IGNORED

Time To Market The Club For Sale?

Guest Far_East_Red

Guest Far_East_Red

I'd say if the club was actively marketed to some of the world's billionaires then it would be snapped up and the club would be in th Premier League in two or three years time. Got to be selective of course, not the corrupt ones unless uncorrupt billionaire is a contradiction of terms :(

It's not as if the club is some depessing northern town with a small catchment area. Plenty of selling points for Bristol and Rovers could be snapped up as the feeder team to ensure the catchment area is 'focused' on the main club. Lots of selling points:-

Sixth biggest city in the UK. Ranks higher in many 'quality of life' surveys.

Just missed out on being the European Capital of Culture.

No significant debts.

No local competition.

Better potential than many existing Premier League clubs but available for sale with less debt and at a cheaper price.

The satisfaction of being the person responsible for taking an under-achieving club towards success and a status appropriate for a city of this size.

Opportunity for a businessman to combine a fooball club with a general events arena.

Second best to this scenario is of course Steve Lansdown who is doing a terrific job. Still, I do wonder how actively the likes of Steve and the less active board members have sought out buyers. Despite the hard-work and headaches it brings a lot of status and while 'hobby' wouldn't be doing justice to Steve's work and commitment I do feel they would be reluctant to actively seek out a buyer who can take the club forward.

It wouldn't cost much but I feel that a glossy brochure sent out to that select group of potential suitors could reap rewards. That group is strictly billionaires, multi-millionaires need not apply - sorry.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ham/3222925.stm

Billionaire targets Fulham

Thaksin was impressed by Old Trafford win

Thailand's billionaire prime minister is considering making a bid for Fulham.

Thaksin Shinawatra has just returned from a four-day trip to Britain, where he watched the Cottagers' 3-1 Premier League defeat of Manchester United at Old Trafford.

Fulham, who are owned by Harrods store boss Mohamed Al Fayed, announced yearly losses of £33.6m on 28 April.

"I'm considering this, but I still haven't decided. It shouldn't take too long to decide. 'Yes' or 'no' has to be fast, not slow," said Thaksin.

He added that he was "so impressed with some of Fulham's star players".

It's the only way forward these days, as Football has become like Baseball with Millionaires playing for Billionaires.

Fulhams loses are ridiculous and only someone who can build a ground, circa £60m and cover the loses of £3m per month can apply.

The banks want shooting for letting this happen as do the clubs Board of Directors.

Same with Leeds.It's a disgrace.

As for City?

I'd say if we stay at the gate-rebuild the ground to 30/35,000 Capacity-£20m and then attempt to gain Premier League status, you're looking at another 20m.

Someone who can pump in circa £40m over two/four years will be hard to find and if there is someone, why haven't they come forward?

It costs £36,500pw more than we make, just to keep the club going as it is now.

It would be lovely to see a Branson or Abramovich come riding along, but I wouldn't hold your breath!

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

The thought of us being another Fulham, Wolves, Blackburn ect makes me feel sick. The day we buy our sucess is the day I start supporting Mangotsfield or Bath

It's the only way forward these days, as Football has become like Baseball with Millionaires playing for Billionaires.

As for City?

It would be lovely to see a Branson or Abramovich come riding along, but I wouldn't hold your breath!

A ) Branson may have caught one of his own trains

B ) Would we have to change our name to Virgin Bristol City?

C ) Do you think virgin & Bristol sit well together?

:(

Very interesting debate.

Living in Pompey is certainly an eye opener to what success of the local football club can do to the city.

Two Saturdays ago while City were playing out a dull 0-0 draw at Wrexham I walked past Fratton Park where Pompey were beating liverpool 1-0.

Now I'm sorry but something just isn't quite right about that, didn't we get 4 points of Pompey 4 years ago in the First?

Why did Milan Mandoric choose Portsmouth of all places to invest his cash? Bristol City would've been a MUCH BETTER option on financial grounds surely?!

Portsmouth:

-The poorest city on the South coast of England

-40% of people in Pompey live in Council houses

-The most densely populated city in Europe, with little room for development

-Have been the poorer neighbour (footballing terms) to Scumhampton for years!

I don't want to make a list for Bristol but suffice to say Bristol is a considerably wealthier and more prosperous city.

Added to that any invester who would put money into us would have the benefit of having the most fans over Rovers and the better club.

We still must surely remain one of the best viable football clubs in Britain to invest money in.

The more I think about it, the more it amazes me that no BIG backers have come in for us.

One final thought, I presume that the board are actively seeking backers? As much as I think the current board is great I'd like to think that they wouldn't turn down any chance of a business man pumping millions into BCFC?

Hammam made an approach with the cash I believe but was turned down?

Very interesting debate.

Living in Pompey is certainly an eye opener to what success of the local football club can do to the city.

Two Saturdays ago while City were playing out a dull 0-0 draw at Wrexham I walked past Fratton Park where Pompey were beating liverpool 1-0.

Now I'm sorry but something just isn't quite right about that, didn't we get 4 points of Pompey 4 years ago in the First?

Why did Milan Mandoric choose Portsmouth of all places to invest his cash? Bristol City would've been a MUCH BETTER option on financial grounds surely?!

Portsmouth:

-The poorest city on the South coast of England

-40% of people in Pompey live in Council houses

-The most densely populated city in Europe, with little room for development

-Have been the poorer neighbour (footballing terms) to Scumhampton for years!

