IGNORED

Professional Athletes?

Aussiedoyle

I recently read with some dismay about our club captain smoking. I like my father and younger brother follow from afar in Adelaide South Australia. We left Bristol in 1982 just after our hey day I guess. Almost every year since we have bought a city shirt and been really proud of our club and our roots. We share locals passion for the club and wish for promotion every game, every day. Last season I spent in the UK and while I worked in London I made the trips to Ashton Gate for Luton, Wickham and QPR, and went to cardiff for the LD Vans plus QPR and Wickham at thiers. However I am as dissapointed as I could ever be to learn that Tommy Doherty a man whom pretends to be a hard man and a leader of athletes sucks on cancer sticks!

I have read the banter about yes it is, no it is not good, bad or indifferent. What a crock of ###t. For an athlete who earns his money from his body smoking is a joke and a bad one at that. Wake up Tommy you are a joke. I would like to suggest some therapy for you.

Tomorrow morning get your lazy arse out of bed and go down to your local pool to at 6:00am watch real athletes bash up and down well before most of us are up just trying to cut a little off their time which will probably never get them in an olympic team or even in to a national final. Most of these guys and girls will never earn a penny but they are made of sterner stuff.

If you are too lazy for that wait till Christmas day and find out what the local cross country runners are doing, drive your nice car out in to the country (with the heater turned right up to the "keep the pussy alive" setting) where you will find them suffering in the freezing cold looking like skinny little freaks with snot frozen on their cheeks. Ask them how much they have earnt from their career in lonely suffering?

If that is all a bit too barbaric then turn up to the next push bike road race up Dundry and stand on the side of the road watching little girls and old men suffer like hell for a poxy little medal and a five pound gift voucher.

Every week Bristol City FC's proud fans turn out better than almost any other club in the second to support you Tommy. How about you get real and stand up like the man you pretend to be on the pitch, give away the smokes and concentrate on becoming an athlete while it's not too late. If that's too deep why don't you just be honest with yourself and admit you are taking the mickey out of yourself, your fans and our club.

Heath

Guest kiwired

I've got to agree with you.

I am a smoker and play footy and the biggest thing I have noticed is that smoking doesn't really affect me when I'm Match fit, and training and playing week in week out. But if there is any kind of lay off such as injury or suspension (both of which Tommy has sufferred with), getting to that stage of match fitness again takes time.

You also have to question what sort of example (as club captain) that he is setting the younger members of the squad

Archived