one of the forward's crafts that he can play off. I'm afraid that Lee Peacock, our senior striker, is more in the Jack-of-all-trades category - not particularly strong, not particularly quick and not particularly skillful - who, despite being of prime age and looking the part in early season, cannot be seen as the week-in, week-out foundation stone required for a promotion team.

Whilst the stock of Miller and Lita is rising in line with their undoubted potential it would be asking a lot of two rookies to carry us through to glory in May; so to my mind the solution remains to beg, steal or borrow a class act up-front and pronto!

I agree, RedUn.

Wilson sees Peacock as his senior striker and, as such, seems to think it vital that he is on the pitch whenever possible (regardless of the fact we thwacked Brighton without him).

However, a team will, in the main be a reflection of its manager's demeanour, which is why I find these quotes from Wilson so telling:

"(It's about) making things happen basically - not just sitting there and waiting for things to happen for us."

"What I'd say is 'just have a go and see what happens' because you never, never know."

It sounds like a team in the manager's image to me. To be fair, Wilson 'stands' there waiting for things to happen instead of making them happen, but the point still holds good.

Lita's substitution was symptomatic of the above mindset within the squad which has filtered down from the management.

I would say:

Danny, rather than standing there waiting for things to happen, try making them happen. How about leaving Miller on and replacing Peacock with Lita earlier in a game. Go on, have a go, because you never, never know.

so to my mind the solution remains to beg, steal or borrow a class act up-front and pronto!

Why would they be interested in what you think? Are you suggesting they should be listening to the opinions of experts on a forum?

Peacock - Wilson's player

Roberts - Wilson's player

Miller - Wilson's player

Lita - Wilson's player

Matthews - Wilson's player

Why should he be given yet more resources to spend on players that he believes aren't up to the task? This is his team and if the players aren't up to the job he should take responsisbilty for that not just keep throwing the kind of money at players that other 2nd division managers can only dream of.

The rookie argument doesn't wash with this 'expert' either. Miller is a £300,000 proven goalscorer and Lita is an enthusiastic, energetic prodigy itching for the chance to show what he can do. Rooney and Owen were once rookies but made an impact very quickly, indeed every single player in the World was once a rookie that a manager had the balls to take a chance on.

To my mind, this quote sums it up. The words of an increasingly desperate man. "We are coming up against inspired goalkeepers or terrific defenders, it seems to be an ongoing thing at this moment in time."

<br /> Why would they be interested in what you think? Are you suggesting they should be listening to the opinions of experts on a forum?

It falls to them to make the decisions but I imagine they'd have an interest in any shade of supporter opinion that was expressed in reasoned language, i.e. devoid of sarcasm, abuse and bombast (which lets down so many of the fans' contributions I was thinking of).

Guest Harry May

The comments about trying to score the goal of the season , or walking the ball into the net are spot on. And the comments about us conceeding s####py goals are also spot on.

How many s####py goals or goal mouth scrambles do WE score ? Not many . Whether the ball goes into the net from a 30 yarder or off the a55 of a defender , it does n't make a difference - they all count. Our strikers need to be far more aggresive and prepared to get hurt for the cause . We do n't need Michael Owen .

Remember Steve Torpey ( at Grimsby I think ) that's the level of commitment we need.

Not players ( who we paid £600 k for ) ambling back from off-side positions with their hands in the air.

Caldicot Red.

Archived