I don't want to make a list for Bristol but suffice to say Bristol is a considerably wealthier and more prosperous city.

Added to that any invester who would put money into us would have the benefit of having the most fans over Rovers and the better club.

We still must surely remain one of the best viable football clubs in Britain to invest money in.

The more I think about it, the more it amazes me that no BIG backers have come in for us.

One final thought, I presume that the board are actively seeking backers? As much as I think the current board is great I'd like to think that they wouldn't turn down any chance of a business man pumping millions into BCFC?

Hammam made an approach with the cash I believe but was turned down?

Phats, a very good post.

Mixed with praise for current regime & tinged with that 'oh how we wished' debate that must be a desire of every City fan.

I too get down to Portsmouth alot & have some customers whose life has been changed with the buzz of Premier League footy.

Although to be fair the buzz started when MM came to power.

Funny though, how all the 'scummers' can't wait for the Saints game!! :(

By your name I'm guessing that you havent been to many games this season, if you had I don't think you would be saying that.

Also all your positives are about the city and not the team. It will take a hell of a lot of money and a completely new squad and is not going to happen soon. be realistic

Guest Far_East_Red

BridgyRed, confusing I agree but the username relates to my location a few months back but I will return as they say. I've been to all the home games this season. Not sure I see the logic in saying if I'd seen the games "I don't think you would be saying that." The reason for the post is because I have seen the games.

Ditto, you say "all (my) positives are about the City and not the team." I think you've made the case for me, we need a rich owner because the team needs an injection of class and that costs money. Having said that, I can't even completely convince myself about it because the community feel to the team and the big element of local talent making up the team would be lost.

Good post Mr Red (or may I call you Far ?).

I think what any potential billionaire buyers would have to ask themselves though is, why bother ?

Lets be realistic here. You have already say 3 billion in the bank. What on earth could owning a club like City add to this ?

Yes, you would earn the adoration of the loyal fans - but would you really care about that ? Bearing in mind these loyal fans are people you are unlikely to ever meet, supporting a club you rarely see, in a city you have never been to.

Unless you were an egomaniac billionaire there is nothing to be gained from it.

Once the club were bought, millions more would be spent on continual changing of playing and coaching staff, millions more on ground development. And as the success gradually came - the running costs would spiral out of control. The original investment would be peanuts compared to how much more was needed just to stand still.

In the meantime other billionaires have bought other clubs and you would no longer be the 'new kid on the block'. Suddenly the star begins to fade and Mr BCFC billionaire gets bored of the investment. The Saudi's raise the oil price, the Russian economy collapses, the Tory party elect Ann Widdecombe as leader.

The billionaire uproots and goes home. Leaving us with debts that Leeds Utd would laugh at.

Its a nice idea though. Food for thought.

All i want is City in the Prem and if that means Lansdwon selling up then so be so long as it is to an invester who will not pull the plug on us and leave us stranded.

I think it is the aimof Rushden and Diamonds to get a big invester and why not put the club up for sale and see what interest it sparks up.

Surely, anyone who has City in their heart will want to see the ebst done by them.

I'd say if the club was actively marketed to some of the world's billionaires then it would be snapped up and the club would be in th Premier League in two or three years time. Got to be selective of course, not the corrupt ones unless uncorrupt billionaire is a contradiction of terms :(

It's not as if the club is some depessing northern town with a small catchment area. Plenty of selling points for Bristol and Rovers could be snapped up as the feeder team to ensure the catchment area is 'focused' on the main club. Lots of selling points:-

Sixth biggest city in the UK. Ranks higher in many 'quality of life' surveys.

Just missed out on being the European Capital of Culture.

No significant debts.

No local competition.

Better potential than many existing Premier League clubs but available for sale with less debt and at a cheaper price.

The satisfaction of being the person responsible for taking an under-achieving club towards success and a status appropriate for a city of this size.

Opportunity for a businessman to combine a fooball club with a general events arena.

Second best to this scenario is of course Steve Lansdown who is doing a terrific job. Still, I do wonder how actively the likes of Steve and the less active board members have sought out buyers. Despite the hard-work and headaches it brings a lot of status and while 'hobby' wouldn't be doing justice to Steve's work and commitment I do feel they would be reluctant to actively seek out a buyer who can take the club forward.

It wouldn't cost much but I feel that a glossy brochure sent out to that select group of potential suitors could reap rewards. That group is strictly billionaires, multi-millionaires need not apply - sorry.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ham/3222925.stm

Billionaire targets Fulham

Thaksin was impressed by Old Trafford win

Thailand's billionaire prime minister is considering making a bid for Fulham.

Thaksin Shinawatra has just returned from a four-day trip to Britain, where he watched the Cottagers' 3-1 Premier League defeat of Manchester United at Old Trafford.

Fulham, who are owned by Harrods store boss Mohamed Al Fayed, announced yearly losses of £33.6m on 28 April.

"I'm considering this, but I still haven't decided. It shouldn't take too long to decide. 'Yes' or 'no' has to be fast, not slow," said Thaksin.

He added that he was "so impressed with some of Fulham's star players".

Post this on the Lansdwon forum. :Costumed19:

Rushdens bloke wants to go - If he does it's "bye bye" time.  Could they become the proffesional club with the shortest existence?

Absolutely! :(

As fun as it might be to fantasise about it, the only way to go is generating your own income as much as possible and living within your means.

Ask around, Boom and Bust does not work, in any walk of life!

Archived