IGNORED

A Game Too Far?

Maesknoll Red

• Admin

A lethargic City looked to be half a yard short of pace on their Brentford counterparts, who closed down, chased and harried, City, looking tired were unable to get going. Referee Hall awarded a free kick just outside the City box on six minutes, for a blatant foul by Butler, the well taken free kick (Salako) beat Phillips. This was one of the few decisions he got right, what have Bristolians done to upset him (he was the Ref who gave Swansea the penalty and retake against the gas a week or so ago and the penalty to Torquay in our first game this season).

Wilkshire was knocked off the ball virtually every time he got it, he struggled to find a team mate with a pass ( but he was far from alone in that!!) and if a neutral observer had been told that these players had never seen each other before tonight, they would probably have believed it. Half time couldn't come quickly enough, I'd intended to have a 'dry' night, but was so depressed by the first half display I ventured to the R & W for a quick beer to see me through the second half.

The team came out and there were two changes, Orr and Butler off, replaced by Smith and Tinnion, it sparked an improvement, but still a long way from the performances of Saturday and Tuesday, was the decision to play this game tonight instead of Sunday, a mistake? Some of the ball control (or lack of it) was unacceptable for professional footballers, the midfield failed to support the front two, who also didn't shine, although Brooker did have a couple of chances.

As the game wore on Gillespe replaced Bell and had a goal bound shot blocked, City continued to press and had another couple of chances either saved by the keeper or a defender on the line, it looked to be one of those nights. But Lita showed why Tinnion keeps the faith in him, he chased a long ball from Phillips, that looked comfortable for the Brentford keeper to deal with, but as he appeared to suffer a moments indecision - whether to clear or let it run a couple of feet back into his box - he slipped, the ball passed him with Lita just in front of the defender, giving Lita an early xmas gift.

Tinman had a get out of jail card in his back pocket tonight and hopefully the replay will see the players looking sharper, Brentford didn't look anything special, they had done their homework ( apparently their Manager was at our last two games) and Wilkshire, Murray and Brooker all had three men on them as soon as they got the ball, City's apparent tiredness stooping them finding a way to counter this.

We can and should beat them in the replay, but I feel with the LDV coming up as well, its a game we could do without.

Oh, as a final thought, get Dining into the office tomorrow, talk to Wigan and get him signed, he was conspicuous by his absence.

• Admin
I think he'd (Dinning) surely cost more than what you got for Roberts! Don't know what your financial is but I guess a cup run and maybe offloading a player would help?

His contract is up at the end of the season and he isn't featuring in the Wigan side, I doubt if he'd cost more than a nominal fee.

Archived