IGNORED

Support The Chairman!

Xiled

Just wanted to say that we should all pause to consider the fact that our board have sanctioned another pricey signing.

Which other Championship/League One/League Two team has this ambition?

I'm grateful for everything that Steven Lansdown has done since he took charge. We can all moan about not being promoted but it came down to one point during last season and one goal at Cardiff.

Faced with the choice of a fantasy £30M or a budgeted, affordable £225,000 purchase, I'll take the latter.

In five years time I hope City are more like Charlton than Bradford.

Xiled.

Once again I have to take my hat off to him. I might not be impressed with all the signings we make, but you can't fault his effort. Last season when things looked bleak he put his hand in his pocket and brought in Murray, God and that fat bloke. Now he's putting his money where his mouth is again.

To be perfectly honest I'd don't want a new chairman - lets stick with the guy whos stuck by us. :o:D:me?:

Chances of keeping any of our signings or players if we fail this year :D NIL.

Remember

1. We have signed,Murray,Heffer and Brooker in a short space of time.

2.We were in debt anyway,

3,We have little to no improvement in gate reciepts,

4,We couldnt "afford" the 12th man East End.

5,We cant afford new t.v screens for instance, and are constantly cost cutting

6,We have failed to keep our top goalscorer for past seasons

Going up this time is now a must,(I remember the Ashton8) :o

Team and supporter spirit and belief is a must, of course I support the chairman (apart from the E.E)We must now get out of this division though. :me?:

Steve Lansdown is a legend and he wants what's best for the club.

Said it before and I'll say it again. He smiles nicely in interviews, too.

If he was here right now I'd give the man a hug.

Chances of keeping any of our signings or players if we fail this year :D NIL.

Remember

1. We have signed,Murray,Heffer and Brooker in a short space of time.

2.We were in debt anyway,

3,We have little to no improvement in gate reciepts,

4,We couldnt "afford" the 12th man East End.

5,We cant afford new t.v screens for instance, and are constantly cost cutting

6,We have failed to keep our top goalscorer for past seasons

Going up this time is now a must,(I remember the Ashton8) :o

Team and supporter spirit and belief is a must, of course I support the chairman (apart from the E.E)We must now get out of this division though. :me?:

I'm not sure about televisions but I'm certain that SL wouldn't be allowing Tinnion to sign players if the financial commitment was incompatible with the budget that he controls.

There was no song and dance, no fanfare - just good money available for what we hope will be a good signing.

This board is quietly going about the business of running a football club but doing everything possible to get us into the next division.

There is no chance that we will lose our recent signings at the end of this season. If they are in contract, who has the money to buy them? Nobody is buying players (ignore the stupid money in the top flight) - they will only leave at the end of their contracts (Peacock) or if we realease them.

I don't think we will ever be selling the three players you mention on the basis of making a profit (imagine selling Scotty back to Reading again - how funny would that be?!)

As far as the East End goes, knock it down. One thing that teams like Reading, Bolton, Charlton, Southampton prove is that a modern or redeveloped stadium brings in the fans. More fans means more money and with a decent board that means success. The East End will never be part of a modern stadium.

Xiled.

Really can't fault Steve lansdown for giving Danny Wilson great backing by ye olde div 3 standards over 4 seasons - just a shame that Wilson couldn't turn that backing into promotion. Now Steve Lansdown has now given the Tinman a chance to shine - with plenty of money made available for signings. We've got the best Chairman in this division.

Blimey. The way this thread reads, anyone would think that the chairman's bought Brooker with his own money!

He runs the club and makes the decisions but he does it with the money that his customers hand over to him at the turnstiles, in the club shop, and for cups of tea at £1.30 a cup (I know I go on about the tea)etc.

That's you and me, ladies and gents, we bought Brooker, the chairman simply sanctioned it.

We must generate in excess of £6,000,000 a year amongst us. Should we really be applauding him for spending some of our cash as we sit 17th in the old 3rd division?

Blimey. The way this thread reads, anyone would think that the chairman's bought Brooker with his own money!

