IGNORED

We've Got Too Much Of An Average Thing At Ag

headhunter

The signing of Brooker for £150k as our best striker immediately devalues the market worth of Roberts, Miller and Goodfellow were we to hold an open sale - think about it ... Miller cost £300k so if our best cost £150k what does that value Miller at ? ?? £75k

On this theme, how many sides in this division could put out 2 sides as strong as this from their squads

Phillips

Smith - Coles - Hill - Bell

Murray - Doherty - Tinnion - Anyinsah

Lita - Brooker

or this

Stowell

Amankwaah - Butler- Fortune - Woodman

Roberts - Orr - Wilkshire - Goodfellow

Miller - Heffernan

Just why are we underachieving with our present squad ???

The signing of Brooker for £150k as our best striker immediately devalues the market worth of Roberts, Miller and Goodfellow were we to hold an open sale - think about it ... Miller cost £300k so if our best cost £150k what does that value Miller at ? ?? £75k

On this theme, how many sides in this division could put out 2 sides as strong as this from their squads

Phillips

Lita - Brooker

or this

Stowell

Miller - Heffernan

It's a bloody good question and one that struck me in the pub the other night. We have the best goalie in the Divison - the best defender (Coles)

the best passer (Tinman) the best battler (Doc) the best winger (Murray) and the Divisons highest scorer (Lita). All of our first team and most of our reserves would walk into any club in the Divsion, so why aren't they producing consistently ?

It's a bloody good question and one that struck me in the pub the other night.  We have the best goalie in the Divison - the best defender (Coles)

the best passer (Tinman) the best battler (Doc) the best winger (Murray) and  the Divisons highest scorer (Lita).  All of our first team and most of our reserves would walk into any club in the Divsion, so why aren't they producing consistently ?

From an old Bristol boy player/coach/supporter in the usa, and in a pub, you are as always right on the mark......answer these red and white "bests" are not playing as a team.....YET. They have to win 3 of the next 4 games or we will get our just deserts....a mid table finish.

Phillips

Lita - Brooker

or this

Stowell

Miller - Heffernan

"

It's a bloody good question and one that struck me in the pub the other night. We have the best goalie in the Divison - the best defender (Coles)

the best passer (Tinman) the best battler (Doc) the best winger (Murray) and the Divisons highest scorer (Lita). All of our first team and most of our reserves would walk into any club in the Divsion, so why aren't they producing consistently ?"

With all due respect to the great Gerry Gow and his magnificent moustache, I really don't believe that "all of our first team would walk into any club in the division". There is a tendency among City fans to assume that our players are automatically better than anybody else's but then we play teams like Huddersfield at home and, to be honest, I thought that they looked much better than us in just about every position. Our players *are* under-performing, no doubt about that, but it's really complacent to think that we have the best squad of players in the division when the evidence is there week after week to suggest otherwise.

Sorry Gerry.

It's a bloody good question and one that struck me in the pub the other night.  We have the best goalie in the Divison - the best defender (Coles)

the best passer (Tinman) the best battler (Doc) the best winger (Murray) and  the Divisons highest scorer (Lita).  All of our first team and most of our reserves would walk into any club in the Divsion, so why aren't they producing consistently ?

Doherty certainly isn't the best battler in the division, or anywhere near it on this season's performances. I still hope City can get Wellens.

We overestimate our players, too many are inconsistent.

Each player seems to have a good spell, then his form drops again and very rarely are an acceptable number on form in the same game.

I'm struggling to think of one who has played well in every game or even most of them.

Guest Lennie Godber

Phillips

Lita - Brooker

or this

Stowell

Miller - Heffernan

To answer your question : Bad management, crap organisation

Guest panelman

To answer your question : Bad management, crap organisation

BULLSEYE!!!

I just don't how poor old Gillespie gets out of bed in the morning,

or Miller. Why is Woodman at Mansfield? Although, I suppose he'll learn

more in a month with Curle than in five years under our management.

I really do feel for guys like Heffernan and Roberts. Why are we signing

more and more players?? Are they improving the team?? Wiser managers know

how to use the loan system, recent purchases smack of desperation.

