IGNORED

Paul Merson

Port Said Red

I haven't seen anyone else mention this but I thought that Mersons reaction to the City fans "ribbing" over his "shady past" was excellent.

For those of you who missed it, when he came down by us to take a corner he was greeted with a chorus of "up the nose, up the nose, Merson takes it up the nose". His reaction was to laugh and make "nose clearing" gestures. After he had taken the corner and the ball was cleared, he turned towards us and clapped.

That, his general play and the way his team played football gained a lot more respect from me for one.

I unfortunately wasn't there, however, I read this previously on the subbers site and can honestly say that his reaction is not a surprise.

A great player with a strong personality. Fair play to him! You get the impression from interviews etc. his previous problems have made him a better person. Certainly not a pampered prima donna anyway!

Yes, but of course what that reaction did, was to shut us up. The whole point of the song was to wind him up and by having a laugh with us, it showed it wasn't working. You notice that after that, we never sang it once. Job done for Merson. However, I have to agree that it was a quality moment from a player who could still play at a higher level. He has my respect.

Archived