IGNORED

Strikers That Defend!

Tales From The Front

Having read the post concerning Steve Brookers arrival, I'll be honest and say that I am in the "money would have been better spent on the defence" camp. Especially of a ball winning, attack the ball variety.

However I can see the merit in the view that we need a forward who holds the ball up and totally agree with the forum memeber that said that this was a major problem in the old division one.

I have got to say though the argument that says (and I think this has come from the the caoching staff as well) he will be able to defend at corners is daft. What in gods name are the defenders doing! I remember at Hillsborough last year that the City player marking Graham Lee (Wednesday goal scorer)was Lee Peacock the type of player that many (not me) think we have been missing.

Steve Brooker bought for a potential quarter of a million pounds will be judged on his offensive capabilities, his ability to score and create goals as well as his ability to hold up and link play in the final third of the pitch.

I hope he achieves what Tinman believes he can deliever but City still need a Defender in the Shaun Taylor mold. Anybody that has seen Tony Butler play against Howard or even Julian Alsop (at Cheltenham) will know he cannot fill this role. Danny Coles is a excellant sweeper, winning the ball when played in behind the defence but again not an agressive ball winner.

In my opinnion Brooker might be a vital part of the jigsaw but he is not the final piece.

Archived