IGNORED

Tranmere Review

fct

City romped to a 4-0 win against the second placed team in the division, a result that pushes City up to 7th. It was a slightly flattering scoreline but for once City took their chances and sent the high flying Tranmere team packing.

The game set off at a frantic pace and Tranmere enjoyed much of the possession, denying City time and space to create anything, but in turn didn't create anything themselves. Top scorer Ian Hume was well marshalled by Matty Hill while at the other end Leroy Lita was shackled by Michael Jackson. The game descended into a series of petty niggles and Danny Coles and Gareth Roberts clashed, as did Tommy Doherty and former Irish international Jason MacAteer.

City though took the lead on 19 minutes with their first chance. A free kick was nodded on by Dinning and Brooker stole in at the far post unnoticed to slide the ball past a bemused Achterberg.

Tranmere kept to their game and continued to push City back, but the second goal, shortly before half time, knocked the stuffing out of the visitors. There seemed no danger when Luke Wilkshire got the ball 35 yards out but he smashed the ball on the volley high over Achterberg and into the net.

Despite two half time substitutions Tranmere seemed a pale shadow of themselves and as th ehalf wore on City grew in stature, but it took a comic piece of defendign to give City the third, Achterberg and a defender colliding outside the box whilst chasing down a high ball, and Brooker was left with an easy tap-in for 3-0.

City made more chances after that but desperate defending blocked shots, until late on when substitute Steve Gillespie was pulled down in the box and Wilkshire scored from the spot at the second attempt after his first spot kick was ruled out for encroachment into the box.

Phillips: 6 - not much to do apart from one splendid tip over from a free kick.

Coles: 6 - Dealt with the threat from the left and had a fairly good game.

Butler: 6 - Booked for handball - a little harshly - and coped well in the air with Tranmere's attacks.

Hill: 7 - Another polished performance, a man growing in stature.

Bell: 6 - A quiet game from Mickey but he did what he had to do.

Murray: 6 - Never got going but did threaten a few times. Contributed to city's second half attacks.

Doherty: 6 - An on-and-off game. Booked for handbags with McAteer, misplaced a few easy passes but held the midfield togehter.

Dinning: 7 - Another quietly effective game, box-to-box stuff and made an important goal-saving tackle in the first half.

Wilkshire: 8 - This is a star in the making. Stupendous goal and was at the heart of everything positive.

Lita: 6 - Marked out of the game but made a nuisance of himself nevertheless.

Brooker: 7 - two well taken goals, another briliant signing for City.

Subs:

Orr (for Doherty) 6: - Effective performance.

Gillespie (for Brooker) 6: - Earned a penalty and was sharp up front.

Smith (for Bell) 6: - not much to do but made a few timely tackles.

City romped to a 4-0 win against the second placed team in the division, a result that pushes City up to 7th.  It was a slightly flattering scoreline but for once City took their chances and sent the high flying Tranmere team packing.

The game set off at a frantic pace and Tranmere enjoyed much of the possession, denying City time and space to create anything, but in turn didn't create anything themselves.  Top scorer Ian Hume was well marshalled by Matty Hill while at the other end Leroy Lita was shackled by Michael Jackson.  The game descended into a series of petty niggles and Danny Coles and Gareth Roberts clashed, as did Tommy Doherty and former Irish international Jason MacAteer.

City though took the lead on 19 minutes with their first chance.  A free kick was nodded on by Dinning and Brooker stole in at the far post unnoticed to slide the ball past a bemused Achterberg.

Tranmere kept to their game and continued to push City back, but the second goal, shortly before half time, knocked the stuffing out of the visitors.  There seemed no danger when Luke Wilkshire got the ball 35 yards out but he smashed the ball on the volley high over Achterberg and into the net.

Despite two half time substitutions Tranmere seemed a pale shadow of themselves and as th ehalf wore on City grew in stature, but it took a comic piece of defendign to give City the third, Achterberg and a defender colliding outside the box whilst chasing down a high ball, and Brooker was left with an easy tap-in for 3-0.

City made more chances after that but desperate defending blocked shots, until late on when substitute Steve Gillespie was pulled down in the box and Wilkshire scored from the spot at the second attempt after his first spot kick was ruled out for encroachment into the box.

Butler: 6 - Booked for handball - a little harshly - and coped well in the air with Tranmere's attacks.

Murray: 6 - Never got going but did threaten a few times.  Contributed to city's second half attacks.

Doherty: 6 - An on-and-off game.  Booked for handbags with McAteer, misplaced a few easy passes but held the midfield togehter.

