IGNORED

All This We Must Go Up

cheshire_red

Yes, of course i want promotion, yes it will be a better standard of football, yes most clubs will bring a higher number of travelling support......etc.

However, most clubs and City are the same, experience a dip in crowds if they are struggling in a higher league after a promotion.

Neither Cardiff or Crewe have seen much of an increase this term and neither are struggling. It's ifs and buts but I cannot believe we would have been higher then either if we had been promoted, in fact, probably in a relegation fight.

Crowds are dropping because we aren't winning, the last couple of seasons have seen a significant increase in season ticket sales and average crowds. Until recently that is. The club has significantly dropped the prices on Saturday, however, I reckon 9,000 tops with many season ticket holders absent.

In last nights programme is a bit of history of the games between us and Barnsley:

16/12/03 FA Cup Oakwell 5,400 (away support about 250)

6/12/03 FA Cup Ashton Gate 6,741

22/11/03 Div 2 Aston Gate 10,031

29/3/03 Div 2 Ashton Gate 10,232 (and we were in a very good position)

12/10/2002 Div 2 Oakwell 10,495 (away support 681)

23/03/1999 Div 1 Oakwell 14,733 (their promotion year)

28/9/1998 Div 1 Ashton Gate 12,005

4/2/1995 Div 1 Ashton Gate 6,408

7/12/1994 Div 1 Oakwell 4,305

15/1/1994 Div 1 Oakwell 5,222

16/10/1993 Div 1 Ashton Gate 6,923

The point being that promotion will not significantly increase crowds and therefore our revenue, in fact with promotion bonuses, higher salaries, the hopeful introduction of a few new players, less chance of Live FA Cup coverage revenue if we drew a minnow for a possible giant killing. No LDV money (didn't we clear about £400k last season?) it could lead to even more losses than we are currently experiencing.

SL must surely have worked out the difference to be continually harping on about how we need to gain promotion to help balance the books, the evidence actually proves otherwise.

Has DW been on a bonus to keep us in Div 2? :rolleyes:

Oh dear,you are so way off the mark.Finances in football are not mainly influenced by punters through the turnstiles.The higher up the chain you get the larger the money from tv,sponsorship,and advertising-that is one of the reasons wimbledon survived for so long on #### crowds.Also if the propose move to a premier league 2 scenario goes ahead,then financially those not in the top 2 flights will be seriously disadvantaged.Oh and crowds will increase when the likes of west ham,sunderland,wolves etc come to town.Sorry but you are talking bollox.

Other then my prediction that crowds will not rise significantly the bottom of my post was tongue in cheek, hence the smiley. Whilst the TV revenue will increase a little the demise of ITV Digital has meant that clubs in div 1 are only slightly better off this season (compared to the the ITV Digital Contract, which was mostly unpaid). Advertising and sponsorship will not increase that significantly because there are two clubs in Bristol and unless the Gas are relegated to the Conference local businesses will not sponsor us to the level they would if we were the only league team.

No more than 2/3,000 would turn up for Wolves, West Ham, Sunderland etc than Sheff Wed, QPR, Plymouth. Only slightly more for Walsall, Gillingham, Burnely than for Barnsley Notts C etc.

Yes, of course i want promotion, yes it will be a better standard of football, yes most clubs will bring a higher number of travelling support......etc.

However, most clubs and City are the same, experience a dip in crowds if they are struggling in a higher league after a promotion.

Neither Cardiff or Crewe have seen much of an increase this term and neither are struggling. It's ifs and buts but I cannot believe we would have been higher then either if we had been promoted, in fact, probably in a relegation fight.

Crowds are dropping because we aren't winning, the last couple of seasons have seen a significant increase in season ticket sales and average crowds. Until recently that is. The club has significantly dropped the prices on Saturday, however, I reckon 9,000 tops with many season ticket holders absent.

In last nights programme is a bit of history of the games between us and Barnsley:

16/12/03 FA Cup Oakwell  5,400 (away support about 250)

22/11/03 Div 2 Aston Gate  10,031

29/3/03  Div 2 Ashton Gate 10,232 (and we were in a very good position)

23/03/1999 Div 1 Oakwell    14,733 (their promotion year)

4/2/1995 Div 1 Ashton Gate  6,408

7/12/1994 Div 1 Oakwell    4,305

15/1/1994 Div 1 Oakwell    5,222

The point being that promotion will not significantly increase crowds and therefore our revenue, in fact with promotion bonuses, higher salaries, the hopeful introduction of a few new players, less chance of Live FA Cup coverage revenue if we drew a minnow for a possible giant killing. No LDV money (didn't we clear about £400k last season?) it could lead to even more losses than we are currently experiencing.

SL must surely have worked out the difference to be continually harping on about how we need to gain promotion to help balance the books, the evidence actually proves otherwise.

Has DW been on a bonus to keep us in Div 2?  :rolleyes:

My understanding is that promotion to the first division would increase revenue by something like one to one and a half million pounds.

eeYes, of course i want promotion, yes it will be a better standard of football, yes most clubs will bring a higher number of travelling support......etc.

16/12/03 FA Cup Oakwell  5,400 (away support about 250)

22/11/03 Div 2 Aston Gate  10,031

29/3/03  Div 2 Ashton Gate 10,232 (and we were in a very good position)

23/03/1999 Div 1 Oakwell    14,733 (their promotion year)

4/2/1995 Div 1 Ashton Gate  6,408

7/12/1994 Div 1 Oakwell    4,305

15/1/1994 Div 1 Oakwell    5,222

Has DW been on a bonus to keep us in Div 2?  :rolleyes:

You are so wrong and that is a matter of FACT.

When we were in div 1 we struggled all season I don't think we were out of the bottom 3 yet the average attendance was well over 13,000 so all you post is complete nonsense.

Stumbling in a Wilson Blunderland

If we were in division 1 right now I'm sure we'd be enjoying 16,000 average crowds if we were performing as a mid Div 1 side. With the right manager and with the calibre of players we already have we should certainly be capable of a mid Div 1 existance.

Div 1 BCFC = ticket sales up, BCFC merchandise sales and that certain 'happy' feeling for the discerning BCFC supporter :rolleyes:;);):P:clap: Millwall, Sheff Utd, West Ham, West Brom all in Div 1 and begging to be trounced :P

Archived