Tins Say "errors Cost Points" ...

Cornelius

I reckon:

1. Appointing inexperienced manager

2. Appointing inexperienced assistant

3. Letting Carey go

4. Not having a clue which formation we're playing

and not forgetting

5. Thinking things would get better ... when will we learn, we're destined to suffer.

What do y'all reckon?

Ouch.

1. Brian Tinnion's appointment was not an error. He was the best option the chairman had available once Danny left. The fact that SL has had no real options available other than Danny Wilson since he took over from John Laycock is the main shortcoming of our chairman. But he is allowed to have shortcomings because he had the cash to buy the club. Interestingly, another chap came along recently and said that he could whip up the same cash and more, buy the club and then do a better job than Steve. Which was rather amusing but some people failed to see the funny side of it because it really did raise some uncomfortable questions, didn't it?

2. Keith Millen's appointment looks like a very large error.

3. Forcing Louis Carey into a position whereby he had to leave the club at all was clearly an error (how's our defence looking?). To manipulate circumstances so that he left in a cloud of acrimony was worse. To slag him off on here...I dare not say.

4. Not having a clue which formation to play: nor do I. I find it all very confusing but I'm not paid to know these things. But BT did not ask to be City's manager either - he was invited to take over and they knew how experienced he was at the time (see point 1).

5. Thinking things would get better...Not so much an error as a quirk of human nature.

I reckon that Tinman should of signed a few defenders at the start of his managerial reign - I'm amazed that the board allowed him to sign yet another striker instead. The loss of Carey seems to have caused our defence to collapse on many occasions this season - Carey has thus proven, by his absence, what a good defender he was for us.

Ouch.

1. Brian Tinnion's appointment was not an error. He was the best option the chairman had available once Danny left.

Wrong.. He was the easy option. Steve Lansdown and his merry band of directors could easily of advertised the position in the national press. I'm absolutely certain that there would have been a number of high calibre candidates wanting to take over a side who had narrowly missed promotion two seasons running and had improved positionally for the last four seasons under Danny Wilson.

The fact that SL has had no real options available other than Danny Wilson since he took over from John Laycock is the main shortcoming of our chairman.

As the press quoted earlier this season. Scott Davidson had lined up David Moyes to become manager prior to being out voted by his fellow directors in favour of Tony Pulis. Am I right in assuming that Davidson had casting vote and decided to keep a harmonious boardroom.Was it not the present regime who wanted Pulis instead.

Scott Davidson had also lined up Peter Taylor to become manager after the Pulis fiasco. Only to be undermined in favour of Tony Fawthrop. (Was this not the final straw as Bob Neale, John Clapp and Davidson all resigned soon after).

I also believe that at the time the then new chairman and vice chairman were looking to appoint Bobby Gould, but,in the wake of fans dissent, Danny Wilson was appointed.(allegedly)

But he is allowed to have shortcomings because he had the cash to buy the club.

Interestingly, another chap came along recently and said that he could whip up the same cash and more, buy the club and then do a better job than Steve. Which was rather amusing but some people failed to see the funny side of it because it really did raise some uncomfortable questions, didn't it?

If the current board are as ambitious as they say they are, why not sit down with the proposed buyer and work together.It needs to benefit Bristol City, not individuals ego's

2. Keith Millen's appointment looks like a very large error.

Agree, as was Tinnions appointment.

3. Forcing Louis Carey into a position whereby he had to leave the club at all was clearly an error (how's our defence looking?). To manipulate circumstances so that he left in a cloud of acrimony was worse. To slag him off on here...I dare not say.

The majority of the defence remains the same, and in theory, with Smith coming in from a higher division it should improve. Alas,no. The blame for this has to be laid solely at the coaching (in)ability of our management duo. As for allowing Hill to stay and Carey to leave just about sums up our board and management.

4. Not having a clue which formation to play: nor do I. I find it all very confusing but I'm not paid to know these things. But BT did not ask to be City's manager either - he was invited to take over and they knew how experienced he was at the time (see point 1).

Brian Tinnion believes that Bristol City revolves around him. He is wrong. If he was passionate about my/our club he would see the damage being done, see the apathy among the supporters and resign.

5. Thinking things would get better...Not so much an error as a quirk of human nature.

Unfortunately, I can not see things changing for the better, and mid table beckons for us this season at best, although I fear relegation could well be on the cards unless performances improve dramatically.

The reason that there have been errors at the back is quite simply that our back four are under more pressure with Tinnion's team selections than they were with Wilson's more conservative (boring) style.

Wilson's midfield four always included two defensively minded players , normally Doc plus either Bell,Woodman, Burnell etc , whilst Tinnion prefers only one (Doc) plus three attacking mifielders such as Tins , Murray and Wilkshire.

It's not another defender we need but we do need cover for Doc (unless Fortune or Orr can do it) and we do need to ensure all of our midfielders understand their defensive duties to keep the pressure off the back four.

