IGNORED

Footballers That Smoke

Big Red Rich

After revelations that one of our players' enjoys a marlboro light here and there, anybody know of any other footballers past and present that enjoyed a smoke? I know that Brian Parkin and Andy Gurney (both former G*s players) were reasonably heavy smokers as well as former Czech and Yugoslavia player Robert Prosinecki smoked 40 a day but cut to 20 when he joined Pompey. I don't think its a coincedence that no top players (that I know of) smoke, maybe they quit when they hit the big time? Do you think that if some players quit then they would be playing a better standard of football?

I know quite a few top cricketers smoke, Keith Piper, Trevor Penney, Shane Warne, Phil Tuffnel, Robin Smith to name but a few. It seems you dont have to be that fit to be a cricketer, well a spinner anyway! Talking of other fitness based sports, many snooker and darts players smoke! :)

So, does anybody know of any other sportsmen that smoke and in the main, top footballers?

BRR.....smoking a pipe of peace! :me?:

Socrates (no, not the philosopher), Brazilian captain and World Cup winner got through 40 a day. He`s now a doctor :Cool27: Michel Platini, arguably still France`s best player of all time, 20+ a day. John Robertson, Notts Forest flying (all right, loping) winger, European Cup winner/1st Division Championship winner. Roberto Bettega (I think), Juve European Cup winner and Italian World Cup winner.

Countless other Italians, Dutch and Brazilians. A lot of flair players seem to be mavericks at heart so drinking and smoking was par for the course. I suspect it`s a bit different now, fitness, especially at top level is a fundamental requirement. Are you listening Tommy? :)

it seems that even players who don't smoke are just as prone to

smoke by passive smoking than taking a cigarette to their mouth,

it can be just as bad, so those around bars and clubs or just

around someone who smokes as players will pick up smoke as bad

as a smoker, i'm a non smoker but work in clubs now my shirt will

smell of smoke from others who puff away.

I had an "England's No-Smoking Team" squad poster from the 1986 World Cup - one of those campaigns that sports stars are expected to be involved in. Sat right in the middle of the team photo though was Peter Reid, who smoked 20 a day throughout his career! There were two other smokers in that side too, but I can't for the life of me remember who they were.

I have been looking into these accusations of Tommy smoking and yes he does smoke but only cigars once in a while. This is a true fact. He is NOT!!!! a heavy cigarete smoker as some of you have put it. The odd cigar now and again aint all that bad ask Malcolm Allison :) .

I have been looking into these accusations of Tommy smoking and yes he does smoke but only cigars once in a while. This is a true fact. He is NOT!!!! a heavy cigarete smoker as some of you have put it. The odd cigar now and again aint all that bad ask Malcolm Allison  :) .

You may well be right, but that certainly wasn't the case two years ago. I think Tommy's stamina seems to have improved during that period, which may back up your claim.

I don't know about footballers, but as you mentioned cricketers, I know that: Flintoff, Vaughan, Butcher, Thorpe and Giles of the current England cricket team all smoke, although I have only seen them smoking when drinking, so no idea on how much. Apparently they don't consider it an issue for cricketers. For footballers though I would say it is a no-brainer - you just shouldn't smoke.

Guest MaloneFM

The Argetina manager (who I cant remember) in the 1978 World Cup Finals smoked like an Avonmouth chimney all through the tournament and eventually won it.

But

They played Peru in the semis and beat them 5-0 depriving Brazil a World Cup Final place on a +3 goal difference. And it was a hell of a fix with more rigging than the Great Britain.

I think Argentina paid Peru $1 million to lose by 5 or more.

Ossie Ardiles was always a huge smoker as well - don't know of many modern players who do - although i remember an intervierw with Paul Ince when he was at Inter saying it was commonplace on the continent.

Pace and athleticism of the modern game just don't think you can get away with it anymore.

Archived