IGNORED

Premiership Football

Southport Red

We all say we want City to be in the Premiership but it is not without its downsides:

1) You wouldn't be able to get/afford a season ticket

2) Without that season ticket you wouldn't get in the ground (no-one in Prem has pay on the day)

3) The team would be full of mercenaries (not literally you understand, more a figure of speech)

4) If you did, by some miracle, get into the gground you would be sat next to a cockney (or similar) 'City fan' who didn't know the name of most of the players.

5) If, heaven forbid, we got relegated it wouldn't just be the usual relegation grief but raise concerns over the actual future existence of the club.

So all in all, although like most City fans, I would love to see us in the Prem, it isn't entirely without its downsides.

I've friends who had Birmingham City season tickets for years as they struggled to reach the Premiership. Now not one of them can afford the prices and so they are restricted to watching their club via Sky TV.

I rarely watch anything to do with the Premiership or the England team and can just about carry on my everyday life without it.

Personally i'm happy enough to just celebrate life without Danny Wilson.

We all say we want City to be in the Premiership but it is not without its downsides:

2) Without that season ticket you wouldn't get in the ground (no-one in Prem has pay on the day)

3) The team would be full of mercenaries (not literally you understand, more a figure of speech)

4) If you did, by some miracle, get into the ground you would be sat next to a cockney (or similar) 'City fan' who didn't know the name of most of the players.

5) If, heaven forbid, we got relegated it wouldn't just be the usual relegation grief but raise concerns over the actual future existence of the club.

So all in all, although like most City fans, I would love to see us in the Prem, it isn't entirely without its downsides.

Well, if you already had a season ticket you'd certainly have first call in getting another.

It's not as if it is cheap to watch the dross we currently do, so if you can afford that you'd probably pay the extra.

As for "mercenaries" it is not as if the likes of Smith, Butler, Bell, Wilkshire, Murray, Miller, Heffernan, Roberts, Lita (tell me when you want me to stop) grew up with some deep seated love of BCFC,now is it?

As for sitting by "part time" fans, well it's a price to pay, true, but it's not uncommon to have to sit by ignorant stupid people even at our current level.

I happen to believe there isn't even a one in a million chance of City making the premiership in my lifetime and I reckon I've got about 40 years to go, but instead of watching us play the likes of Chesterfield, Colchester and Stockport forever, if it is based on sensible financing let's go for it.

As I posted earlier, hope any takeover, and any subsequent success remembers the fans who have stuck with the club through all the she yte times, but somehow I doubt it, the prawns will take over, and I for one will not be able to watch my club because of it.....doubt very much I'll be alone too.....

This attitude seems really odd? If you don't want success then why do you debate about playing the best players for each position and getting better players in?

If we got to the championship and were starting to do well would start to boo the team to put them off and hope for injuries so that we don't make it?

Of course 99% of all City fans want Prem football.

Well...YES! Doesn't every fan in the country want premiership football? If the fans / club don't then why the hell carry on!

£30 million or not...what if we achieved it within the next 5 years with the current set-up......your 5 points would still apply!

Granted, things would certianly be very different, more costly etc if we did get there but the fans, as well as the club, would have to evolve.

I have a season ticket, so by that fact, I should have first dibs on a seat in our sparkling new ground in the premiership......I'm alright jack! :P

1 Not relevant.....we are by no means a cheap team to watch as it stands now and still have loyal season ticket holders, i cant see this changing, even if sales went down due to price we would still be getting more floating support than we have now.

2 Uh???? Thats not correct, Prem clubs are not exclusively season tickets only.

3 Possible but with the right board/management it shouldnt happen.

4 Again this is possible, but i don't expect a Londoner to come 150 miles to watch prem football when hes probably got a team right on his doorstep.

5 Agree totally with that one....thats the biggest pitfall of all.

:(

"

Do I really want top level football......

YES!"

Ditto from me as well.

I'm sick of looking at the fixture list and seeing the likes of Huddersfield, Chesterfield and Tranmere.

I want to go down the Gate and see Rooney, Shearer and Drogba, not Luke Beckett.