He runs the club and makes the decisions but he does it with the money that his customers hand over to him at the turnstiles, in the club shop, and for cups of tea at £1.30 a cup (I know I go on about the tea)etc.

That's you and me, ladies and gents, we bought Brooker, the chairman simply sanctioned it.

We must generate in excess of £6,000,000 a year amongst us. Should we really be applauding him for spending some of our cash as we sit 17th in the old 3rd division?

Is that supposed to be a joke? we operate at a substancial loss each year (millions) and who do you think funds that then?

Is that supposed to be a joke? we operate at a substancial loss each year (millions) and who do you think funds that then?

Who do you think funds it? Do you think the board make donations?

In my business, when expenditure exceeds income I put money into it. The company accounts record this capital injection as a "Directors Loan". I'm entitled to have that repaid at a later date (when income exceeds expenditure or when someone buys my business). The Inland Revenue allow me to repay the loan with interest at 2% above the base rate (6.75% a year at the moment).

I cannot imagine that the directors, shrewd businessmen that they are, will have acted in any other way (unless new shares have been issued).

Who do you think funds it? Do you think the board make donations?

In my business, when expenditure exceeds income I put money into it. The company accounts record this capital injection as a "Directors Loan". I'm entitled to have that repaid at a later date (when income exceeds expenditure or when someone buys my business). The Inland Revenue allow me to repay the loan with interest at 2% above the base rate (6.75% a year at the moment).

I cannot imagine that the directors, shrewd businessmen that they are, will have acted in any other way (unless new shares have been issued).

They are in the form of loans but i'm sure reading that Sl and the other directors are not expecting much if any money back, and have continued to plug the losses and find money for new players, and i'm sure at least a portion of the brooker transfer fee was funded by directors loans. They are basically giving the money to the club as they know that they probably won't get it back unless the club suceeds, which is why i find questions over their ambition frankly rediculous, as if they ever expect any kind of return on their investments then it is very much in their interests that we are sucessful.

Has the season ended early then ?

No, but my question was how much have City spent this season, and stating the fact we are in the play offs. :)

---

Also...

We had a £2k bid turned down for Brooker.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/footba...ning%20Standard

Martin's way of trying to get some publicity, I think. But a lack of money hasn't stopped him winning manager of the month, has it? Perhaps that's the point he was making?

They are in the form of loans but i'm sure reading that Sl and the other directors are not expecting much if any money back, and have continued to plug the losses and find money for new players, and i'm sure at least a portion of the brooker transfer fee was funded by directors loans.  They are basically giving the money to the club as they know that they probably won't get it back unless the club suceeds, which is why i find questions over their ambition frankly rediculous, as if they ever expect any kind of return on their investments then it is very much in their interests that we are sucessful.

This really is supposition of the highest order. Unless you KNOW to the contrary, the following statements you make are all your guesswork:

i'm sure reading that Sl and the other directors are not expecting much if any money back

have continued to plug the losses and find money for new players

i'm sure at least a portion of the brooker transfer fee was funded by directors loans

They are basically giving the money to the club

they know that they probably won't get it back unless the club suceeds

Maguire, if he's done his research right (questionable I know), believes the club have debt of £1M-£2M which should include repayment of Director's Loans. Not a massive amount in the context of a £6M annual turnover and the years they've ran the club.

As someone else pointed out, our chairman's wealth is tied up in his business. My time to guess, I reckon he'll have drawn out several million over the years. As an owner of an investment company, he'll understand about diversification. He's knows that there is only so far that he's prepared to go to commit his personal wealth to the club. I suspect that he hit that limit last season, hence the cutbacks over the summer. Getting the club to a position of being self-financing stops him increasing his committment to this asset.

If you've invested time and effort in the club, you want to be there to maximise the investment return when it goes right. You don't want to withdraw your interest while we continue to wallow in the lower division because you don't get as much. A potential purchaser would see the director's loans and equity repaid but there wouldn't be much of a premium. Years of work for a negligible return.

It is this reason that Maguire felt the need to go public - if I was SL, I wouldn't want to sell up at this point either. I'd only sell if I felt the pressure from the fans and I was no longer enjoying it.

Archived