IGNORED

Reserves

RedM

Reading another post about the difference between youngsters in reserve football and 1st team games got me wondering...

We have got a big squad of players and keeping them all fit and happy isn't easy, but what are the alternatives? There is reserve team football but there seems to be a huge difference between that and playing in league 1. Is there anything else where are players can play 'better' opponants? A bit more like friendlies?

No disrespect to mangotsfield etc but if a player is trying to learn, regain confidence or recover from an injury, maybe they would be boosted by playing a Prem/Championship Reserve side occasionally? It must be quite hard for our players to motivate themselves against lower teams. That then creates a downward spiral, they can't get into the 1st team as they don't play well in the Reserves, they don't play well in the reserves 'cos they can't get motivated! :wacko: I'm not sure if this does happen but feel a tougher test might be worth a try. :D

All player want to play and be involved in the 1st team. There must be competition for all places and players should be selected on merit. I've seen so many players fade away into the Reserves, could this be the answer? :yawn:

Trouble is it's next to impossible to arrange a first team friendly during the season, clubs don't wanna take the chance that you might learn too much and then play them in the cup or something, plus the risk of injuries, fixture congestion and costs.

I'm not sure how the reserve leagues are organised, does they follow the 1st team in divisions or is it regional to keep travel costs etc down - any one know ?

Trouble is it's next to impossible to arrange a first team friendly during the season, clubs don't wanna take the chance that you might learn too much and then play them in the cup or something, plus the risk of injuries, fixture congestion and costs. 

I'm not sure how the reserve leagues are organised, does they follow the 1st team in divisions or is it regional to keep travel costs etc down -  any one know ?

its regional

The club have been pushing for the creation of an Academy U21s league so that our young players can continue playing against top class opposition once they have left the Academy, rather than having to play the likes of Barnet Reserves.

The FA, predictably, is having none of this.

That's just it. They graduate from the academy into a 'gap' if they can't break into 1st team football straight away, and not many can. There just needs to be something else more challenging or all the good work of the academy starts to become undone.

And what happens to players older than 21 who aren't 1st team regulars? Not a lot it seems. There is such a big gap between 1st team and everyone else. It has got better and more non 1st teamers are getting limited chances. There could be room for an 'A' & 'B' team league with the teams overlapping a bit more...in an ideal world where finances etc don't come into it! :wacko:

Archived