IGNORED

We Love You Torpey

whooosh

Oh dear, didn't look good on HTV News, "what a load of rubbish" and 'booing' at half-time and Full-time, wonder what pearls of wisdom Atkins might come out with! Good on you Torpey!

And to think, that was Rover's first loss there this season, and people say our fans are fickle?

:grr::dunno:

Guest MaloneFM

Before we all get carried away concerning the football genuis of the Torpinio. For our younger readers here is a description.

Mr Steven Torpey..signed from Swansea as top scorer. Said he crawl across the Severn Bridge to play for City. Scored on his debut and went off with a head injury that would have killed normal people.

After that..not much. Imagine Roberts without the falling down and running in circles and with half the chip...but still a chip. Imagine Brooker half as talented and twice as lazy. He held the ball up too. Sometimes for about three days.

As a central defender very good but on his job description it said 'striker'.

Imagine a slow Danny Coles that swore MUCH more than him and ran less.

Imagine people weeping with joy and thinking...'keep the receipt..keep the receipt' when S****horpe made him their record transfer and we got a HUNDRED THOUSAND pounds for him!

Now imagine this man blancmange scoring against the Gas.

Sorts of puts all this 'we are going up' rubbish in perspective doesn't it?

Before we all get carried away concerning the football genuis of the Torpinio. For our younger readers here is a description.

Mr Steven Torpey..signed from Swansea as top scorer. Said he crawl across the Severn Bridge to play for City. Scored on his debut and went off with a head injury that would have killed normal people.

After that..not much. Imagine Roberts without the falling down and running in circles and with half the chip...but still a chip. Imagine Brooker half as talented and twice as lazy. He held the ball up too. Sometimes for about three days.

Imagine people weeping with joy and thinking...'keep the receipt..keep the receipt' when S****horpe made him their record transfer and we got a HUNDRED THOUSAND pounds for him!

Malone mate, the 3 wise men sold him for TWO hundred thousand pounds. A fine bit of business.

BS4

That "head injury" was still causing him to have dizzy spells and sickness after games for nearly a year. The guy was a hardworking target man and knew his limitations. I would like to ask the players around him what they felt hos contribution to the team was, because I think they will tell you it was always 100%.

That "head injury" was still causing him to have dizzy spells and sickness after games for nearly a year. The guy was a hardworking target man and knew his limitations. I would like to ask the players around him what they felt hos contribution to the team was, because I think they will tell you it was always 100%.

I can always remember him coming back to defend set pieces, clearing them and chasing them up field. Work rate was top notch.

Can also remember him hitting the post at Watford when we lost 1-0 (Division 1). Can't remember much else about him though - I'm only ickle!

torpey- the most under-rated player city have ever had!! :P:) i remember when we were in the div 1 mire, and we went away to oxford on a depressing, cold, rainy winter day and drew 0-0 but torpey tried his heart out for the lads. As much as he clearly never had the skill, you could never fault him for effort!! legend!! :city:

Agree with everything but the lazy really - don't think Chief Clown Torpey could ever be accused of lazy - as I remember he used to run his heart out for the team.

Frankly the greatest centre half ever to play up front for the city. A man of extremely limited football ability who worked damn hard to make the best of what he had and carve out a career for himself in the lower divisions - a lot of young players could learn a thing or two from that.

Good luck to him and thank you Mr T for Saturday.

Yeah. Torpey used to run his heart out for City. I'd rather watch a team of hard working players like that. Than a bunch of obviously skilled players who only think they need to play for 15 minutes of a game.

Torpey is the kind of player that I cannot abide to watch. Not only does he lack skill and any sort of mobility his only obvious talent - his height - meant that when he played the way to accommodate him was to hoof the ball up to him. I couldn't believe we got £200k.

Having said all that he is an effective player at Div 4 level and did make a telling contribution to City. Just not the sort of contribution I'm happy to pay money to watch. Yes, I want players to work hard for the shirt but sometimes hard work is just not enough. Give me just 15mins of Jacki playing with a hangover and I'd take that willingly rather than of 90mins from Torpey!

Torpey is the kind of player that I cannot abide to watch.  Not only does he lack skill and any sort of mobility his only obvious talent - his height - meant that when he played the way to accommodate him was to hoof the ball up to him.  I couldn't believe we got £200k.

Having said all that he is an effective player at Div 4 level and did make a telling contribution to City.  Just not the sort of contribution I'm happy to pay money to watch.  Yes, I want players to work hard for the shirt but sometimes hard work is just not enough.  Give me just 15mins of Jacki playing with a hangover and I'd take that willingly rather than of 90mins from Torpey!

But jacki was an exceptional player.

Would you rather have torpey or thorpe?

Torpey new his limitations but played to the best of his ability. Thorpe knew how good he could be and never tried to get there.

But jacki was an exceptional player.

Would you rather have torpey or thorpe?

Torpey new his limitations but played to the best of his ability. Thorpe knew how good he could be and never tried to get there.

OK bit unfair to compare Torpey with Jacki! :) But to answer you question I'd take Thorpe over Torpey every time, even though some statto has proved that Thorpe only scored a handful of telling goals that won points compared to Torpey's goals. (Most of Thorpe's came when we were already in the lead apparently). Might not be fashionable to like Thorpe any more, but there you are.

Thorpe was skillful, had vision to play a team mate in, and knew where the goal was even if he was lazy greedy git. I'd still watch him every time if it's a question about entertainment.

People used to moan about Goater's workrate too but it was precisely because he didn't knacker himself out chasing lost causes he had the composure to score when the chnaces came along. Same with Thorpe.

P.S. I prefer my strikers arrogant too, especially ones that wear white boots! Strikers are like lead singers as far as I'm concerned. You might not want one as a mate but if you're looking for a performance then selfish arrogant wannabes is what I go for (footballing wise!) :city:

OK bit unfair to compare Torpey with Jacki!  :) But to answer you question I'd take Thorpe over Torpey every time, even though some statto has proved that Thorpe only scored a handful of telling goals that won points compared to Torpey's goals. (Most of Thorpe's came when we were already in the lead apparently).  Might not be fashionable to like Thorpe any more, but there you are.

Thorpe was skillful, had vision to play a team mate in, and knew where the goal was even if he was lazy greedy git.  I'd still watch him every time if it's a question about entertainment.

People used to moan about Goater's workrate too but it was precisely because he didn't knacker himself out chasing lost causes he had the composure to score when the chnaces came along.  Same with Thorpe.

P.S.  I prefer my strikers arrogant too, especially ones that wear white boots!  Strikers are like lead singers as far as I'm concerned.  You might not want one as a mate but if you're looking for a performance then selfish arrogant wannabes is what I go for (footballing wise!)  :city:

Ahhh. so you like crap good uns rather than good crap uns.

Thorpe was all those things you said about him but he also failed to deliver. I could see how good he could be but was just left frustrated and bitter about the way he played.

Skill is always overated.

Ahhh. so you like crap good uns rather than good crap uns.

Got it in one!

This is probably down to the fact that I always considered myself a crap good 'un rather than a good crap 'un when in truth I was actually a crap crap un! :)

Skill is always overated.

Eh? Guess we'll have to agree to differ. :D

Good chatting ZK! Now, haven't you got some Okapis to muck out??? :city:

Archived