IGNORED

Reserves Last Night

Dave L

City had lots of possession in this game, but posed very little threat up front. In fact, this was a game of two defences: City's slipshod and disorganised - disappointing given the pedigree of some of those involved - Plymouth's experienced and physical.

The one bright spark in the City back four was Kevin Amankwaah. Strong in the tackle and looking skilful and fast when he made some of those trademark runs along the right wing. It's surely only a matter of time before he's pushing for a return to first team action. Unfortunately the rest of the defence weren't quite at the races yesterday. Sekani Simpson looked comfortable on the ball, but equally comfortable giving it away on occasion. Along side him, Clayton Fortune looked half asleep and didn't dominate in the air for such a tall man.

On the left Craig Woodman was reasonably solid at the back, but increasingly found himself running out of options when he tried to get forward. This may have been due to the lack of another left sided player to support him on the flank. Scott Brown played there, presumably in an attempt to echo the role Luke Wilkshire undertakes in the first team. He hustled and bustled well, and released a couple of good long passes, but his physical energy and presence might have been better used more centrally, where Cole Skuse and Scott Golbourne had tidy but ineffectual games, often losing out against their older and more physical opponents as the game continued. On the right, Joe Anyinsah looked tricky and skilful in the first half, but faded badly in the second.

Up front, Lee Miller worked his socks off as he always does, but got little change from two very experienced and tough centre backs. He won a few flick ons in the first half, but hardly anything in the second as he looked increasingly isolated and frustrated at the battering he was receiving from his rugged (and excellent) marker. Steve Gillespie had to go off after 12 minutes after losing a tooth in a collison with a defender, and was replaced by Dave Cotterill, who continued to show what a fine young player he is. Very strong for a 16 year old, and confident too. He scored a cracking goal .

I'm not too bothered about the result, but I felt we should have created more scoring opportunities. There did seem to be a lack of strength and creativity in midfield, and if two out of Doherty, Tinnion and Wilkshire were to suddenly pick up injuries, it's difficult to see how that could be replaced by what was on show last night. Let's hope Ryan Harley recovers from his virus soon, and that the Wellens deal isn't dead in the water.

Oh, and I had a very nice steak and kidney pie.

City had lots of possession in this game, but posed very little threat up front. In fact, this was a game of two defences: City's slipshod and disorganised  - disappointing given the pedigree of some of those involved - Plymouth's experienced and physical.

The one bright spark in the City back four was Kevin Amankwaah. Strong in the tackle and looking skilful and fast when he made some of those trademark runs along the right wing. It's surely only a matter of time before he's pushing for a return to first team action. Unfortunately the rest of the defence weren't quite at the races yesterday. Sekani Simpson looked comfortable on the ball, but equally comfortable giving it away on occasion. Along side him, Clayton Fortune looked half asleep and didn't dominate in the air for such a tall man.

On the left Craig Woodman was reasonably solid at the back, but increasingly found himself running out of options when he tried to get forward. This may have been due to the lack of another left sided player to support him on the flank. Scott Brown played there, presumably in an attempt to echo the role Luke Wilkshire undertakes in the first team. He hustled and bustled well, and released a couple of good long passes, but his physical energy and presence might have been better used more centrally, where Cole Skuse and Scott Golbourne had tidy but ineffectual games, often losing out against their older and more physical opponents as the game continued. On the right, Joe Anyinsah looked tricky and skilful in the first half, but faded badly in the second.

Up front, Lee Miller worked his socks off as he always does, but got little change from two very experienced and tough centre backs. He won a few flick ons in the first half, but hardly anything in the second as he looked increasingly isolated and frustrated at the battering he was receiving from his rugged (and excellent) marker. Steve Gillespie had to go off after 12 minutes after losing a tooth in a collison with a defender, and was replaced by Dave Cotterill, who continued to show what a fine young player he is. Very strong for a 16 year old, and confident too. He scored a cracking goal .

I'm not too bothered about the result, but I felt we should have created more scoring opportunities. There did seem to be a lack of strength and creativity in midfield, and if two out of Doherty, Tinnion and Wilkshire were to suddenly pick up injuries, it's difficult to see how that could be replaced by what was on show last night. Let's hope Ryan Harley recovers from his virus soon, and that the Wellens deal isn't dead in the water.

Oh, and I had a very nice steak and kidney pie.

Thanks for that Dave.

From reading the main site it sounded like Lee had a nightmare game, yet when I spoke to him last night he did not give me that impression.

Obviously he was annoyed at getting beaten, and that he did not manage to score, but he was pleased at how his shin held up after his injury, felt he worked hard, and had only his usual physical complaint - that he ached all over, from being hacked.

Just goes to show :D

Joy

Cheers for that Dave, nice report.

I think one of the biggest dissapointments for me so far this season is Clayton

Fortune. I really thought he would kick on this season and be involved

in a high percentage of first team games. He doesn't seem to have got

going yet. Perhaps i'm being too harsh and once he gets a run in the side,

and they also decide which is his best position, he will justify the big bid Preston put in for him.

Cheers for that Dave, nice report.

I think one of the biggest dissapointments for me so far this season is Clayton

Fortune. I really thought he would kick on this season and be involved

in a high percentage of first team games. He doesn't seem to have got

going yet. Perhaps i'm being too harsh and once he gets a run in the side,

and they also decide which is his best position, he will justify the big bid Preston put in for him.

In my opinion he is over-rated and this Patrick Vieira tag isnt helping

Guest Spunkwood
Thanks for that Dave.

From reading the main site it sounded like Lee had a nightmare game,  yet when I spoke to him last night he did not give me that impression.

Obviously he was annoyed at getting beaten, and that he did not manage to score, but he was pleased at how his shin held up after his injury, felt he worked hard, and had only his usual physical complaint - that he ached all over, from being hacked.

Just goes to show :D

Joy

Oh Granny, by the way I'm spunk hehehehehe well I love your choice of word HACKED such a glourious word :me?:

Archived