IGNORED

What A Dreadfull Start

openEnd

We are a whole 2 points a drift of our tally at this point last season. Remember last season? example 0-3 Wycombe? and from a manager with the best part of 4 years at the club.

Tinman has been allowed a whole 9 games! we have played some cracking stuff in the last 2 home games, far better than anything I saw at AG last season.

We are not going to win every week, learn to accept it and move on. Keep the faith.

We were promised promotion was the target this season, even with Tinnion at the helm.

I think ten losses in a season puts you out of automatic promotion.

At this moment in time, I can't see us not losing another six matches over the course of the season.

Therefore, we won't get promotion and the club sold season tickets on the back of a false promise.

Therefore, we won't get promotion and the club sold season tickets on the back of a false promise.

I purchased a season ticket for the 1st time this season - AFTER Danny Wilson was sacked. I imagined that under Tinnion we would at least see some attacking football, played in the right manner (along the floor), I however did not expect (would still like to see it!!) promotion would come this season.

my realistic view this season is that will will finish just outside the top six but come the end of the season playing the sort of football which the fans love to see, if we get promoted this time then great but I bought the ticket fully expecting not to !!.

I however did not expect (would still like to see it!!) promotion would come this season.

my realistic view this season is that will will finish just outside the top six

Regardless of what your own expectations were, the fact is the club announced that promotion was the target for Tinman.

I asked on the SteveL forum recently whether this had changed and he replied it was still the aim.

Regardless of what your own expectations were, the fact is the club announced that promotion was the target for Tinman.

I asked on the SteveL forum recently whether this had changed and he replied it was still the aim.

Do you expect SteveL to say anything different? Something like 'Come and pay £300 for a season ticket but we are not going for promotion?'. Commercial suicide. Surely you don't believe everything that is said, you have to make up your own mind. I don't feel misled one bit by the pre season hype. Did you also believe David Russe's 5 year plan?

Before the season I thought top 10 would be a good season. I have not been away yet, but the past couple of home games have filled me with a great deal of hope, perhaps we can sneak a play off spot. Which would be fantastic, not even Wilson the messiah :city: could manage that in his first year.

I also bought my season ticket on the back of Wilsons sacking. Absolutely no regrets for forking out the cash. So far I feel I have had more value for money than the whole of last season.

What did you expect him to say? That we were no longer interested in promotion?

Anyone who takes a clubs promise of promotion as gospel is being a fool to themselves

Where does this mysterious "You can't get promoted if you lose 10 games" statistic come from ? Getting promoted automatically depends on the results of other teams as well, I still predict auto promotion for us, Hull and Luton will not keep it up all season, we always start badly, last season we didnt really get going until Christmas ! A few wins and we will be in the top 6 - keep the faith.

Do you expect SteveL to say anything different? Something like 'Come and pay £300 for a season ticket but we are not going for promotion?'. Commercial suicide. Surely you don't believe everything that is said, you have to make up your own mind. I don't feel misled one bit by the pre season hype. Did you also believe David Russe's 5 year plan?

I'm not stupid, nor naive. Of course I expect him to make noises that we are aiming for promotion. My point is that we had a team on the verge of promotion. Lansdown also believed that by publicly saying that he expected promotion this year, and so did a lot of other people.

All of a sudden, we're now saying 'ah well, maybe not this year...' - when did it all change?

By raising their heads above the parapet on the promotion issue they have to expect to be shot at when things start going wrong.

Before the season I thought top 10 would be a good season.

Why? We were beaten play-off finalists last year, shouldn't we be looking at top 3 again?

So far I feel I have had more value for money than the whole of last season.

You're easily pleased then. Either that or you have a short memory. Yes we are playing good stuff in patches, but on this season's performance so far, I think we were more consistent under Wilson.

What did you expect him to say? That we were no longer interested in promotion?

Anyone who takes a clubs promise of promotion as gospel is being a fool to themselves

There are lots of things that could have been said in a positive light without actually implying that anyhting less than promotion would be viewed as failure.

If anything, I think the club were being a little naive themselves in thinking that Tinnion could provide promotion in his first season.

