IGNORED

Steve Lansdown Upset At Cup Losses

A Horse With No Name

I see in tonights EP that our chairman is upset at the fact that we have potentially lost £500,000 by being knocked out of both cups in less than a week. Well excuse me, but I remember him saying before the Brentford replay that he was happy to see a virtual reserve team play, due to the fact that we had another game 48 hours later. It was a case of grabbing the £75,000 from Sky. He and Tinnion really should have seen the wider picture, which was almost certain progress to the third round had we won last Thursday. It was of course a futile excercise anyway, playing an under strength team, because we got hammered on the Saturday anyway. It just seems to me that he is bleating now that the horse has bolted.

I can see what he means with the FA Cup money as losing a penalty shoot out cost a fair bit of guaranteed money plus another big pay day on the assumption that they would have then progressed to the 3rd round.

But to say we lost another £200,000 by losing to Swindon is stretching it a bit - we were eliminated at the "last 16" stage of a competition that only produces a big money day for the 2 finalists.

I would have thought that he could have put a more positive spin on the whole thing by saying that our FA cup replay and exit against Brentford brought us an unexpected £85,000 bonus in TV money (£75,000 for the Brentford match, plus another £10,000 for the televised match against Tranmere which we would not have got if we had reached round 3) as well as the opportunity to focus totally on the league.

I think that it was a case of counting chickens and ending up with egg on the face - but I'm not one to mix metaphors.

Well excuse me, but I remember him saying before the Brentford replay that he was happy to see a virtual reserve team play, due to the fact that we had another game 48 hours later. It was a case of grabbing the £75,000 from Sky.

Are you sure he said that?

I remember him saying that he wanted City to win the replay as there was money at stake in round 2 with a BBC showing? Can't find the story on the web site though.

I see in tonights EP that our chairman is upset at the fact that we have potentially lost £500,000 by being knocked out of both cups in less than a week. Well excuse me, but I remember him saying before the Brentford replay that he was happy to see a virtual reserve team play, due to the fact that we had another game 48 hours later. It was a case of grabbing the £75,000 from Sky. He and Tinnion really should have seen the wider picture, which was almost certain progress to the third round had we won last Thursday. It was of course a futile excercise anyway, playing an under strength team, because we got hammered on the Saturday anyway. It just seems to me that he is bleating now that the horse has bolted.

At Brentford, we did neither one thing or the other.If we'd fielded the reserves and lost, then you could see a clear strategy.

But the team was a mixture and, in fairness, it was only two awful penalties by LM & LL that cost us victory and progress to the next round.

There are lots of opinions one way or the other but, with the benefit of hindsight, you have to say it backfired and we'd have been as well off playing our first XI, although, we did that at Swindon and that shows there are no guarantees in football, because we lost there as well!

I think what SL is saying is that we needed the money and lots of us were saying that before the game and have said it since.

Simply put, we can't afford to turn our nose up at somewhere between £300-750k.

Perhaps the lesson is, always play your strongest team and bring the players on the fringe in to cover injuries & loss of form, 1 or 2 at a time :D

I certainly think we've learned that we'd be better of with a quality squad of, say 20/22, as opposed to a large squad of 30 packed with players of an average standard.

I wouldn't be surprised if, when we play Doncaster & Blackpool, that LM or LW, cost more than both of those sides first XI's to assemble.

Sobering thought :D

Are you sure he said that?

I remember him saying that he wanted City to win the replay as there was money at stake in round 2 with a BBC showing? Can't find the story on the web site though.

I think what he actually said was that "whatever team BT puts out, he would support the decision and that it would be done with the interests of the club at heart". That to me means that he would have been happy with a full reserve side out there, although it was hardly that in the end.

One other point. I believe that football clubs, when budgeting for the season ahead, do not take into account cup matches. Therefore any progress in any of the three cups has to be a bonus. Therefore, whinging about losing potential money is just silly. You cannot lose what you never had in the first place.

One other point. I believe that football clubs, when budgeting for the season ahead, do not take into account cup matches. Therefore any progress in any of the three cups has to be a bonus. Therefore, whinging about losing potential money is just silly. You cannot lose what you never had in the first place.

I guess we made a reasonable sum from the Everton game, and the TV money from the Brentford replay was definitely helpful. However, whether we budgeted for it or not, the fact is that we have lost a (potentially) large amount of money by being eliminated from all three cup competitions by the end of November. Therefore, the board can now probably guess our income figure for the season with a reasonable degree of certainty, because we aren't going to have any further revenue other than that generated by league games. My hunch is that the board therefore know that this season is going to be yet another one where we lose money hand over fist. :dunno:

Guest uncle john

(£75,000 for the Brentford match, plus another £10,000 for the televised match against Tranmere which we would not have got if we had reached round 3) as well as the opportunity to focus totally on the league.

ARE WE PLAYING TRANMERE AWAY ON THE TV? SINCE WHEN?

Guest bristolbred
I see in tonights EP that our chairman is upset at the fact that we have potentially lost £500,000 by being knocked out of both cups in less than a week.

£500,000 is small change to our Board!!, :dunno:

They could pay out what we lost by their bad judgement, with our having three games back to back!!, :dunno:

Good Luck to Hinckley against Brentford, and Good Luck to whoever Swinedon face in the Mickey Mouse Cup!!, :blush:

Archived