IGNORED

City Fans Owe Emlyn Hughes One

Martyn Hocking

not sure if anyone else remembers this one, but back in the late 70s we were playing an end of season home game, scrapping for our lives as usual. Hughes gets the ball on the edge of our box and runs through on goal. The whole crowd holds its breath but Emlyn shouts 'don't worry - i'm not going to score' and duffs it wide of goal.

I asked him about this a few years later and he confirmed that he deliberately missed because the result didn't matter to him and we were desperate for the points.

Having reached the ripe old age of 40, my memory is getting pretty hazy - anyone on here remember the fixture?

Well_Red

not sure if anyone else remembers this one, but back in the late 70s we were playing an end of season home game, scrapping for our lives as usual. Hughes gets the ball on the edge of our box and runs through on goal. The whole crowd holds its breath but Emlyn shouts 'don't worry - i'm not going to score' and duffs it wide of goal.

I asked him about this a few years later and he confirmed that he deliberately missed because the result didn't matter to him and we were desperate for the points.

Having reached the ripe old age of 40, my memory is getting pretty hazy - anyone on here remember the fixture?

Well_Red

RIP Emlyn. Legend.

Guest bristolbred

Well_Red

Crazy Horse was definately a Legend in his lifetime!!, :rolleyes:

Rest in Peace, Topman, :city:

Well_Red

That sounds like first season in Div 1, 1976/77. With 2 games to go, City looked certainties for relegation. City played Liverpool at home on a Monday night. Liverpool had already won the league, and I think they had the FA Cup Final and European Cup Final coming up. City beat them 2-1, with 2 goals I think from Chris Garland. The official attendance was a capacity in excess of 38,000, and even then I can recall gaps in the old open end. That win set up the famous game away at Coventry on the Thursday night of the same week - 2-2 draw with City retaining the ball unchallenged in their half for the final 15 minutes, etc etc. Happy days.

Archived