Time to empty your desk Brian T, you simply don't know what you're doing.

And you Steve, someone who knows about football and how to advance the club is needed, damn sharpish. You're strategies are twenty years out of date.

Look into the not so distant future, when Wigan are playing premiership football maybe Plymouth aswell even Watford again. Ask yourself if you're

happy, and picture the image of Lansdown tickling BTs tummy cooing 'Stability,

stability.'

PS Pilkington the Mansfield goalkeeper, should be signed to keep Phillips on his toes.

We have been saying for sometime that that reserve side would do very very well in this division and there are a few good un's not even made it into the stiffs!

Still need that second goalie.

We have got one but I can't remember his name because he warms up with Phillips before every game and played against Portsmouth or West brom in the friendlies.

Phillips

Lita - Brooker

or this

Stowell

Miller - Heffernan

This a great point and with people like Scott Golbourne and Scott Brown in our reserve and youth team, it seems that the future is bright.

We don't only have a squad with so much quality but a young one also. The signings that we have bought are all young players who aren't even nearly at their peak.

I just don't understand why we are where we are with such good players - this division isn't all that and we should be well shot of it by now.

Guest ashtonyate

If you just look at the league table that will tell you everthing. Its not teams on paper that matter its what plays on the pitch and we are 15 in the table. Its debatable whether we are the stongest team in this division time will tell.

It's the average thing.

I said something similar on Saturday :huh:

Without wishing to state the obvious, we can only field 11 at a time and when we kick off, the only place that the squad pays off is on the bench and, in fairness, Saturday proved that to a point with CF & BO doing the business after BT bravely changed it.

I think it'a about players who compliment each other and finishing up with 6 smaller strikers and no target man to start the season with, was a major error.

You could argue that there was little point in signing Heffernan without a target man and I'd agree with you.

That's why we need to loose two of our strikers, bring in another target man as cover for Brooker and sign a central midfielder who can score goals, because BT & TD can't! I'd play LW centrally, particularly at home.

Average isn't good and neither is very similar.

"Saturday proved that to a point with CF & BO doing the business after BT bravely changed it."

Orr and Fortune should be playing every week if you ask me, they give 100% every week, even though they may not get MOTM performances.

Theres not enough players that are consistant in our side, and our first half performances are dire, but we come out second half a different team.

For example, Butler, he gives a quality game now and again, but the rest of the time hes not in the game and makes mistakes.

Phillips

Amankawaah Coles Hill Fortune

Murray Orr Tinnion Wilkshire

Lita Heffernan

I think Smith is a liability, puts in a few crunching tackles, but seems to get caught out a bit too much and his temper will cost us.

Brooker seems to be a decent signing although had his work cut out as a lone striker on saturday. I understand Tinnion must play him as he played £225,000 for him, but Heffernan is on form at the moment and is working really hard to cement a place in the side, I think if we played him he'd be banging in the goals.

Saying Tinnion should clear his desk in my opinion is pathetic.

The man has had less than half a season and yet people are calling for his resignation.

In the Tinnion has been here I have seen some of the best football I have watched city play for ages and some better than what I would of ever seen under Wilson in my opinion.

However along with it we have been even more inconsistant then what we have ever been.

We are not overating our squad, it is a terrific squad, no doubt about that. Its consistancy that this football club has been lacking for a long long time and it has prooved fatal many a time.

Personally i think there is no-one better to drive consistancy into the team than Tins.

What is consistancy? To be concsistant you have to be 100% dedicated 100% of the time, in other words you got to have a bit of passion. If you got passion, dedication then you should be consistant.

if you were passionate and dedicated you will want to try your very best every game and never have a 'lazy, I can't be bothered day' (which i seem to have many of in work!)

There is no-one more passionate and dedicated to this club more than Tins so in my opinion there is no-one that would be better for the cause than himself.

the only problem for me is that he could try too hard.

Guest ashtonyate

Some times it does not help to be too passionate about a club as a manager.Take Hollioway he was so in love with the Rovers he nearly put them in the conferance.You need to be able to stand back a bit and look at things with a clear head.

Archived