Dinning: 7 - Another quietly effective game, box-to-box stuff and made an important goal-saving tackle in the first half.

Wilkshire: 8 - This is a star in the making.  Stupendous goal and was at the heart of everything positive.

Subs:

Maybe I don't understand things then, the team put in a solid display and did really well (IMO), but yet the majority don't score over 6? :rolleyes::city:

City romped to a 4-0 win against the second placed team in the division, a result that pushes City up to 7th.  It was a slightly flattering scoreline but for once City took their chances and sent the high flying Tranmere team packing.

The game set off at a frantic pace and Tranmere enjoyed much of the possession, denying City time and space to create anything, but in turn didn't create anything themselves.  Top scorer Ian Hume was well marshalled by Matty Hill while at the other end Leroy Lita was shackled by Michael Jackson.  The game descended into a series of petty niggles and Danny Coles and Gareth Roberts clashed, as did Tommy Doherty and former Irish international Jason MacAteer.

City though took the lead on 19 minutes with their first chance.  A free kick was nodded on by Dinning and Brooker stole in at the far post unnoticed to slide the ball past a bemused Achterberg.

Tranmere kept to their game and continued to push City back, but the second goal, shortly before half time, knocked the stuffing out of the visitors.  There seemed no danger when Luke Wilkshire got the ball 35 yards out but he smashed the ball on the volley high over Achterberg and into the net.

Murray: 6 - Never got going but did threaten a few times.  Contributed to city's second half attacks.

Doherty: 6 - An on-and-off game.  Booked for handbags with McAteer, misplaced a few easy passes but held the midfield togehter.

Wilkshire: 8 - This is a star in the making.  Stupendous goal and was at the heart of everything positive.

Subs:

"for once City took their chances" Are we not second top scorers?

You're joking right?

Phillips 7

Coles 7

Bell 7

Hill 9

Butler 8

Murray 7

Dinning 8

Doherty 8

Wiltshire 9

Lita 7

Brooker 8

Thats more like it.

Ah I bow to those with greater knowledge of the game than I. I beg of you learned people, please do your reviews as I shall accept that my knowledge of the game is paltry in comparison and I shall as a result, not stain this forum with my obviously flawed reports.

The Tranmere review was accordingly my last one. I shall from now on watch the games but not share my views on this forum.

The Tranmere review was accordingly my last one.  I shall from now on watch the games but not share my views on this forum.

That would indeed be a shame - I for one appreciate your efforts and read your balanced and informative reviews. Hoping you'll reconsider!

Ah I bow to those with greater knowledge of the game than I.  I beg of you learned people, please do your reviews as I shall accept that my knowledge of the game is paltry in comparison and I shall as a result, not stain this forum with my obviously flawed reports. 

The Tranmere review was accordingly my last one.  I shall from now on watch the games but not share my views on this forum.

its good to read what other fans think about the game

Some fans see what they want to see

Reading what you have wrote your knowledge of the game

is alot better than some people who write on hear

keep the reports coming and don't worry what others think of them

Thanks....its a bit depressing to quickly whack up a report and put down my initial thoughts on a game only to see others smearng it but at the same time not bothering to do a report themselves.

My marks take into account the entire game, not just four moments. For those who mark higher, why so if Tranmere were for the majority of the first half and a bit of the second the better side, despite being the away team?

Again, I stand by my opinion that city for once took their chances; they didn't against Colchester and they missed a hatful of them against MK Dons. This time against Tranmere they were outclassed yet stuck away their first two chances and it must have been a body blow to Tranmere after dominating the half without really creating their own chances.

Thanks....its a bit depressing to quickly whack up a report and put down my initial thoughts on a game only to see others smearng it but at the same time not bothering to do a report themselves.

My marks take into account the entire game, not just four moments.  For those who mark higher, why so if Tranmere were for the majority of the first half and a bit of the second the better side, despite being the away team?

Again, I stand by my opinion that city for once took their chances; they didn't against Colchester and they missed a hatful of them against MK Dons.  This time against Tranmere they were outclassed yet stuck away their first two chances and it must have been a body blow to Tranmere after dominating the half without really creating their own chances.

I agreed with your assessments and would be very sorry if you no longer reported because I enjoy them very much.

Think of it like this. At least people read them and think about them.

One curious point on all players ratings, not just yours, is that they are generally quoted as being from 1 to 10 but usually are from 5 to 8.

Curiously yesterday Wiltshire had a quieter game (except for one wonder goal and two penalties!!) but he is a wonderful player and how much Dinning has improved game by game. Yesterday in the second half he thread through a glorious through ball.

Keep it going.

Archived