At home I think Tinman's system can work , but in away matches maybe he should be more cautious and play two defensive midfielders.

Have faith , he'll learn and we WILL go up.

:wacko::D:yawn:

The reason that there have been errors at the back is quite simply that our back four are under more pressure with Tinnion's team selections than they were with Wilson's more conservative (boring) style.

Wilson's midfield four always included two defensively minded players , normally Doc plus either Bell,Woodman, Burnell etc , whilst Tinnion prefers only one (Doc) plus three attacking mifielders such as Tins , Murray and Wilkshire.

It's not another defender we need but we do need cover for Doc (unless Fortune or Orr can do it) and we do need to ensure all of our midfielders understand their defensive duties to keep the pressure off the back four.

At home I think Tinman's system can work , but in away matches maybe he should be more cautious and play two defensive midfielders.

Have faith , he'll learn and we WILL go up.

:city:  :city:  :city:

This is not true. The myth that Doherty and Burnell were regularly paired last season is nonsense, they played together in just 5 league games!!

Woodman was not used in midfield until AFTER the league season had finished, he played there only in the playoffs.

Last season's most selected 4 midfielders were Tinnion, Wilkshire, Doherty and Aaron Brown how is that any more defensive than now?

We are no more attacking than last season, it is simply the case that Murray is back in the form of two years ago (thank goodness).

What is different is that with the same keeper and 3/4 of last year's defence we look a shambles at the back.

Biggest error letting carey go, in such a way he forced out as well.

As for tins and millena mistake, we have to ask who else was there available at that time?

Lets be honest anyone who honestly thought we would be like a train from the start were just kidding themselves, really though you were.

Time will tell, so time is what he should have.

Brian's appointment:

Yes I suppose we agree. Looking for new managers is not SL's forte. Therefore, he had to look internally and BT was the best option available to him. I don't know why he doesn't like looking for a new manager from outside. It can, of course, be a bit of a pain in the butt to explain to a new employee how the luncheon voucher system works, where the toilets are and what all the in-jokes are all about so I sympathise with him there.

Keith Millen:

OK

Louis Carey:

Maybe you're right but isn't it better to have a player coveted by Coventry than a player palmed off by Palace, as it were?

Formation:

No comment from you.

BT's revolving syndrome / lack of passion:

Can't see where you get that from.

Mid-table beckonings and fears of relegation:

I wager we'll be in the play-offs again.

Guest filtonred

As for tins and millena mistake, we have to ask who else was there available at that time?

Tins wasn't a mistake, Millen was, Frank Barlow would have made an ideal assistant to Tinnion

Guest bristolbred

This is the interview Tin's made earlier this week, but the Beeb version, and not the official BCFC version.

Thought that some of you may care to read it!!, :city:

Tinnion pleased with progress

By Paul Fletcher

Bristol City fixtures

Bristol City manager Brian Tinnion is confident his team are starting to show the sort of form that will see the club push hard for promotion.

"The first few games of the season we had a few injuries and a few players away on international duty," Tinnion told BBC Sport.

"But it has all settled down and we are now performing very well.

"There are a lot of games to play and I'm confident I have a squad to perform at the very top of the League."

Tinnion joined Bristol City as a player in March 1993 and took over as manager in June following the departure of Danny Wilson.

The board at City are desperate to win promotion and Wilson paid the price for a series of narrow failures in his four seasons at the club.

Tinnion, 36, is under no illusions that although he is just a few months into his managerial career the pressure to deliver remains as intense as ever.

It is a very steep learning curve - you learn very quickly as a new manager

Brian Tinnion

"I know what is expected, I know the supporters and what they want - and that is what I and the players want as well," added Tinnion, who knows that promotion is the undoubted aim.

"Managing is non-stop, constant, 24 hours a day and I'm still playing as well.

"It is difficult but it something I am really enjoying and I wouldn't swap it for anything and I'm very, very confident I can make it a successful first season as a manager and in the long term as well."

Tinnion admits it was a surprise to the playing staff when Wilson left the club - and equally so when he succeeded him.

A period of adjustment followed when both Tinnion and the players had to get used to his new role.

The team started the season poorly - it took six attempts before City won in the League - and Tinnion quickly found himself under pressure.

Tinnion is still playing for the team

But recent form has been good - City have lost just one of their last six League games - and the new manager is adamant the experience means he has already learnt a great deal about himself and the job.

"It is a very steep learning curve - you learn very quickly as a new manager.

"You have to take things on board and not make the same mistake twice.

"I want us to play attacking football - and we have done that, we are joint top scorers in League One.

"But at the same time you cannot concede the type of goals we have been, which are poor goals. When we get that right I'm sure we will be a force in this division because we will score goals."

Tinnion seems extremely level headed, keen to learn and determined to succeed.

"We are working very, very hard in training to make sure we get it right," said Tinnion when asked how he was gong about improving his team's defensive record.

If his dedication to the job translates itself into success on the pitch, Tinnion will finally deliver the promotion that has been so long in the making.

Archived