Those of you who worry that the ground will be full of people who don't know who the players are should have been with me on Wednesday night. I had a row of berks sat behind me who were amazed that Tinnion wasn't playing Peacock up front!!

And as for ticket prices, I pay on the day at the moment. That costs me the best part of £20. It really doesn't cost a great deal more than that to get a seat at most lower-ranking Premiership clubs (Southampton, Charlton etc).

I certainly don't want the future of the club to be jeopardised, but let's do what we can to get some success down at the Gate before we all die of boredom.

I like any sane fan wants Premierpoo football, but with the inevitable influx of gloryhunters, with money, quite a few of us, particularly those that travel to the odd game a month, will dip out. Make no mistake if either Brizz club got to the Prem, the gloryhunters would come out in force...unlike Charlton etc...

It just would be hard for soem of us to handle not being able to see the club we've supported, long before it was successful, due to these gloryhunters....but tould be great to see City in among the big boys........

Clear enough?...

Guest comeonyoureds

Of course i want to see top flight football at ashton gate, would any one older enough to remember the clubs short stay in the top flight in the 70's not want to see that again, i think not!

i cant believe people would be happy to watch second rate football for ever, if thats the case why bother trying to get promoted this season, ambition of a club has a big part to play otherwise whats the point in bothering to carry on!

wouldnt it be better to see kids walking around the streets of bristol all in city shirts instead of manure and arsenal shirts!

yes life in the prem would be different, but its my dream to one day see city there!

id be happy to pay a bit more to watch top level football, you'd be getting better value for money for sure, sometimes its hard to call what we watch football!

as for the ground being full of fans that don't know a thing about the club, i think that would only happen if the club became a huge club like manure, arsenal, liverpool, clubs like bolton, charlton, portsmouth are unlikely to have that problem as they arnt fasionable clubs.

one of the major plus points of being in the prem would be the extra money brought into the area, it really would put bristol on the map and help create new jobs and give the city of bristol a huge lift!

anyhow these concerns are all a long long way off, at the moment the first concern is getting out of this hole if a division, when we're top 6 in the championship then would be the time to discuss this again!

Yes i do want premiership football , who doesnt?? I can understand the point about the prices but you'd be suprised how cheap some clubs are , i went to villa last season with a mate and its 16 quid for under 16's and 20 quid for adults and you can pay on the day or book your tickets in advance. I also know that birmingham and southampton prices are nothing out of the ordinary , its just teams like chelski and man u that have stupid prices.

don't agree entirely!

If we ever get there I see us as a Charlton, Norwich, West Brom type team.....yes, some glory hunters will appear but you would still maintain the core of your support. I wouldn't expect to see City shirts start appearing in Newcastle, Manchester or London etc

I'm sure if we get there, the gate or any new stadium would have enough capacity to cope with demand

I like any sane fan wants Premierpoo football, but with the inevitable influx of gloryhunters,  with money, quite a few of us, particularly those that travel to the odd game a month, will dip out. Make no mistake if either Brizz club got to the Prem, the gloryhunters would come out in force...unlike Charlton etc...

It just would be hard for soem of us to handle not being able to see the club we've supported, long before it was successful, due to these gloryhunters....but tould be great to see City in among the big boys........

Clear enough?...

don't agree entirely!

If we ever get there I see us as a Charlton, Norwich, West Brom type team.....yes, some glory hunters will appear but you would still maintain the core of your support. I wouldn't expect to see City shirts start appearing in Newcastle, Manchester or London etc

I'm sure if we get there, the gate or any new stadium would have enough capacity to cope with demand

"

It just would be hard for some of us to handle not being able to see the club we've supported, long before it was successful, due to these gloryhunters....but would be great to see City in among the big boys........

Clear enough?..."

Very clear. I don't agree with you though. I travel a long distance to see the club and I can't get to every match so I don't bother with a season ticket.

However, if the club got to the Premiership then I'd buy one so that I was able to ensure I could see all the matches I wanted to see.

I am not convinced that there are as many "gloryhunters" out there as we imagine. Sure, they turn out in force when there is a one-off match like the LDV or the play-off final, but would those sort of people really want to shell out £600 for a season ticket and thus deprive a genuine fan of their seat? I'm not convinced.

