IGNORED

Best So Far

Dave L

I thought today was the performance of the season so far - not as flashy and exciting as the Brentford and Stockport games, but some great midfield play built on a solid defence against well organised opponents. For me there were four key performers who really made a difference.

1: Tony Butler. I thought he had an outstanding game. He may not be the quickest on the ground, but he won everything in the air, organised the back four expertly and used the ball well coming forward.

2: Mickey Bell. Gave us that attacking threat down the left hand side that we've been missing since Aaron Brown left. Despite our nominal 4 4 2 formation, for most of the first half he was playing as a left wing back, and got into some excellent forward positions.

3: Bradley Orr. This kid just gets better and better, and he gave a really mature, box to box performance today. Strong in the tackle and used the ball well going forward.

4: Steve Brooker. You can see why Tins was so keen to get him, Gave us that strength up front that we've been missing. Although he wasa bit over eager at times, held the ball up well and scored a cracking goal. Gave us extra strength defensively at set pieces too, something we've missed since Peacock left.

I thought it was an excellent team performance today, but for me the

contributions of these four were key - they created space and opportunities for others to shine. Also well done Brian Tinnion, who has come in for a deal of criticism from certain quarters, much of it very unfair IMHO. Here's to a long era of excellent, winning Tinnionesque football.

Ratings:

Phillips: 7 Decisive in his keeping today and showed alertness and bravery coming off his line. No chance with the goal.

Coles: 7 Very solid, and linked play well coming forward.

Butler: 8. Commanding at the back. Not sure he meant to score, but they all count.

Hill: 7 Defensively strong and is finally learning to get forward and use the ball slightly more creatively than his usual hoofs into row Z.

Bell: 8 See above. Excellent.

Murray: 6 Slightly quieter than normal today, but tends to drift inside more than he did under Wilson and get into some very dangerous central positions.

Orr: 9. Man of the Match.

Tinnion: Player 7 Great ball in for Brooker's goal and kept the ball moving in midfield. Manager 9. Is starting to get the team playing the way he wants. Exciting attacking football and strong defensively too. Those short sighted people who have been calling for his head should give it a rest now, because he's clearly here for the duration.

Wilkshire: 7 Excellent first half, when he seemed to have so much time on the ball. Took his goal well, though the marking was apalling. Understandably tired towards the end.

Brooker: 8 Good goal, and signs of a good understanding building up between him and Leroy.

Lita: 7. Should have scored 2, especially the Ronnie Rosenthal-ish sitter that he hit against the bar, but gets into some great psotions, and his strength and pace caused Hull problems throughout.

I'm well chuffed :P

Do you believe Orr is a better box to box player than Doc? Is he strong enough to do the defensive job the Doc does?

Difficult to compare as I don't think I've ever seen Tommy play box to box. He usually stops for a breather around the centre circle. Bradley Orr is not necessarily a better player than Tommy now, but I think we will be in time because he has a better attitude.

IMO That back four has to stay as it is for the coming games. Smith still has a game out due to his suspension anyway, but when available should be given a place on the bench at best - make him work his way back into the team.

For me Tony Butler had his best game for us in a long while today, and I think that part of this reason is because all of the back four felt comfortable at all times. In his first season with us, I think I'm right in saying that Carey was injured so the back four from right to left was Coles, Butler, Hill and Bell. That was an extremely good back line, and personally I think it is the strongest one we have at the club at this present time.

Brooker looks like a great buy. Not only is he strong, but he defends, sets up goals, holds the ball up well and can certainly finish. I had doubts about the money paid, however if he continues like this then it could prove to be a shrewd purchase for the club.

As Dave has said, Orr is getting better and better. Does well tracking back, breaking the play up, and getting an attack under way.

Mickey Bell - The best crosser of a ball at the club (possibly in the league). Nice to see him complete 90 minutes, and had a really good game.

Leroy Lita - Could have had at least two, should have had one. If another of our now ex strikers would have hit the bar from that far out, then he would have had a barrel full of abuse thrown at him. There was also another chance in the second half where there were two other players (Brooker and possibly Murray) in the box who were in a much better position to score than Lita who hit the shot over the bar. Yes he likes to shoot, yes he likes to score, but when somebody else is in a better position than you to score, then you pass it.

But our best defence in recent years wasn't Coles, Butler, Hill and Bell !

It was the back four we had last year (surely the stats back this up !) - the one with Coles in the centre.

I think thats his best position and we shouldn't force him to become our regular right-back.

Agree with whats been said about Bradley Orr however - very sound game today.

Dave L's swipe at Doherty is a bit below the belt though isn't it ! Doherty was excellent in the second half of last season and I don't see why he can't recapture that form. Its Doherty and Orr for me.

IMO That back four has to stay as it is for the coming games. Smith still has a game out due to his suspension anyway, but when available should be given a place on the bench at best - make him work his way back into the team.

Wasn't it a three game ban?

Didnt think Danny right back would work, but it did seem to pay off.

Guest Harry May

And lets not forget it was from a perfectly placed corner from Belly that Butler scored . Mickey really did roll back the years today.He seems to have been at our club forever , but today he did have a very good game.

Caldicot Red.

Archived