IGNORED

Peterborough Thoughts

fct

Although City won 1-0 it ought to have been by 5 or so, but wasted opportunities meant just Heffernan's 6th minute strike to show for a night of attacking football against admittedly a poor Peterboro team.

Barry Fry's team was typical of him; I've watched Peterboro over the past 3 years and they don't change; they are as negative and dismal as ever and City just can't seem to put them away even when they carve them open. A series of 1-0s and a 1-1 is the sum total of what I've seen.

Heffernan looked lively, stung the keeper with one early shot then dispossessed a defender on 6 mins, ran into the box and shot low across the keeper into the net. Ought to have scored with a point blank header in the second half but the keeper blocked it well. Lita had an off night, gettign caught offside too much, missing a penalty and hitting the post when through.

Murray was poor, his crossing abysmal. The midfield of Wilkshire, Tinnion and Orr was reasonable and good at attacing but defensively I wonder how they'd do against a team that knows where the penalty box is. Phillips had 1 shot to save, in the 88th minute. Amankwaah and Fortune had ok games but crossing needs improving. Butler and Coles were solid and Coles really should have scored in the last minute when put through but somehow missed and he also headed wide from a corner with the keeper floundering.

So City deserved the win but it should have been by more.

Phillips 6; Amankwaah 5 (Hill 6), Butler 7, Coles 7, Fortune 5 (Bell 6); Murray 5, Wilkshire 6 (Brown 6), Orr 6, Tinnion 7; Lita 6, Heffernan 7.

(snip)

So City deserved the win but it should have been by more.

Phillips 6; Amankwaah 5 (Hill 6), Butler 7, Coles 7, Fortune 5 (Bell 6); Murray 5, Wilkshire 6 (Brown 6), Orr 6, Tinnion 7; Lita 6, Heffernan 7.

Pretty much the same game I saw.

Good to see Kev A back. He was a bit ring rusty, but that's to be expected after his long lay off. Lets hope the injury wasn't anything serious.

Is this a case of players performing for the big games and going through the motions for the run of the mill games ?

No. The players worked hard tonight and dominated the game without taking their chances. But it was a comfortable victory against poor opposition and they did what had to be done.

Archived