IGNORED

2005 Bcfc Academy 1/2 Marathon

GeoffA

I must admit I had the same concerns initially......

potential sponsor: what charity are you running for?

Me: Bristol City's Football academy

potential sponsor: I'm not putting money into them

My thoughts exactly Riazzi.

While we know the academy and the football club are separate, 'the man in the street' will simple see BCFC and, I suspect, be reluctant to give money to a football club.

I think you will find that by running solely for the academy you will limit the teams sponsors to those who support and watch City.

I think that it's a fair point & I respect the opinion of anyone that would object to the principle of raising money for this cause.

Without doubt we would find it difficult to raise huge amounts for the Academy but anything is better than nothing & at the same time maybe we can also raise the profile of the Academy & try to highlight to all that is good about it.

I think that it's a fair point & I respect the opinion of anyone that would object to the principle of raising money for this cause.

Without doubt we would find it difficult to raise huge amounts for the Academy but anything is better than nothing & at the same time maybe we can also raise the profile of the Academy & try to highlight to all that is good about it.

Doesn't the club have an adopted charity each season? Perhaps that would be the way of accommodating Jacs' idea? (Geoff, fair to say I'm not all that clued-up on exactly how the academies are funded but, as you say, whatever "City Fans in Action" can raise will be put to good use - a question for the SteveL forum?)

I don't object as such to fund rasing for the academy, I just think you will have a hard time convincing members of the public that it is a worth while cause.

If you tie it in with rasing money for a recognised charity, I just think that a lot more would be raised.

I am interested in running but have a problem in solely raising money for the academy.

As worth while as it is in footballing terms, there are many other charities out there desperate for funds.

I think that while most members of the public are happy to sponsor you for a recognised charity, few would be happy to sponsor you in support of a football club.

Can I suggest that the forum teams gives 50% of the money raised to the academy and 50% to a nominated charity? I believe that this will result in A.  a lot more sponsorship money coming in & B. more people being willing to participate.

:D

I fully agree with this. If the team ran with a dual cause (50/50 split) it is likely to raise more than twice the money it would raise if it was just for the academy. Also, I would personally have a clearer conscience tapping people up for money and would do it with more gusto.

Is the academy a registered charity?

We now have two teams & seven subs !

In alpha order they are:

Barman

BCFC Matt

Bootylicious

city nut

City since 64

crumbs

Dave L

dazza247

Flounder

Geoff A

Jacs

Madger

Martyn H (well_red)

Mick (if Knees get fixed)*

Milo

Paul Gooding

pedro

Percy Parrot

RedsOnTour

Riazzi G

Roadrunner

Saab Driver

Scott D

Spud55

stucider

Terpin

The Clevedon and Romford Vessel

TomF

wesco

Crumbs, I will find out the age limit & let you know

Tompo, that's brilliant, if you could prepare a couple of schedules for say:

Absolute beginners

Not quite beginners

& possibly more importantly things to watch out for (injuries etc)

TomF & me are in the process of creating a web site (BCFC Runners it will come up with BCTV at the moment though) & we plan to have a few get togethers in the new year to sort stuff out

Thanks again

I think that its a great idea, most people probably won't start training until March/April though. I haven't stopped training since the last 1/2 marathon so I'd be up for it anytime.

If I could drag Tom away from the forum for a few minutes then maybe we could get the bcfcrunners web site of the ground & start to co-ordinate things a bit.

Provisionally how about having a pre xmas get together in a pub somewhere & we could get lashed & talk football all night !!, stick your names down if your interested

I think that its a great idea, most people probably won't start training until March/April though. I haven't stopped training since the last 1/2 marathon so I'd be up for it anytime.

If I could drag Tom away from the forum for a few minutes then maybe we could get the bcfcrunners web site of the ground & start to co-ordinate things a bit.

Provisionally how about having a pre xmas get together in a pub somewhere & we could get lashed & talk football all night !!, stick your names down if your interested

Doubt if I will be running the half but happy to come along and talk training. Oh and have a few beers.

Bizarrely, for some strange reason drinking (in moderation) can be a help in training. Even more bizarrely, running improves your ability to drink.

Its about time we bumped this post ;)

Yep, Tompo's build-up programme for complete newbies (as I now am) starts next month so we need to get our thinking heads on. Knee-wise I played squash for the first time in 15 years last Sunday ... I was able to walk normally again as early as Thursday!

TomF & me were talking last week about the fact that we need to start getting organised & I noticed that the applications are due out at the end of the month

Here's a link to the official site:

Official Bristol 1/2 site

I'll make a point of getting the www.bcfcrunners.co.uk web site up & running & to start posting some info up there about it.

Geoff

Guest bcfccider
We now have two teams & seven subs !

In alpha order they are:

Barman

BCFC Matt

Bootylicious

city nut

City since 64

crumbs

Dave L

dazza247

Flounder

Geoff A

Jacs

Madger

Martyn H (well_red)

Milo

Paul Gooding

pedro

Percy Parrot

RedsOnTour

Riazzi G

Roadrunner

Saab Driver

Scott D

Spud55

stucider

Terpin

TomF

wesco

Crumbs, I will find out the age limit & let you know

Please add me to the list - bcfccider

Ok done, Latest list is : (+ a few other ringers)

Barman

bcfccider

BCFC Matt

Bootylicious

city nut

City since 64

crumbs

Dave L

dazza247

Flounder

Geoff A

Jacs

Madger

Martyn H (well_red)

Milo

Paul Gooding

pedro

Percy Parrot

RedsOnTour

Riazzi G

Roadrunner

Saab Driver

Scott D

Spud55

stucider

Terpin

TomF

wesco

• Admin
Ok done, Latest list is : (+ a few other ringers)

Barman

bcfccider

BCFC Matt

Bootylicious

city nut

City since 64

crumbs

Dave L

dazza247

Flounder

Geoff A

Jacs

Madger

Martyn H (well_red)

Milo

Paul Gooding

pedro

Percy Parrot

RedsOnTour

Riazzi G

Roadrunner

Saab Driver

Scott D

Spud55

stucider

Terpin

TomF

wesco

Woah there....when did I volunteer to run ;);)

Guest bcfccider

Is the Gate Post still sent to 30-40000 fans/causal fans/people have purchased tickets/or gone to the Play Off Final? Surely a sponsorship form could be added to the Gate Post asking for donations. These people would surely not object to donating to the Academy.

The form could also be on this website and links added to e-mail and text alerts messages added to Sponsors could even get some kind of reward from the club. Higher priority on tickets for example.

Each runner could also nominate their own charity if they wish. My wife works for CLIC so my money will go there also.

Just some thoughts....

Archived