Anyway, we all ought to bear in mind that throwing money at a club doesn't guarantee success so all this talk of the Premiership is extremely fanciful at the moment.

I also know that birmingham and southampton prices are nothing out of the ordinary , its just teams like chelski and man u that have stupid prices.

You are having a joke right?

http://www.blues.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Comi...0.html?ptvParm=

£38 for an adult ticket reducing to £25 for a severely resricted view.

Good point Niall.

The document is extremely poor with not a hint of a business case in sight, just some statistics we already pretty much know; I wouldn't put that before my boss!

One Team

Personally I can see good and bad things about being in the Prem, bad things:

I Love Ashton Gate, it is City's spititual home and one of the few places that is virtually unchanged since I were a lad. Women, jobs, houses and cars come and go but the Gate is always there for you (Wipes a tear from his eye). I can't see the Club staying there if we get to the Prem, it's just too small.

I enjoy the backs to the wall comaraderie of following a lower league club, I just don't think you can get the same spirit at a "big" club.

City fans are mostly genuine, have followed the club since childhood, are from Bristol and often from a long line of City fans, they have not chosen who to support based on fashion or sucess.

The prem is predictable, a milionaires playground of pampered egos, only 3 different clubs have won it in its existence, and it is likely to continue that way.

Following a prem club would inevitably be more inexpensive.

Not convinced we would ever really have the fan base (and thus the resources) to be anything other than a lower tier prem club, so not much real sucess there.

Good Things

Seeing City take on Manure, Arsenal et al on a weekly basis would be like, brilliant

Seeing us feature on TV and in the sports pages would be good also

The possibility of City in Europe............

It would put the City of Bristol on the map and be of financial benefit to the whole of the SW.

Undecided !

:(

I´d probably get flak for saying this but I don´t particularly want Prem football.Crap Sunday kick-off times,spend loads on average players with plenty of foreigners,pay "over-inflated" wages ,get relegated and go nearly bust like Bradford,Oldham & Barnsley.

No thanks

I like my club I can "identify" with plenty of Bristolians representing the City I am from ,kicking off at 3 Pm saturday afternoons !

Not that I´d want to stay in this crappy division mind you.

The championship will do me fine ta :(

don't agree entirely!

Would have to, mate...40,000 going to Baaaaaaaaadiff for Play off final and LDV, average gates 10-15,000=30-35,000 extra, plus all the schoolkids who currently support Manure, Chelski, Liverpool, ARSEnal, and more NEw fans, minus area of ground lost for executive boxes etc...yeah think I'd have reason to worry, Briz being much bigger than any of the towns/cities/areas of cities aleady mentioned.

What an unbelievable debate! No wonder we have languished in the lower divs for so long; such bloody apathy :whistle: Jeez, some of you would be happy to see P**is return cos it'd give you something to focus your moaning at!

!!!!!!!OF COURSE WE WANT TOP SODDING FLIGHT FOOTBALL!!!!!!!

(and regarding the comment about wanting to see the likes of Rooney, Shearer, Drogba etc etc; I too would love to see 'em at the Gate....but playing for us!)

4) If you did, by some miracle, get into the gground you would be sat next to a cockney (or similar) 'City fan' who didn't know the name of most of the players.

Never actually thought about any of those, they're all very good points. Especially number 5. Look what's happened to Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds. I want Championship football certainly, it'd be nice if we were one of those teams like Reading who are always pushing for a play-off place.

My Dad is a Crystal Palace supporter and the !CHEAPEST! ticket is £30! Blooody ridiculous. Even people that live in Bristol will struggle to dish out that sort of money every week but for people who don't live in Bristol it's going to be getting on for 50-60 quid per person to see one game including travel/food etc.

Having read through this thread and thought about it all I want

is to be able to go to AG and watch the team play good football I don't care who they are playing as long as they are trying to win, I don't really care which division we are in ( as long as we are in the top 4) , promotion means it was an enjoyable season , relegation means it wasn't , but regardless of where they are or who is playing, as long as I have my health and money to pay for a ticket I will go and watch them play

Archived