IGNORED

Brian Clough Dies

ballwinningcentrehalf

from bbc.co.uk:

Legendary former Nottingham Forest and Derby County boss Brian Clough has died from stomach cancer at the age of 69.

Clough, who suffered ill-health for many years and had a liver transplant in 2003, died in Derby City hospital.

Clough took Forest to successive European Cups in 1979 and 1980, and also won successive League titles.

His eccentric approach became legendary but Clough was one of the most respected bosses in the game, bowing out of management in 1993.

Guest lydneyred

Just read this on the BBC sports website.

Can't believe it, knew he was a heavy drinker and that he had been in ill health but not that he had cancer.

One image that will also stand in my mind about him was during that pitch invasion and he smacked one of the fans on the pitch. Probably the only manager to be able to do something like that and get away with it.

I know that Notts Forest will more than likely hold a minutes silence against West Ham at their next home game, and I sincerely hope that other teams that he managed such as Leeds do the same.

I was fortunate enough to be in University in Nottingham at a time that coincided with Brian Clough's time as manager of Nottingham Forest.

I spent several afternoons, when I should have been studying, watching Forest train, with Cloughie on the sidelines.

He was always friendly, approachable and amusing and his character was a tremendous asset to football. He had no airs or graces and wouldn't accept players with egos.

A sad loss indeed.

[One image that will also stand in my mind about him was during that pitch invasion and he smacked one of the fans on the pitch. Probably the only manager to be able to do something like that and get away with it.]

I remember that and like you said no other manager could get away with something like that, it was part of his character that made him a true legend of the game.

Condolences to his family.

Guest bristolbred

Brian Clough,

The BEST manager that England never had!!!, :sad21: :sad56:

And the BEST manager never to recieve a knighthood!!!, :speechless3: :speechless20: :speechless3:

You'll always be a hero in my heart, god bless. :ph34r:

Archived