IGNORED

Optimism

GrahamC

Last night for the first time this season under Tinns I saw things that made me think that the future could be actually be ok.

Forget easy victories against absolutely appalling opposition such as Brentford and Stockport, Everton may not finish third in the Premiership but they are obviously a good side.

The big plusses for me were as follows:

Bradley Orr, he has so far singularly failed to impress in the league but his peformance last night showed exactly why we signed him, he was full of running, got forward in support whenever possible and showed a fair bit of skill.

Secondly, the midfield four in general, without Tinns, who probably realises that this is his last year playing anyway, we had a midfield where 3 out of 4 were up and back instead of our usual 2 out of 4. What this meant was that Wilkshire, Murray and Orr all took the game to the opposition rather than our normal static play in this area.

Thirdly, Leroy Lita, even if the goal may have been something he didn't know much about, and his penalty miss was awful, when did you last see us have a 19 year old with the balls to run at Premiership players, try off the cuff things and scare them to death? Tinns certainly deserves a lot of credit for his perseverence and faith here.

If I have any criticism it was that we STILL can't defend set pieces properly, and before anyone thinks that is down to our keeper, free headers so close in are NOT his responsibility, (it certainly wasn't Danny Coles' finest hour, he gave away a penalty, then completely lost his man for the second goal, played one suicidal back pass and then missed a penalty in the shoot out), but if we can iron out this problem (and with 2 ex centre halves on the coaching staff I fail to see why we can't)find the consistency we currently lack, starting on Saturday, then things should pick up.

And as several people have already said Murray already appears to be back to his best, running at full pace at Premiership defenders. I felt it was really good that Murray and the two strikers and Smith all seemed to want to attack their left back, it caused all sorts of problems. As for crossing there were very good fast low balls in the area, and it caused problems. Two resulted in goals one cross from Roberts and one from Murray.

Thirdly, Leroy Lita, even if the goal may have been something he didn't know much about, and his penalty miss was awful, when did you last see us have a 19 year old with the balls to run at Premiership players, try off the cuff things and scare them to death? Tinns certainly deserves a lot of credit for his perseverence and faith here.

I really enjoyed Lita's goal. Probably as much as the screamer against Stockport. It's so refreshing to see a City striker gambling on a near post cross and just getting in amongst the flying boots.

Bradley Orr was something else last night. Should give his confidence a real boost.

• Admin
If I have any criticism it was that we STILL can't defend set pieces properly, and before anyone thinks that is down to our keeper, free headers so close in are NOT his responsibility, (it certainly wasn't Danny Coles' finest hour, he gave away a penalty, then completely lost his man for the second goal, played one suicidal back pass and then missed a penalty in the shoot out), but if we can iron out this problem (and with 2 ex centre halves on the coaching staff I fail to see why we can't)find the consistency we currently lack, starting on Saturday, then things should pick up.

Small point, for the 2nd goal they were trying to play an offside trap so Coles was MEANT to lose his man. Lita didn't push up (whether told to or not) and played them all onside and got a round of abuse for his (lack of) efforts.

Guest DAMIEN-LITA
Small point, for the 2nd goal they were trying to play an offside trap so Coles was MEANT to lose his man. Lita didn't push up (whether told to or not) and played them all onside and got a round of abuse for his (lack of) efforts.

:@ LITA,S lack of effort ! I don't think so, He is a striker with pace and should not be back defending but ( He,s a team player) Then again he scored to Equal the score....The penalty ! Keeper went the wrong way and everyone thought it had gone in. It was Evertons luck that kept it out. How can you say it was awful.........How can you say his lack of effort. You must be an Everton fan !

• Admin
:@ LITA,S lack of effort ! I don't think so, He is a striker with pace and should not be back defending but ( He,s a team player) Then again he scored to Equal the score....The penalty ! Keeper went the wrong way and everyone thought it had gone in. It was Evertons luck that kept it out. How can you say it was awful.........How can you say his lack of effort. You must be an Everton fan !

Ok, in the events leading to Everton's 2nd goal (for THAT is what I'M talking about), Lita put in a great deal of effort to stand still and play all three Everton players onside, it really was quite awe-inspiring stuff!

He was then unfairly singled out by the rest of the defence who clearly hadn't realised how much effort it had required to play these Everton players onside. Oh hang on, sounds like Lita is the Everton fan now :(

:wub: Serious Bit: ^_^

Lita IS a good prospect and IS performing well, but that doesn't mean he doesn't also make huge rickets occasionally just like the rest of the side do from time to time. Pretending he doesn't just reduces the credence of any other points you make.

Edit: not around enough at the moment to correct all those people that fail to pick up on my sarcasm so have conveniently added a "serious bit" to show where the jokey bit of my message ends :cool:

Archived