IGNORED

The New Wedlock Stand

One Team

Guest MaloneFM

Being an old fart it SHOULD be the Coca Cola EAST END in memory of all those who fought and died in its defence...mainly fought...off the blue and white Zulus in the 70's.

And as they are constantly trading in on the past, (missed the Wurzels? They'll be another performance along later and by the way what happened to the third one, gone the way of the cat?)and the Cheese doing the matchday and Gibbo propping up the bar in the supporters club.

Bearing that in mind a really good name would be the Doctor Martens East End.

With a box given over to Slade should they wish to appear.

It's interesting that very few people, if any, are questioning whether this development will actually take place at all. The board say that the decision whether or not to proceed is to be taken at the end of January. I would suggest that our league position at that date will have a large influence on whether the project gets the nod or not. If we're stuck in mid-table and promotion seems a long way away, I imagine that the decision will be deferred for at least another year. It's a huge financial commitment for the club, so we have to be sure that it isn't going to kill us financially.

Well that ultimately is the big question at the moment. But i don't think our league position come 31st January is neccissarily going to dictate whether we proceed.

The point behind this development, evidenced from the fact we are only gaining 1000 seats, is not really to dramatically increase the capacity to accomodate higher league football it is to create a facility to replace the dialpidated east end and compliment if you like the rest of the ground and provide a vitally important additional revenue stream for the club.

In this respect i'm not just thinking matchday but also non-matchday. There are a lot of venues currently used around Bristol (in fact i've spent a number of days in the David lloyd just up the road at seminars and conferneces etc...) and we need to get in and compete and take a slice of that revenue to help us survive and prosper. And if it can be run efficently (big question in itself) it can make a nice tidy profit.

Part of putting the club back on a sound financial footing is creating new revenue and this to me is the major point of the develpoment. Our league position i think personally will have little effect. Bearing in mind that we will lose that end for the whole of next season anyway whether we get promoted this season is almost an irrelevance in terms of this development, except of course in attemopting to attract sponsers, which obviously i'm not dismissing.

The club to look at bizarrely is Walsall. Their entire survival as a football club a few years ago was based on the new ground, when they moved to it being used 365 days a year for various events so that the ground itslef is maximised as an income stream and it works exceptionally well for them.

So really i think it would take a dramatic slide in our league position for it to be so bad that they wouldnt proceed. The development as a whole is based around more than just football.

Point 5, I think this is a must, we cannot have a stand that has spaces and gaps either end, must be joined to other stands.

Just look at the Atyeo, neither end joins the Dolman or Williams stand. This just leads to a lack of Atmosphere and a waste of space when more seats could be squeezed in (especially given the fact that we do have space restrictions in and around Ashton Gate).

This has been mentioned many many times in the past, the cost of joining up the stands by filling in the corners is incredibly expensive. Firstly all the stands are at different heights and of completely different designs, and secondly the extra capacity gained from these corner areas is very small compared to the cost of actually doing the work. It may look nice but its not remotely practical.

Anyways, pitches generally stay in better condition in open grounds, we need a nice silky surface to play our football on :P

Chris.

My thoughts:

1) Unreserved seating lower tier for fans who want to sing in unison, therefore being able to congregate together.

2) Low roof. I don't want this stand to have the same effect as the ateo - loads of fans singing, but not as much noise due to the roof.#

3) All home fans - no away.

4) The stands name to remain 'The Wedlock Stand', but also to have 'The East End' on the roof.

5) and finally, how long has this decision took to make?! too long!

My thoughts:

1) Unreserved seating lower tier for fans who want to sing in unison, therefore being able to congregate together.

2) Low roof. I don't want this stand to have the same effect as the ateo - loads of fans singing, but not as much noise due to the roof.#

3) All home fans - no away.

4) The stands name to remain 'The Wedlock Stand', but also to have 'The East End' on the roof.

5) and finally, how long has this decision took to make?! too long!

I agree with all of those points , they have said it will be for just home fans. Which makes you wonder where they will put the away fans? I reckon the corner of the williams , where the singers are at the moment. The artists impressions will be reavieled "soon" by bcfc.co.uk , i'm looking forward to seeing what it will look like.

Archived