Where does this mysterious "You can't get promoted if you lose 10 games" statistic come from ?  Getting promoted automatically depends on the results of other teams as well, I still predict auto promotion for us, Hull and Luton will not keep it up all season, we always start badly, last season we didnt really get going until Christmas ! A few wins and we will be in the top 6 - keep the faith.

If you would care to check any league for any season, you are likely to find that, generally, the five or six clubs finishing at the top of the league have lost no more than ten games during the season.

Therefore statistically, in order to finish in a play-off place, we need to avoid losing more than ten games. We have now lost four and October is still two weeks away.

All of a sudden, we're now saying 'ah well, maybe not this year...' - when did it all change? 

Not changed for me, well it has, just not in that way. I am feeling the complete opposite, I am feeling more optimistic since the season started. Ok I haven't been to any away games yet.

Why?  We were beaten play-off finalists last year, shouldn't we be looking at top 3 again?

Simple. Because we have appointed an untried manager. Irrespective of the pre-season ticket sales hype from the club, I thought Tinman would probably need a season to find his feet before 'going for it'. Whether he'll be allowed that time remains to be seen.

Having said that, the last two home games have delivered far more entertaining and fluid performances than I originally expected, that's why I now think top 6 may be a possibility.

You're easily pleased then. Either that or you have a short memory.  Yes we are playing good stuff in patches, but on this season's performance so far, I think we were more consistent under Wilson.

Consistency? yeah I agree. Consistently failing to get promotion whilst boring the ass off everybody. Even if we don't go up this season I think we'll have been more entertained, so where's the harm in that? and what have we lost?

we won't get promotion and the club sold season tickets on the back of a false promise.

It's not a 'promise' though, is it. It's a goal, an ambition, a target but it most certainly is NOT a promise.

Ask Alex Ferguson where he expects Man Utd to finish this season and he'll tell you he expects them to finish top. Are you suggesting that, if they don't achieve it, he is guilty of issuing false promises too?

Every club has ambitions for the season. Crystal Palace and Norwich have a goal of avoiding relegation, Aston Villa and Newcastle probably have set a European place as their goal.

To label these things as 'promises' is, frankly, absurd sensationalism. You knew the squad and the manager when you bought your season ticket, I imagine, and you take your chances based on that knowledge.

I bought my season ticket at the 'early bird' price, as I felt it was worth gambling that we'd go up and I'd be watching First Division (as was) football for a bargain price. We didn't go up, but I won't be taking Danny Wilson to court for not delivering on his 'promise', as a result.

While we are in this division, promotion will be the aim every season. And it will continue to be the aim until it is mathematically impossible to achieve it.

It's not a 'promise' though, is it. It's a goal, an ambition, a target but it most certainly is NOT a promise.

I bought my season ticket at the 'early bird' price, as I felt it was worth gambling that we'd go up and I'd be watching First Division (as was) football for a bargain price. We didn't go up, but I won't be taking Danny Wilson to court for not delivering on his 'promise', as a result.

OK, fair point. Perhaps promise is too strong a word.

But whichever way I look at it, I feel a little deflated and cheated because, at the start of the season we were told that Tinnion was the man to get us up, and now - after a poor start - everyone seems to think "Well, he might need a season or two".

I seem to remember that one of the major arguments against sacking Wilson was that we didn't want to wait another 2 or 3 seasons in this league for a new manager to 'bed in'.

Yet now, because it's Tinnion, everyone seems to be happy to accept that.

Every club has ambitions for the season. Crystal Palace and Norwich have a goal of avoiding relegation

That may be their realistic goal, but every single team in the league has to be trying to win it, even if most know they won't.

We are definitely aiming to win promotion (and the league)

We have the squad to do it

If we don't, it's not the end of the world because it's Tinnion's first attempt. Wilson had 2 good goes at it with a squad he could call his own, Tinnion should have the same chance.

The moment Tinnion got the Managers'job at Ashton Gate, City were never going to get promoted automatically. Novice Managers take time to learn their trade - and, on the evidence of the performances I've seen this season, we'd only bounce back down anyway. The very best we can hope for is a play off place, but somehow I think a mid table finish is more likely. Next season? That depends on what happens during the latter half of this season. Lets get used to it now...City are going nowhere in season 2004/05.

Archived