IGNORED

Tommy

Maltshoveller

Guest DAMIEN-LITA
:( I don't think it was nessasary for Tommy to take a penalty, All the lads were more than capable, Penalties are more often than not luck.....You should not be talking about penalties...............What you should be talking about is the fact that we were 0-2 down and brought it back to 2-2 before the end of the 90 minutes against a side that are currently 3rd in the premiership. i personally feel that we have defensive issues and the midfield had gapping holes in it at times. I think that Roberts should play just behind the forwards and let LEROOOOOOOOOOOOOY get on with the game. Another thing i would like to add is the sportsmanship from a 19 yr old level headed player.Leroy was the first player to go over and say well done wen the subs were made. Steve Phillips was pure class.

It hasn't occured to you that maybe Tins had picked an order before the game, based on ability in practice. Maybe, just maybe he brought Miller on just to take a penalty....

It could then be possible that Doc was not picked to take a penalty, rather than decided against taking one.

Can't imagine city would have ploughed too much training ground time into pens. prob got a nominated taker in games (lita) and reserve if necessary (coles)

Guest DAMIEN-LITA

:@ How can any of us talk about nerves, We were not on the field in the position of the players. All the lads did well and showed great heart to come back to 2-2, The only thing that concerned me was the defence! WELL DONE TO THE CITY BOYS !!!!!

:@ How can any of us talk about nerves, We were not on the field in the position of the players. All the lads did well and showed great heart to come back to 2-2, The only thing that concerned me was the defence! WELL DONE TO THE CITY BOYS !!!!!

Well excuse me but I can talk about nerves if I want! No I wasn't on the field and I have never taken a penalty before in my life! BUT, if a player generally gets nervous, then taking a penalty in a penalty shoot-out isn't really the place where he wants to be, is it?

I personally don't see the problem, there is nothing that says a captain has to take a penalty. If he is not confident in scoring then the chances are that he will not. Simple really.

Exactly. I can think of plenty of captains who probably wouldn't have taken a penalty:

Tony Adams, Paul Ince, Bobby Moore, Sol Campbell, Terry Butcher, Phil Thompson, Alan Hansen, Peter Shilton, Ray Clemence. And that's just off the top of my head.

Presumably, the poster who started this thread is equally damning of all the above named players.

Guest DAMIEN-LITA
Well excuse me but I can talk about nerves if I want! No I wasn't on the field and I have never taken a penalty before in my life! BUT, if a player generally gets nervous, then taking a penalty in a penalty shoot-out isn't really the place where he wants to be, is it?

Well tommy WAS on the field and would have had to take one if it went to sudden death. It is the Gaffers shout though !!

Well tommy WAS on the field and would have had to take one if it went to sudden death. It is the Gaffers shout though !!

I understand your point but will argue the expectation isn't the same on a penalty taker ouside of the first 5 is it? How many games actually go that far? Ok now you will tell me about Bournemouth last night. :(

Guest DAMIEN-LITA
I understand your point but will argue the expectation isn't the same on a penalty taker ouside of the first 5 is it? How many games actually go that far? Ok now you will tell me about Bournemouth last night. :(

Who gives a monkey,s about B/MOUTH ?

Guest DAMIEN-LITA
He took one in the QPR LDV game when it went to a shootout at Loftus Road if I remember right, I think he was just shattered to be honest.

I have got to agree with you on this one !

Guest DAMIEN-LITA
I personally don't see the problem, there is nothing that says a captain has to take a penalty. If he is not confident in scoring then the chances are that he will not. Simple really.

:( HOW YOU DOIN !

sorry but have to disagree with you totally on this one.

Why should he take a penalty. As a captain he needs to get stuck in in the game, lead by example and motivate the players...which he does. He does NOT however, need to show anyone how to take a penalty. He's not got a great shot on him.

I was surprised to see Danny Coles step up to take the penalty but if Tommy had it doesn't mean he would have scored. Why make someone who hasn't got a great shot on them and who perhaps isn't wildly confident from 12 yards take one? Let those who want to take them have them- don't force anyone.

sorry but have to disagree with you totally on this one.

Why should he take a penalty. As a captain he needs to get stuck in in the game, lead by example and motivate the players...which he does. He does NOT however, need to show anyone how to take a penalty. He's not got a great shot on him.

I was surprised to see Danny Coles step up to take the penalty but if Tommy had it doesn't mean he would have scored. Why make someone who hasn't got a great shot on them and who perhaps isn't wildly confident from 12 yards take one? Let those who want to take them have them- don't force anyone.

I think he should have taken a penalty, most of those Captain's mentioned by Edson are defenders - like Coles.

He's a relatively mature player now and it's a question of taking the responsibility that goes with being Captain.

Do we know that young defender Coles was confident? Was he any less shattered?

And if Tommy "hasn't got a great shot", why does he often take direct free-kicks?

I've no problem with who took our penalties. Lita, Murray, Miller, Heffernen - all strikers/attacking players with an eye for goal. (Fair play to Miller by the way for taking a pen after just a few minutes on the pitch - takes a lot of nerve). As for the other taker, Coles went straight over to Tinnion at the end of extra time pointing to himself and saying "I'll have one gaffer". He really wanted it.

Having a go at Doc seems a pointless exercise in trying to put a negative slant on what was a top team performance.

Archived